Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Winterizing a 4 stroke.  (Read 5510 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ok, this is the 1st 4 stroke I've ever owned. What do you guys do to winterize?  My new Yamaha has a water jacket flushing port... do I need to do anything with that?

I can't find anything online 😣

I've only ran non-oxy premium in it since start up.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Park it out back.
« Last Edit: September 09/30/19, 08:46:27 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have a Honda 50 and it has gas drains on each cylinder.  I just open and drain out any fuel in them. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm think'in, I'll just run the fuel out, drain and re fill the lower unit...and move the entire boat from the barn to the heated garage and fog the cylinders.

i just don't know about the water jacket flush? Anybody? Buhler?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Ok, this is the 1st 4 stroke I've ever owned. What do you guys do to winterize?  My new Yamaha has a water jacket flushing port... do I need to do anything with that?

I can't find anything online 😣

I've only ran non-oxy premium in it since start up.
call or stop and ask what they do where you bought it from??????? guess that's what I would do.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm think'in, I'll just run the fuel out, drain and re fill the lower unit...and move the entire boat from the barn to the heated garage and fog the cylinders.

i just don't know about the water jacket flush? Anybody? Buhler?
We've only flushed ours, a 02/03 Yamaha 115, once since we've had it ('06) just to see what it did. I think I'd check with your dealer too as yours is probably still under warranty & I wouldn't want to do anything that might void that. Almost all the new 4 strokes are well built & pretty much bulletproof but just in case something would happen I'd see what they say. :scratch: They might even have a couple pointers on the best way to go about it, if they even say you should do it.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just check the lower unit and put it away.  Make sure the motor is all of the way down for awhile so all of the water drains out of it first. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Ours takes a little less than 4 qts of oil & has a oil filter too. So we just stick the vacuum pump hose down the dipstick & change both of them every year as well. We've been using an Amsoil Synthetic in the lower unit for a while so we just check that & if it looks good just fill it back up & we're good to go. Changing it ~ every 2-3 years or so.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had my 2002 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke to this day and have only used non oxy gas the whole time.  I have recently switched from my anual oil change from high quality conventional oil to synthetic and synthetic for my lower unit.  That's all I do except put in some sea foam at the end and run the motor for 20 minutes or so.  Runs as good today as the day I bought it.  It is important to put your motor as far down as possible to drain the water out.  good luck.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Synthethic is all we use as well, some sea foam in the last gas I put in it, then maybe even a little of the Star Brite Enzyme stabilizer just before we put it away.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The motor has been sitting in the lowest position possible for over a week now. I did not see any water dripping.

This is the port I was asking about.... I disconnected it from it's mount and blew some air through there, and about a half cup of water came out of the motor. Is this what I should have done?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'm just a poor union guy, so I wouldn't know!! :pouty: :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That flush port is more for when you run in salt water.  It is to flush the corrosive salt water out of the motor.  As long as you let the water run down out of the power head you are ok.  Really a 4 stroke is just like a car engine as you know.  Shut it off and check the lower unit oil for water contamination.  Other than that let it sit.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The motor has been sitting in the lowest position possible for over a week now. I did not see any water dripping.

This is the port I was asking about.... I disconnected it from it's mount and blew some air through there, and about a half cup of water came out of the motor. Is this what I should have done?
I think LPS is right, the only other reason I could see is for those that run on shallow rivers often & might have some sand from sandbars/silt in the cooling system. Think it would be better to flush it out than run it through the water pump/impeller. We've only had ours apart once, HD, & we hooked up a garden hose to it just to see what happened. Every year since we've put the motor as vertical as possible & let it sit 'til it quits drippin. We've never worried about blowing any air through even the year we flushed it.
« Last Edit: October 10/07/19, 06:14:34 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

HD, I have a Yamaha 60 4 stroke with that same fitting and in 13 years never blown it out. I, like others have said is just put the motor as vertical as possible. But if you are worried about it it doesn’t hurt to blow it out. I wonder what would happen if you just put the motor down and just unscrew the fitting, maybe it would drain that 1/2 cup without pressure?

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought that was for flushing the motor after operating in salt water.   

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I gots a question..... those of you that have a Yamaha....does it take a special spark plug wrench? I can't seem to be able to get the plugs out to fog the cylinders. They look to be 13/16's , but the wall thickness of the socket will not fit.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I do know they make narrower sockets or used to..    good luck!!
« Last Edit: October 10/17/20, 07:15:07 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
No special wrench needed for ours  :confused: We do have a small set (3) of sockets that are designed just for sparkplugs. Looks like it takes a 5/8 on most models to me. :scratch: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=removing+the+sparkplugs+on+a+2019+yamaha+15+hp+outboard&docid=607989132540707618
« Last Edit: October 10/17/20, 08:05:23 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup I got a 5/8's, it doesn't fit. I see the replacement plug spec's in the manual says it's 5/8's. 3/4's almost goes on, so I'm thinking it's 18 mm.....of course, I don't have one  :angry2:

Anyways, I ordered a full set

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I was wondering metric too... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
   :thumbs: We do have a cheap, Harbor Freight, metric deep well set here too but I'm pretty sure, brother usually does that, we use the middle 1 of the plug set & that's 5/8. We been running NGK platinum plugs in ours. Good luck!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, the manual says to use a NGK DPR6EB-9 to replace it.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
You got me curious :scratch: so I had to check it out. Our little set is made by Stanley & the sizes are 5/8, 3/4, & 13/16. Very handy & gets used a lot this time of year. 
« Last Edit: October 10/18/20, 10:51:12 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The set that I bought, is a set of 4:
14 mm
5/8's (which is very close to 16 mm)
18 mm
and a 13/16's

I already have several 5/8's and 13/16's, but they all have a thick wall.
These are made for Yamaha dirt bikes, and have a thin wall.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Never really checked before :doofus: but ours are ~ 1/2 the wall thickness of our deep well sets.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I gots a question..... those of you that have a Yamaha....does it take a special spark plug wrench? I can't seem to be able to get the plugs out to fog the cylinders. They look to be 13/16's , but the wall thickness of the socket will not fit.

HD,no need to fog cyclinders on your 4 stroke,just to be safe drain your lower unit incase you have a hairline crack in the housing and water seeped in,easy pezzy,that's it unless you don't use non-oxy fuel.running yammie since 2000.nothing has changed for winter storage after all these years and 4 new tillers.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

HD,no need to fog cyclinders on your 4 stroke,just to be safe drain your lower unit incase you have a hairline crack in the housing and water seeped in,easy pezzy,that's it unless you don't use non-oxy fuel.running yammie since 2000.nothing has changed for winter storage after all these years and 4 new tillers.

I take my Suzy in but I think it is stabil the gas, change the oil, change the lower unit lube, change the external gas filter, anti freeze in live wells.  Read out the computer.   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always just shut mine off.  Move tilt all of the way up and then down twice and then of course leave it down so water runs out.  Drop lower unit oil till spring.  Done deal.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yeah....it's a brand new motor, and was thinking I should fog the cylinders. I've never done it on ANY thing else I've ever owned. And I've never had a problem....oh well...

It's snowing outside, and it won't be ran till next spring.....