Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Checking out a spot to cut Black Ash  (Read 1296 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A friend of mine cuts his own lumber to make fantastic furniture and other wood products.  Last year he cut a number of black, green and white ash on my land and used his portable saw mill to make lumber.  That lumber was in a solar kiln over winter and is now ready to be used.  Yesterday we went to check out another black ash stand on my land.  While there we found a huge birch tree with at least 4 crotches.  He makes bowls vases and other items from the tree crotches.  The massive log will be cut in 2 inch slabs for table tops.  birch has a unique "heart" wood center which makes very interesting wood slabs.  Also on the agenda was cutting 3-5 dead elms. Two reasons to cut them.  First of all three were dropping limbs on my plots and trails and secondly he wanted to check to see if they were "spalted".  Spalting is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi. Although primarily found in dead trees, spalting can also occur in living trees under stress. Although spalting can cause weight loss and strength loss in the wood, the unique coloration and patterns of spalted wood are sought by woodworkers.  To his delight, several of the elms were spalted. 

Buddy ready to drop a very big birch tree.

We found spalting in this dead elm standing in the middle of a small food plot.

Yes, there was an old deer stand in this dead elm.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Very cool Deadeye.   Any pictures of the spalting or birch slabs?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No, the birch log is still out in the woods.  Waiting until it freezes a bit more before he brings his saw mill out there. I will take some pictures of spalting when he cuts some boards. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***