Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: pheasant & turkey stamps  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
    New paintings chosen for pheasant and turkey stamps.

:reporter; :DNR.....

:Clap:.....
Mark Kness of Freeborn won the Minnesota Pheasant Habitat Stamp contest and Stephen Hamrick of Lakeville won the Turkey Habitat Stamp contest. Both of the annual contests took place Sept. 19 and are sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

:happy1: ....
This was the first time Mark Kness has won the pheasant stamp contest. His painting, selected by judges from among 11 submissions, will be featured on the 2020 pheasant habitat stamp. Other finalists were Mark Thone of Shakopee in second place, Stephen Hamrick of Lakeville in third place and Nicholas Markell of Stillwater in fourth place.

In the turkey stamp contest, Hamricks painting was selected by judges from among nine submissions, and will be featured on the 2021 turkey habitat stamp. Other finalists were Micah Hanson of St. Charles in second place and Mark Kness in third place.
image of turkeys
Stephen Hamrick of Lakeville won the Turkey Habitat Stamp contest.

The pheasant stamp validation for hunting is $7.50 and is required for pheasant hunters ages 18 to 64. For an extra 75 cents, purchasers can receive the validation as well as the pictorial stamp in the mail. It also is sold as a collectible. Revenue from stamp sales is dedicated to pheasant habitat management and protection.

The 1996 Minnesota Legislature authorized the turkey stamp at the request of turkey hunters. The DNR uses stamp revenue for wild turkey management and research, and incorporates the cost of a turkey stamp into the price of the hunting license no additional purchase is required.

A pictorial turkey stamp costs 75 cents and can be purchased with or without a turkey hunting license.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10/04/19, 03:27:59 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Oh boy, here comes Revs and a few other entries. :shocked: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Oh boy, here comes Revs and a few other entries. :shocked: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Whose "Revs"? Did you mean me? If so, no way. Not after sending in my authentic, lifelike wild terkey pics three yeas in a row and getting nasty denial letters. Nope. Not me. Find someone else  :moon:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10/04/19, 10:21:32 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I was disqualified.  Turns out they wanted a pheasant stamp.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was disqualified.  Turns out they wanted a pheasant stamp.

Well, ya shoulda known it's spelled "Fezzant" ... just like terkys and skwirrels. :bonk:
« Last Edit: October 10/04/19, 10:21:51 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
turkey stamp? why? oh yeah extra $$ for dnr doin nothing,turkey's in our state should be declared 'nusence" birds like yotes n fox breed like rabbits found every where nowa days

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually, superb paintings. I just don't see how they can make them so real looking, I have a terrible time drawing a stick figure! I see one of the almost-won entrants is a local guy.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nice Steve-O! I drew a crude imitation of the original Reb-brandt in the dust on the kindly neighbor's grain dryer one year when he was drying corn yet around Thanksgiving. Somehow he was not amused... :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Apparently he hadn't a critical eye for real art.  :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
On a serious note... It must be really hard to judge these entries each year.  I don't think it is simply a contest to see who painted the best picture this year.

They probably have to consider that what looks really good on a full sized painting might not look as good on a 2 inch stamp. 

Plus they probably compare the current entries against the full body of previous stamps.  They might not be as keen to select a painting that was similar to one selected before.

Then again, what do I know.  I painted a couple of peasants.
 :crazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yer related to Delmar, aren't you?

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)