Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Usin gills/perch as Bait  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
    Using bluegill or perch as Live Bait.....

NOTE...... Before reading dis article, I understand using this system is not legal in Minnesota. :bow:

:coffee: ......
In many states like Wis. they are called panfish. However in Minn. der called game fish. I am in no way trying to convince anyone to break any state laws! :tut: I would like to see if any of you would like ta see it made legal. What are yer thoughts  please post yer 2 cents on dis topic. :bow:

:coffee: .....
There are literally thousands of various fishing lures in the world these days, but there’s nothing quite like the natural appeal of live bait. One such piece of live bait that has proven to be effective at catching species like bass and catfish is bluegill. In fact, Manabu Kurita, a Japanese fisherman, used a live bluegill to catch the current world record largemouth bass a few years ago. Today, you’ll learn some tips on how to use bluegill as live bait in different ways. Keep reading to learn more.

Using bluegill as bait is a tricky thing. For starters, you definitely can’t just grab a big gill off the stringer and cast it out. For the best effect, you’ll need to make sure the bluegill you use is small enough (below five inches) to appeal to a wide variety of bass. Make sure the bluegill is lively, as well, since bass will hone in on the natural movements of it and react in kind.

To rig the bluegill, use a large hook and hook the fish in the meat of its back, just below the dorsal fin. Without harming the fish’s organs, make sure the hook is secure. Hooking any organs will kill the fish rapidly and prevent it from moving naturally in the water.

There are also anglers who use cut gills as bait for catfish. Catfish prefer a lot of scent and cut bluegills can mean using two different tactics: cutting the gills up or bleeding them. When cutting up the gills, most use either the head or the body as their bait of choice. The head is good because it provides a solid anchor for hooks, while the midsection is filled with organs that emit a strong scent. Either way, each gill provides two opportunities for bait. To use bleeding, but live gills, rig them as you would for bass, but make a shallow cut along their body. This leaves a trail of blood in the water that catfish zero in on.

While using bluegill as bait is highly effective, you’ll want to make sure it’s permitted in your state before trying it out, as it’s banned in a few states. Either consult your local DNR website or office, or check the posted signs at the boat launch when you head out for the day. If allowed, spend a few moments on the water putting together a stringer of small gills and then head out. Bluegill are one of the most popular prey items for bass and other fish, so using one is a great way to fill the livewell the next time you hit the water.

note...
In Wisconsin da panfish used must be caught in da lake yer fishin and counted in yer daily bag limit.

Read more at https://www.liveoutdoors.com/fishing/167561-using-bluegill-as-live-bait/#EU5i2rdt5fg8uq3R.99

So what's yer thoughts on dis topic  :scratch:
« Last Edit: October 10/30/19, 01:15:09 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
first off.......who in the right mind would use one of the best eating fish there is in a sunfish to catch a second rate fish like bass!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :doofus: :doofus: :confused: :doah: :doah: :doah:

no i wouldnt use a sunfish, also called a panfish in Minnesoyda, for bait. yes i would use a perch for bait if legal, but for walleyes or pike. our family when we catch those things called bass.....we rid them of the lake by giving them to our stepdad...........who is obviously from wisconsin and dont know better!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
first off.......who in the right mind would use one of the best eating fish there is in a sunfish to catch a second rate fish like bass!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :doofus: :doofus: :confused: :doah: :doah: :doah:

no i wouldnt use a sunfish, also called a panfish in Minnesoyda, for bait. yes i would use a perch for bait if legal, but for walleyes or pike. our family when we catch those things called bass.....we rid them of the lake by giving them to our stepdad...........who is obviously from wisconsin and dont know better!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: Just a tad... :offtopic: :rotflmao:

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
The cut tails put on a lead-head make great bait......just asked my fishing buddy the same thing. We agree. Hell yea.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bluegills and sunnies are used down south for catfishing. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Da lake I guide on in southern Wisconsin has an abundant small perch population. Lots-a folks start da mornin catchin small perch ta use fur bait. This method is most popular in da Fall of da year.

It's a great bait fur Smallmouth & Northern!

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I see no difference in that than overnite funnel baiting for creek chubs....and yer allowed to catch yer own minnows for bait, except in infested waters, milfoil exempt. Chubs are monnows to me...and everthings infested down here.....might as well just use plastics and say to hell with everything else. Gotten to the point ya need a computer to keep track of all the rules here. Maybe that's one reason why the decline in so many young people fishing.
« Last Edit: October 10/30/19, 07:29:42 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
might as well throw "goldfish" in the mix,word is they are killer for pike,but thats what I'm told.....honest.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Reb,buddy lives in northfield fishes the walleye circuit traps his own redtail chubs in his back yard,said his creek is full of em along with native brookies.

OT here but tell me if you have a canada goose herd down there like the old days? miss running to rochester for those giant honkers,my setup was 40 acers just north of the gravel pit along city border next to HQ if they are still around,some tell me they still stop late season into december unless the river/lake locks up,any truth?
« Last Edit: November 11/01/19, 09:32:47 AM by snow1 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes!!! I lived right along that line, south of the gravel pit on the north line!  *HONK*BLAM!* :shocked: