Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: In the market for new trolling motor  (Read 3718 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This spring I plan to replace my trolling motor.  I have a 24 volt Minn Kota Co Pilot and auto pilot now but it's a bit patched together.  The foot control does not turn left and after a bit of work, I simply added a separate momentary switch to a block of wood to use for left turns. New one for the older model is ridiculous cost.  The Co-Pilot stopped working a few years ago but I can get along without it.  I'm not a fan of the motor mount and deploy and stow is very difficult at times.
New one needs to have 24 volt system, Spot Lock, I Pilot GPS, Remote control, maybe a brushless motor and a better (lift assist) deploy/stow system.  Maybe something like this one.
Minn Kota Ultrex Freshwater Bow-Mount Motor with Universal Sonar 2 and i-Pilot GPS (24-Volt, 80-Pound)
Any thoughts, good, bad indifferent.  Anyone have experience with this model. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have the Terrova (sp)
I have had zero problems with it.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline hawg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It might not be a bad thing to wait a little and see how the new Garmin and Lowrance motors work out. I 'm thinking the Lowrance was #1 at ICast this year.
I've been your age, you never been mine!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
hawg,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I started comparing what was out there, what I needed and most of all what I wanted.  I really liked the Lowrance Ghost.  It has everything a guy could want plus more.  Love the fly by wire control, piston aided deploy and stow, super rigid mount, no issue with cable wrap as the top does not move, brushless motor, interchangeable transducers, Break away shaft, three year warrantee, and power next to none.  The only issue was the price however, with triple points and a couple hundred in rebates, it wasn't all that much more than the Minn Kota Ultrex.  Today I stopped at Cabela's and bought the Lowrance Ghost.  Although Cabela's offered free installation, being the pick butt I am, I will install it when it warms up in a month or two.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Please let us know how it works out.    I saw the announcement and it looked good, but sometimes reality isn't up to the hype

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
                                            "ARTICLES"

Next Generation Electric Motors

Check dis out.... :scratch:

https://www.lake-link.com/articles/1201/next-generation-electric-motors/?CFID=648850053&CFTOKEN=d29d600144fd52f6-9A0CC64E-9994-CEB6-3D4C42F598E42A35
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the link..  I, besides being cheap, will wait another year to let them get some real world experience and find out how they work out.   

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
I had the chance to check out the new motors when I was at the Sport show in Nashville in Jan.   I did like that Lowrance however,  it is my understanding they are set up to run off the Lowrance locators and Garmin mapping software.  Nothing against either one of them except my boat is rigged with HumminBirds so I could use the Lake Master.   

I have the Min Kota Ulterra but I will say I have had issues with it.  In fact, it is currently in the shop being repaired under warranty because the motor would only work when it wanted to.  Some kind of electrical short in it someplace.  When it works right it is awesome.   The spot lock and self deploy/stow feature is really nice, especially in the wind !!!