Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bemidji Area  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Some of the lakes in the Bemidji area are finally seeing some solid ice and a couple have decent driving conditions.   I finally made it out on Bemidji for a bit and we did find a couple of DEEP slush pockets but for the most part, moving around was pretty good.   

Fishing was great for us, catching was marginal.  We drilled holes in some of our normal spots and did not find the "zoomer" perch we were looking for.  It seemed we would pick up a decent one and have to drill a few more holes to find another one.   We were not able to find a pattern in these fish at all.    While out we fished from 12' of water to 40 ' of water.  We used jigs, spoons, minnows and wax-worms. 

One of the local guides, North Country Guide Service, has been chasing some of the elusive Eel Pout and it sounds like they are doing pretty well.  I have not been out to chase them so if a person was looking to find some Pouts that is who I would be calling.  Something different, good eating and fun to catch.  

Some guys were out on a couple of the "back in the woods" panfish lakes and did pretty well IF they could stay out of the slush with their sleds.   A couple of them even got them stuck.   I believe I will wait to chase them for a bit yet.  

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Nice Report but, I have to ask.  Someone pays a Guide service to fish Pout?   :scratch: :scratch:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
For someone who has wanted to catch one or likes catching the pouters it's all set up for them. This year all the guides have put their time in just getting a house out.    I have personally not fished pout with them and they are one of the few who target this fish.   Pout are fun to catch but not my thing.    Just something different I guess.    :fish2:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to catch lots of them on Ottertail.  Not so much anymore.  I ate a lot of them. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Not too many moons ago you could drive around on Mill lacs and practically fill up the back of a truck with the ones people threw out on the ice. Not so much anymore.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Not up north here either.  Seems either there are fewer, people are keeping them or throwing them back.   There are enough eagles around right now that clean them up pretty quick too.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I've got a buddy headed up to Bemidji Friday; he's never been there. I have quite a few times, but that was 20 years ago. Things to must see up there, and any great restaurants?  Things to do? Any ideas....thanks!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Right down there by Babe and the Blue Ox is where the kind of downtown is.  There are some interesting places to eat and great burgers in the main bar there.  Can't think of the name of it. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mi Rancho has good Mexican cuisine. Slim's has decent burgers as does The Corner Bar in Nymore. There's a Chinese buffet down towards Hwy 2 also but Barry would have to help me out on the name of that one. Can always do Itasca St. Park & the Mississippi headwaters if he hasn't already.
« Last Edit: August 08/10/21, 10:52:06 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry, I only know where the trap range is in Bemidji. I also heard the Mississippi headwaters is down to just a trickle of water going over the rocks. That itself may be something to see.
mm

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
The chinese buffet is called Super Buffett. Good food  :happy1:. If he likes pizza, there is a place called Daves pizza. That gets  :happy1: :happy1:. Really good pizza. Otherwise I can't say that we do much touristy stuff there. Usually menards run or home depot when we go there.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL,mark,a guy needs to know where our gun ranges are...,hey did you make it to the mini grand in monticello?Curious...

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup the head waters would be interesting to see now...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
  Yes Super Buffet is pretty darn good.  Dave's Pizza is great!  Keith's Pizza is good too. 
« Last Edit: August 08/11/21, 07:50:56 AM by LPS »

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
yup the head waters would be interesting to see now...

Here's a link to a live web cam of the headwaters and its crazy how low the water is and the amount of weeds surrounding it this year.

https://paulbunyan.net/cooperative/newsweather/itasca-state-park-mississippi-headwaters-webcam/

My hunting property is about 10 miles from here, so I check the webcam whenever I want to see what the weather is doing at my place :smiley:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks, guys! Appreciate it! Passing it along to him.  :cheesy:

PS...thanks for the cam link, Savage. Always wanted to go there.
« Last Edit: August 08/11/21, 09:17:41 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup thanks for the link!!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's a super link! Pretty quick one could walk across the old logging road on the north end of Cox Lake the rate it's going.  :huh:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Savage; what direction from the park are you? Just curious, I’m down by Emmaville.

Snow, I did not make to Monticello last weekend.
mm

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Savage; what direction from the park are you? Just curious, I’m down by Emmaville.

Snow, I did not make to Monticello last weekend.

I'm directly south of the park, just a few miles east of Two Inlets.  Headed over tomorrow to check on the food plots I planted a month ago and pull the trail cam cards.  Looks like a gorgeous weekend for weather.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
He's lovin' it up there.  :happy1:  First place they went was Itasca and the headwaters of the 'sippi. Been sendin' pics.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:tongue:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Forgot the name of that place.  We ate there once.  I had corned beef eggs benedict.  Was great!