Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 92430 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
If you have room try pearl onions,  tasty little guys. I like to add a couple small sliced serrano peppers to the bread n butter pickles also.
I've pickled pearl onions. No need to add onions to them.  :rotflmao: I do add a few tia chili peppers to gives them a bite. Man they are tasty. :happy1: but a royal pain in the  :moon: to clean. And it takes almost a bag and a half to fill a pint jar  :banghead: :banghead:
Use smaller jars!! :bonk: :doah:                                                                :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:
:doofus: :doofus: :pouty: Yea I ain't using the next size down jars. :tut: :tut:

I got enough canning jars as it is. :doofus: :doofus:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Probably don't have enough RUSTY rings for the smaller jars though, so you :doofus: wouldn't be able to do it right anyway. ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Probably don't have enough RUSTY rings for the smaller jars though, so you :doofus: wouldn't be able to do it right anyway. ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

now dats funny!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut:  :pouty: :pouty: :taz: :taz: :banghead: training-087 training-087 training-087

Yea so . :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So this green bean program isn't as smooth sailing as I thought it would be.  Everyone has sent their extra seeds back to the companies they got them from.  A lady may have some from last year but she has to find them yet.  Oh well.  I will be ready for next years planting season. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So this green bean program isn't as smooth sailing as I thought it would be.  Everyone has sent their extra seeds back to the companies they got them from.  A lady may have some from last year but she has to find them yet.  Oh well.  I will be ready for next years planting season.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: i was in fleet farm one day last week and they still had a whole rack full of seeds?????????

it could be a tad late to this year being your up in the tundra region!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: also be ready to protect them young shoots from the bunnies.........they really like the young bean shoots.......... :angry2: :confused:
« Last Edit: July 07/13/20, 10:45:05 AM by glenn57 »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I would be more worried about the bunnies that stand about 3 feet tall and are a reddish brown this time of year. Dam thins get all kinds of stuff in our yard.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just found out that our local sweet corn producer has their 1st truck in town this morning sitting down in Ace's lot. :happy1: :cool: Harrington's of Nashua Ia, ~ 10 miles south of us, & they are into it big. I used to bowl with a couple of the boys & then it was at least 15-20 pickups with around 50 dozen or so on 'em goin out everyday with fresh picked stuff. They're so big that they cover 30-40 miles in every direction & even our local Hy Vee & Fareway buy from them. Always great corn, I really like their earliest kind.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just found out that our local sweet corn producer has their 1st truck in town this morning sitting down in Ace's lot. :happy1: :cool: Harrington's of Nashua Ia, ~ 10 miles south of us, & they are into it big. I used to bowl with a couple of the boys & then it was at least 15-20 pickups with around 50 dozen or so on 'em goin out everyday with fresh picked stuff. They're so big that they cover 30-40 miles in every direction & even our local Hy Vee & Fareway buy from them. Always great corn, I really like their earliest kind.
any i dea what they are currently charging???????? just curious. 2 weeks ago i guess the grocery store was charging 1.75 an ear. yesterday when i went to the veggie stand to get my watermelon and 2 cantalopes they had a sign  sweet corn was 10 bucks a dozen.

i'll wait till later on when all the local corn starts coming and they dont have anywhere to get rid of it!!!!! :happy1: i'm going to need about 5 dozen for what i put up for the winter and what i add to my soup starter/mix i can!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I would be more worried about the bunnies that stand about 3 feet tall and are a reddish brown this time of year. Dam thins get all kinds of stuff in our yard.
damn........you grow big bunnies up there!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

boars still trying to figure that out!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Brother went & got some this afternoon it was $7/dozen or $8/1.5 dozen, takin $8 worth north with us. :cool: They were just comin to town & gettin set up when he seen 'em around 10 or so.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually always stop at those stands, great people and produce.  Had a Farmer by the cabin would use tge honor system at his stand, i would throw an extra buck for him, just incase tge others didn't.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Some good stuff, Maynard! Usually hard to beat their prices too. :cool:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: Some good stuff, Maynard! Usually hard to beat their prices too. :cool:
the watermelon was a tad more expensive. i paid $8.oo for it but was way bigger then the store ones. they had a gaint from texas that was 12 bucks. th cantelope wher 2 bucks each....cheaper then the sales in the big stores. and they are really tasty.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Was always stands up here of melons from down in Muscatine, Ia. Man were they delish, haven't seen 1 of those stands in a long time though now.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey, LPS. I think it’s a little late for pole beans. They generally take longer to be ready to eat than bush beans. The last time I planted them they were coming along just fine about this time of year up to six feet above the ground. One morning I walked out to the garden and found about three leaves left on sixteen plants. Barring an electric fence or a high fence the deer will get them.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks FW.  I have been concerned with it being so late.  All I found is regular beans today.  They said they won't climb very well and it is awful late in the season.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
picked some green beans and pulled some carrots last nite. there would be more iffin i hadnt ate a bunch!!!!! :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

also picked 2 maters!!!! man i love this time of year for all the fresh goodies!!!!!!!!!

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my garden. Mostly tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. One green pepper plant. The little tomato plant closest on the left is a heirloom tomato my family has been growing for years. We call it a Toland tomato after my great uncle. He was a farmer and was known for growing huge vegetables. This plant had a rough start, but is doing good now.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Started eating some baby reds tonight.

Grilled veggies from the garden.....Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Beans,Baby Reds, Carrots, Yellow Squash, Zucchini.

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Started eating some baby reds tonight.

Grilled veggies from the garden.....Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Beans,Baby Reds, Carrots, Yellow Squash, Zucchini.

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
:happy1: you must have a 20 acre garden  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I actually have 2.....1 here and a large 1 at my daughters place.

Plus our perennials

5 apple trees....Zestar, Chestnut, Honeycrisp, Honeygold, Snow Sweet
3 plum trees......Waneta, Toka, Pipestone
2 pear trees
red raspberries
Rhubarb
yellow raspberries
purple raspberries
5 kinds of strawberries
asperegus
20 blueberry bushes.....just started picking these today.
12 juneberry bushes.....just finished picking these for 22 pies.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ken, the Juneberries you have, are they the same thing as a serviceberry? Have some of what are probably Saskatoon serviceberry but they're primarily for the wildlife. They're usually long gone before I get a crack at them. A little seedy although I like the canned Saskatoon berry jam from Canada. Would like to try plums again altho I've been advised to move them away from the wild plum thicket if I do. Too much potential insect and disease pressure from that old thicket I was told when my Mt. Royal plum bit the dust after ~ 5 years. Also curious, what kind of pear trees do you have? Looks like a good pear crop coming here considering our trees were planted less than 10 yrs. ago. Saw a customer's pear trees today that are more recently planted and the one was loaded as well. Even the pollinator had a few on it.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have Loma and Hudar pears. Put then in last year, So they are still small. Both are supposed to be self fertile. Got them from St Lawrence Nursery in New York.
Yes Juneberry, Saskatoon, and Serviceberry are all the same. I have 4 planted 2 years ago....Regent, Honeywood ,and Martin. Also some that were here when we bought the house. Those are the ones that are bearing heavily.
I lived in Bottineau, ND for 30 years.....Picked wild ones there. You have to put netting over them or the birds will get every one of them as soon as they turn red.
If you plant plums.....Toka is the best pollinator. All the fruit trees are young planted the past 3 years. All are semi dwarf except the pears which are standard.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Sadly, after nearly a month of being gone & working on Mom's house, our garden up here is almost a total loss. More weeds than anything else, might get some tomatoes & raspberries, but it looks like the deer got the peas, beans, onions, & lettuce. The new neighbor was even comin over & givin it a drink a few times when he was up while we weren't.  :pouty:
« Last Edit: July 07/18/20, 10:53:37 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Disappointed in my Jalepenos. The plants are healthy and full of blossoms and peppers but they ate something other theln Jalepeno. :angry2: I will have to start from seeds again next year. My arse is chapped.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My jalepenos and green peppers are going bonkers. I already gave enough jalepenos for 2 batches is salsa. And I've given some away. Think I have enough green peppers for my soup mix also.

After I got unpacked and things out away from the cabin I went through the garden. Picked green beans, enough for my soup mix, tomatoes, both peppers. When I'm done taking care of that kalarabi and carrots are getting my attention. :nerd:

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Now, just which member does this tomato remind us of????

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman