Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How to gut and Process a Bear?  (Read 22375 times)

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
I have the opportunity this year to hunt bear in a prime spot, which I'm going to take advantage of.  The only problem is that I have no idea how to gut or clean a bear.  I want to have the meat (obviously ::)) and have a rug made from it.  Can anyone inform me on how to process a bear?  Also, do you gut it like yo would a deer?  Thanks for the help! ;D

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ;D  vary simler to that of a deer , but the only differance is at the wrist to seperate the bones . as far as guting the animal be sure to tie off the anul and urinary end as nothing will wreck the meats flavor faster then bear piss !! but the most important area of protection is in the cooling of the meat, cool it as fast as you can but not to the point that it is going to freez . like cool it for 1 hr. and then place it in a fridg for an hr .  this is vary important in hot weather !! keep doing this till the meat cools to about 60 degrees !! then you can freez it solid . as if you were to freez it solid when at body temp ,the meats center will sour . and definately quarter the carcaus before you cool it down . if you quarter the animal in the woods , DONT PLACE THE MEAT IN DARK GARBAGE BAGS AS THEY ARE MADE OF OLD OIL FORMULAS !!! hope this helps you ? if you need more detailed information you can pm me at any time .   woodchuck  :)
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
im in the same boat. i have found info on how to properly skin the bear for a rug, but still am clueless as how to process the bear. anyone ever do it themselves? or know of a good resource to learn?
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
the best teacher/lesson is to find a experienced bear hunter to help you in advance of the hunt! with this not always being possible the next best try is a neighborhood butcher looking for a case of beer to help you out on your quest! quartering a bear is not different than a deer as i have stated in a previous post. trial and error is the best teacher when experience is in short supply...... error is not an option!! so home work in finding help is your only choice. really go talk to a meatcutter/butcher at the local meat counter......
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
I shot a bear 2 years ago best meat I've ever had skinning is not bad make sure you keep the paws cut at wrist/ankle. Don't forget to save the ribs yummm we just did it like a deer

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks for the info guys. due to the terrain i think im gonna have to quarter the bear to get it out. ill probly do roasts and hamburger mostly. grill the loins up right away. and maybe some chops. that is if i can get one. 2 days so far and no hits. im using donuts, bread soaked in used fryer oil, a bunch of old salad and random food scraps. i feel like im in a good area, but havent even had skunks birds or coons messing with it yet. does it usually take a few days? i am only running one site due to time but have the resources for more. im gonna wait it out a week or so and see what happens. anyone else been running baits?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Go to a local butcher and get beef fat scraps, trimmings.  Bears love them some fat.  Put 5 pounds in an old pillow case, put in a 5 gallon bucket, put cover on bucket and let sit in sun for a couple of days. Hang bag of now very stinky fat high in a tree and let wind do to rest.  When hunting cut fat into 3 inc pieces to prevent bear from doing the grab and run..
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
Day 4 still nothing. I think I'm gonna have to find something real stinky like dakids said. Maybe I will come across some roadkill already ready to go.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
PATIENCE YOUNG MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: sometimes it takes a while. set up another bait or 2 in different areas. dont know how much natural food they have where our baiting, but they'll eat that natural stuff first.

AND DONT GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!  twice i've shot my bear the last weekend of the season.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
i know, i just want results soon because i have some major deer hunting to do this fall as well. has anyone had thier bait sit for a long time with no hits and then had a good number of visits afterwords? this is kind of a trial run for me and i only have this area to hunt as i have no time to find another one. i want to hunt bears but if the deer hunting is going to be more promising then i would rather put my time in there. i will keep at it but if im not getting hits regularly before deer season im wondering if its worth sitting on stand or just cut my losses and head to the deer woods?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I WAS UP BY THE CABIN THIS Weekend and there arent ANY bear hunters around. wierd??????????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: and yea steve, i have had that happen, but its usually after i quit baitin it for a while then restart. i have also had a bait not get touched till like a day or 2 before season.

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
ive had a couple hits now, saw one front paw track that if i remember right was about 4" wide. havent seemed to be too hungry as it just ate what it wanted and left some other stuff there. im glad im getting some activity though. ill be checking it in the morning. i put out 5 gallons of donuts and muffins.

just wondering what the general consensus is? how big should a bear be to get a rug made? i dont know anyone with one, and know its personal preference but wondering what you guys would do? i imaging its not just size but also quality of hide?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
 Smaller is cheaper , You will pay by the foot.   A big bear will take up an entire wall. You could get the hide tanned and have a really cool hat made by someone upnort inperham.  :whistling: also make a pair of choppers or boots and just have the shull done in a european mount. Claws could be made into a necklace. Don't need to make a rug.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've had 2 rugs made. one went toheck on me. bad tanning acid and humidity made the rug kinda rot.

anywhoo, with a rug the quality of the hide makes the rug and obviously the later in the season the better the hide. a younger bear will also have a better hide for a rug. i have a smaller bear that i had a shoulder mount made. ive also had pillows made from the hides of 2 bear, get the hide tanned then take it to someone who does reapholstery work. a bit spendy for pillows...........but who else gotz bear pillows. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :woot:

one suggestion i'd like to leave with you. most bear rugs get mounted with the mouth wide open, like the vicious look, thats not normal for a black bear and my first rug was that way. my current rug has the mouth open just a little. way more natural and to me looks a hole lot better!!!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
with the bear I've been evolved with the best way I've seen is to just bring it in to a shop and have the skin and process it. the last one I did was 7years ago and it was like 125 for the processing. butchering/skinning... don't forget to ask for the skull back also. you don't need this for a mount but they make a cool european.
dakids is right.. you can just tan the hide and make a rug later if you don't have the dollars now. that's what I'll do with my next one if I ever get drawn again (wisconsin)...

one of the best looking black bear mounts i've seen is one with the mouth "snarling".. very cool looking mount..
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
Beeker it takes 7-10 years to get pulled in wi

My grampa transferred me his tag 2 years ago only reason Iv shot a bear

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, if you have a pic I'd like to see that rug with th mouth just a little open. I like realistic mounts best too. I have a great taxidermist that does my deer (not the typical dead deer in headlights look). All I've seen so far with bear is the mouth wide open look.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'll get a picture up soon. probably next week some day!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, if you have a pic I'd like to see that rug with th mouth just a little open. I like realistic mounts best too. I have a great taxidermist that does my deer (not the typical dead deer in headlights look). All I've seen so far with bear is the mouth wide open look.
hey i didnt forget about ya...........been a busy weekend and i came down with a nasty cold!!!!! :censored: :censored: i will try my best to get those pics posted this week!!!!!!

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've had two rugs done.  One with closed mouth, and one with partially open.  The one with a partial open went rotten on me as well.  Took it to a loser taxidermist who home tanned it.  Always, always get referals from others who have had them do work...It was a beautiful rug that I had to dump for $165 at auction because of the smell.  Cost me over $600 to have the rug done, not to mention the $1,000 the hunt cost me.

All 4 of the half body mounts I've had done were closed mouth to save the $125 they charge for the open mouths...but if money was no object I'd do the partial open on them as well.  Looks very natural and adds a little something to the mount without the unrealistic gaping teeth look.  Bears often walk and smell with their mouths partially open, wether panting or drawing in more air to catch scent.

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
after almost a week with no activity i got some pics on the trail cam. i was actually able to make it out for the first sit tonight but it was only 1.5 hrs and may have cut it too close. here are some pics from yesterday.