Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sore back and tired arms but the cannas are dug  (Read 7744 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I dug about half of the areas I planted but will have plenty for next year.  I remember someone wanting canna bulbs.  I have plenty more ready to dig.  Otherwise they will stay in the ground and freeze over winter. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Holy cripes.....ya gonna open a mail-order greenhouse?! That'a a LOT of digging!  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 06:07:09 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it was Reinhard...  If I remember right!!!
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 07:16:40 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think it was RH. You cheat deadeye! That ain't the heavy black clay loam stuff I have to dig mine out of.  :pouty:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I think it was RH. You cheat deadeye! That ain't the heavy black clay loam stuff I have to dig mine out of.  :pouty:
:violin: :violin: :violin: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
         "Sore back and tired arms but the cannas are dug"

:sorry: I can relate ta dat situation.  :scratch: I remember 55 years ago when Borgie & I went on our honeymoon :popcorn: ..... By da time we got back home I had a sore everything :doah: But, did I complain..... :embarrassed: NO! I knew I had given it my best effort and was well pleased wit myself wit da mission being acomplished :sleazy:

Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
         "Sore back and tired arms but the cannas are dug"

:sorry: I can relate ta dat situation.  :scratch: I remember 55 years ago when Borgie & I went on our honeymoon :popcorn: ..... By da time we got back home I had a sore everything :doah: But, did I complain..... :embarrassed: NO! I knew I had given it my best effort and was well pleased wit myself wit da mission being acomplished :sleazy:
:pouty: :pouty: :puke: :puke: :surrender: AWE GAWD!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
She offered her honor...And I honored her offer....And all true da night....It was honor and offer.....And offer and honor.

OK! now yous' guys stop goin.... :offtopic:  :tut:
« Last Edit: October 10/25/19, 01:03:47 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So I find it interesting that seeing that snowmobile trailer full of dirt and roots reminded Lee of the debauchery and unknown things done with his beloved on their wedding night....  ?? I think it was his wedding night.  And it was TMI....     :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So I find it interesting that seeing that snowmobile trailer full of dirt and roots reminded Lee of the debauchery and unknown things done with his beloved on their wedding night....  ?? I think it was his wedding night.  And it was TMI....     :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Seriously I think lee snuck out and went looking for crawlers!! :surrender: :moon: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: October 10/25/19, 05:47:32 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Who's led?  :scratch:
Oh stop it picky wicky. :pouty: :mooning: everyone else could figure it out that it was Lee. :rotflmao:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Reminds my why I don't plant Cannas.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh stop it picky wicky. :pouty: :mooning: everyone else could figure it out that it was Lee. :rotflmao:

EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: ya know I'm just jerkin your chain!! :happy1: :rotflmao: your a good sport... Most days. :scratch: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Reminds my why I don't plant Cannas.
Got that right Del!!  :happy1: good thing I ain't telling my wife about these. :sleazy: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They are beautiful but a lot of work it sounds.  SO with the sore arms etc. I am thinking it was Lees first time.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
"Some people were made ta be picked on"   And "Some people were made ta pick on udders"

In dis particular situation "Lee was made ta be picked on!" :doah:

:blues brothers: Bring it on Boys! :happy1:
« Last Edit: October 10/26/19, 12:35:46 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: ya know I'm just jerkin your chain!! :happy1: :rotflmao: your a good sport... Most days. :scratch: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Around here ya haveta be!!!!!!!!!!!   :mooning:  And my sore back and tired arms are from manual labor, not jumpin' up and down and wavin' 'em all over.................. :taz:
« Last Edit: October 10/26/19, 02:55:57 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: well I wax gonna say I get more done by accident then you do on purpose but I won't.  :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Why you..... :taz:  whoops, I mean.... training-087   :green archer:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
"Some people were made ta be picked on"   And "Some people were made ta pick on udders"

In dis particular situation "Lee was made ta be picked on!" :doah:

:blues brothers: Bring it on Boys! :happy1:

Udders?   you and Dotch into dairy cattle now?   Mooooooo

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Careful there delbert. Lee's liable to snap after another devastating Bear's loss.  :rotflmao:

Did the canna bulb digging thing here yesterday. With the lower 20 degree lows forecast figured it was best to dig them now as opposed to wondering why they were all mushy later. Been there done that. Didn't have the massive amount that deadeye did but some of the clumps were yuuuuuge. Was pretty picky about the bulbs I kept. Wound up with a Gator box full and probably tossed another third. In the meantime I dumped all the big planters & pots. Then a buddy came over and wanted some sheep chit for his garden. Pitched him a garbage can and a half dozen pails full of the heavy duty stuff. Hauled all the canna bulbs into the garage. Spread them out on feed sacks on top of the heated garage floor to dry. After that went to the neighbors to shovel screenings. Can definitely feel all that today.

The cannas are still worth it. They're part of an oasis of flowering plants for hummingbirds, bumblebees and butterflies in the middle of of a sea of corn & soybeans. I'm betting given his location deadeye sees even more of the same.
« Last Edit: October 10/28/19, 09:48:03 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do they haveta be dug up every Fall?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Rebel SS, only if you intend to have them grow next year.  Once frozen, the bulbs turn to mush in spring.  A few will sprout from seeds but for the most part they will be gone.  Just like glad bulbs and dahlias (yes I have them also). 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup at least here in frozen ground land. They are originally from the tropics so there not so much unless you want to establish them somewhere else. Am letting them dry and in a few weeks I can sort through them one more time and weed out any that are suspect. Then pack them in boxes with shredded paper and stuff them in the crawl space until spring.