Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: FISHING REPORT LAKES OAHE/ SHARPE PIERRE AREA FOR MAY 1ST 2ND 3RD 2019  (Read 8719 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
A typical spring with weather being the main factor in what’s being caught. On the great weather days on both lakes boats are out along with bank fishermen so catches are happening. Sharpe is putting out limits of spawning walleye along with bass in 10 fow or less with mostly minnow or plug presentations Water temps on Sharpe are getting in the 50s in some areas.. Oahe water temps are still around 42 degrees and the northern bite dominates the catches with water temps needing to rise to get a favorable bite going for walleye and bass. Smelt rigs or casting spoons are the main methods for the pike. There is still some runoff dirty water in some areas making unfavorable conditions for catching so if you are coming over watch for water clarity conditions. I along with most guides are looking for the warmest stained (not dirty) water we can find as starting points to guide trips. That usually is shallow water. This time of the year the female walleye are intent on spawning and are very slow to bite so the majority of limit catches are the eating size spawning males. Spring is here so expect the fishing to get better every day we have nice weather warming the lakes and getting the metabolism rates moving in all species. It is great to be back on the water and I am looking forward to seeing many of you again this year. I think the outlook for this year is similar to the last few years with maybe some areas benefiting from both salmon and walleye stocking programs from the last few years but I am taking a that remains to be seen attitude and reserving judgement until more results are available. .I will start posting pictures of catches after this week end but if you are heading out to fish hope for the weather to help your trip out. You should be able to catch fish.

HUTCH’S GUIDE SERVICE

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch