Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 92416 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:confused: yet you need to beg for some.. :scratch:
yep. I need to make a batch of soup mix and 2 batches of salsa. Each batch takes a bushel or so of tomatoes. Plus the pile I eat.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
LPS......how did the salsa turn out?
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty darn good.  It was nice to cut up the green tomatoes as they are harder and easy to cut.  We did add one of those pouches of spices for salsa.  5 tomatoes was exactly 2 lbs which your recipe called for.  I did that in the morning and made 3 qts of refrigerator pickles in the afternoon as we were getting too many cukes in the frig.  Fun day!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Good..... :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

at the rate they are ripening......gonna have a lot of green ones in October.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I got my asparagus weeded. :doofus: holy mackerel. 2 hours and 3 loads with a ranger later gotter done. The friends I have the asparagus at, his wife said put a small amount of the real fine softer salt down and that helps control weeds. He said he talked to a Dotch kinda fella, says there's a weed killer out there that doesn't kill asparagus or raspberries but it's like 400 bucks for 2 1/2 gallons. Holy Hannah.

Got home and now done taking care of 4 dozen sweet corn. Some for soup starter I make. Rest for meals. Currently in the frig chilling.

Stopped at Mom's and watered her garden quick. Talked to her, she said the big garden produce family north of town that sells a pile of garden stuff at farmers markets doesn't have a lot of stuff this year and there blaming it on the lack of pollination

I drive past a place  on my way to work that sells alot of garden stuff and they put up bee hives last year.
« Last Edit: August 08/02/20, 04:41:33 PM by glenn57 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
You weed your asparagus? The General told me not to bother, and burn it off in the fall....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was told by an old farmer to sprinkle some salt around your asparagus.  It will kill the weeds but the asparagus can handle it.  I went to the County salt shed and got me a pail of salt sand mixture.  Way too much brought, brought almost all of it back.  It did kill the weeds for at least a year.  Pretty good anyways.  This was early in our asparagus career so don't remember what the next year asparagus yield was.  I'm thinking it stunted them and now 10 years later the asparagus are fine but so are the weeds.  LOL  I talked to that  old farmers son who is a friend of mine the other day about the salt and asparagus.   He said well my dad must have put too much salt on them cuz all of his asparagus died.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  This is an absolute true story.  Maybe his Dad just overdid it.  ?????

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You weed your asparagus? The General told me not to bother, and burn it off in the fall....
yeppers I did. Also threw some fertilizer on it. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was told by an old farmer to sprinkle some salt around your asparagus.  It will kill the weeds but the asparagus can handle it.  I went to the County salt shed and got me a pail of salt sand mixture.  Way too much brought, brought almost all of it back.  It did kill the weeds for at least a year.  Pretty good anyways.  This was early in our asparagus career so don't remember what the next year asparagus yield was.  I'm thinking it stunted them and now 10 years later the asparagus are fine but so are the weeds.  LOL  I talked to that  old farmers son who is a friend of mine the other day about the salt and asparagus.   He said well my dad must have put too much salt on them cuz all of his asparagus died.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  This is an absolute true story.  Maybe his Dad just overdid it.  ?????
Yea I don't think I'm going there. I'll weed it. Gonna have lots of time. :sleazy:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked green beans for the last time and pulled them. Reb would be proud. :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I pulled the lettuce so I have room to plant the onions you sent me Glenn.  Thanks much!  Will do that today too.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
enjoy......i know spring i sure do!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So you can harvest them in the spring?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
YES........they are the first things you can eat in spring from a garden. by the end of june, first part of july they are donbe. plant them someplace you can keep them permanently, they reseed themselves and wont have to ever replant them if you do it correctly.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mission accomplished. 19 qts and 1 pint of soup mix/ starter done.

Tomorrow salsa!! :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So what is soup starter Glenn?  I know you talk about it but wondered what it really is?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just picked my first two red tomatoes too.   :happy1: :happy1:  Got three more nice cukes too.  Fun!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So what is soup starter Glenn?  I know you talk about it but wondered what it really is?
I see it in stores. Basically about anything in the garden.  Throw it all in a pot. Cook. It, put ion jars seal. Them. I will take beef soup bones or a turkey carcass boil it then add that to it for soups.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds good!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds good Glenn.....pints or quarts

I've got some soup bones in the freezer. Do you bake them nice and brown before adding water?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds good Glenn.....pints or quarts

I've got some soup bones in the freezer. Do you bake them nice and brown before adding water?
[uote]qts. No. Just boil them  till the meat comes off the bone easy.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I noticed some red in the garden yesterday and had two red tomatoes.  What a surprise!  SO for brunch we are having bacon, tomato on Canadian rye bread.  Don't have any lettuce.  That's ok. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
17 pints of salsa in jars. Tired of tomatoes. At least for today  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
a 100% seal rate on all soup mix and salsa. :happy1: :dancinred: :dancinred: :rocker; gotta like that when a plan comes together!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :smoking:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn.....what is your go to soup recipe?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn.....what is your go to soup recipe?
its a soup starter/mix. i add that to beef or boiled up poultry carcasses. i add all these ingredients into one of them blue speckled 7 qt canners to cook. i must warn you all my or most of my stuff comes from the garden so its time consuming to do. the canner full makes about 18-19 qts.

4-9 X13 cake pans of skinned and 1/4ered tomatoes.
all these ingredients i use a colander/noodle strainer.1/2 to 3/4 full
corn
carrots
peas...i buy frozen
cabbage.....at least 2 big heads
green beans
celery........i grow my own for cooking with
onions
peppers
garlic..... this i add about a 1 lb i cant believe its not butter type of container.

i let this cook down a bit then add more tomatoes....the more tomatoes..the prettier red it looks.

bring to a boil and continue to let it slow boil 45 minutes or so. throw in jars, lids and rings.......hot bath for 45 minutes!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, with all those low acid veggies I think water bath canning isn't safe.  Hate to see you get botulism.     I'm thinking your soup mix needs pressure canning.   

Please check it out, maybe with extension or your local health department... Or even the ball blue book.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember my Grandma pressure canning her tomatoes. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, with all those low acid veggies I think water bath canning isn't safe.  Hate to see you get botulism.     I'm thinking your soup mix needs pressure canning.   

Please check it out, maybe with extension or your local health department... Or even the ball blue book.
Del I've been making this for 30 plus years besides eating my mom's who does it  the same way with me issues. What's botulism anyway???

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Del I've been making this for 30 plus years besides eating my mom's who does it  the same way with me issues. What's botulism anyway???

some very nasty stuff, ya don't want it!!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!