Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: corona pandemic~  (Read 503396 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nerds liking ruebarb?  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Saw some interviews with a large group of Spring-breakers in Florida on TWC this am. They're still massing together, said it's not fair closing the bars and restaurants and implementing all these rules. One girl said "this is what we're supposed to on Spring Break; hit all the bars". One guy and chick said the government is "screwed up and just wants to stop Spring break", and that "this virus thing is blown way out of proportion". Incredible. Sounded like a bunch of whiney six year olds.
With this kinda crap, no quarantine is ever going work. The millennial "me me me" instant gratification thing rears it's ugly head.
« Last Edit: March 03/18/20, 09:42:13 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Heard 1 nice story out of Des Moines where a guy left a $950 tip at a small restuarant before they had to close. It was enough for ~ $300 per employee & he asked the owner to partial it out so  they didn't get it all at once so it would last them longer. :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

For the Love of GOD! 
Can we PLEASE stop with the Running total and only report Active cases or deaths!  No one has recovered yet in MN since Feb 29th?   :mad1:

Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If it doesn't fit your narrative,  never let the truth get in the way of a good story.  :bonk:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just wanna see funny cartoons!  :doofus:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Was going to quit the job in March.  Well I'm Glad I didn't quit yet.  Will stick around for a couple of more months since I only work 8 days a month.  The good thing is when I'm there I get to pick out and get meat that I want.  Even got a big pack of toilet paper this morning as I walked into work before 5am.  Even then they only had 5 packs on the shelf.  I only took one but they are going to put limits on them which they should.  So this is what is happening as far as I know.  Today for the first time Cubs put eggs on a  one carton per customer limit.  we found out that Costco and Sams were out of eggs.  Ground beef is the tough item to find along with chicken items.  I ground over 400 pounds of ground beef today from trimings from the beef we cut.  It was gone within an hour.  The tube stuff and any other pre- packaged ground beef is hard to get.

Best time to get ground beef is early if they do get tubed or pre-packaged ground beef.  As far as fresh ground beef that's ground at the store it won't come out till cutting of beef is done.  That time depends on the store and how the butchers time their cutting list.  It doesn't last long.  Basicly most meat items go fast.  Lunch meats, smoked sausages ect along with frozen chicken and other products sell fast.  Just can't catch up.  Today was the first time our meat case looked good, well for a few hours anyway. 

Talked to our dairy manager also.  I already told you about the eggs.  But milk should not be a problem.  They are getting stuff in but there are just so many people who stock it.  Grocery is the same thing.  They are trying their best but there are only so many who stock the stuff.  Produce get's hit also and doesn't get filled until the afternoon.  so try not to get angry at the stores or the workers.  They put out what they get in.  Problem is the hording.  If everyone just bought what they needed there would be less shortages.  Hope this helps some.  good luck.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good read Rh,  unless these people are sharing , the produce only last so long. The Mrs. was looking for ground beef today and didn't find any but I told her next time if they have chuck roasts get them and I'll grind em up.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

"Updated on March 17 at 6:43 p.m. ET:
According to the World Health Organization, the disease is relatively mild in about 80% of cases. "MILD" So it sounds like some have or are on their way to recovery! So, lets offer some hope and not doom and gloom! But, that doesn't make good News!  :bonk: :bonk:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have three here that Mayo says are "recovering well at home". Not youngsters, either. And no one that has it here is critical. That from Mayo. Just a tidbit...

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Bobber chuck roasts are on sale at $4.99 lb at Cubs.  Not the best price because we sell the shop trim at 3.99 lb. but the problem is it sells fast.  You may get a good deal if you ask where you shop what the price is for the whole chuck roll before they cut it in the vac pac it comes in.  They weigh 25 to 35 pound on average.  I do that and cut the chuck eye steaks out, some roasts, and rest for burger.  good luck.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I just wanna see funny cartoons!  :doofus:

Here ya go!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
good one...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Anti-Malaria Pill?

MINNEAPOLIS — More than a week ago, David Boulware had a eureka moment. The professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota thought to himself — what if a common, inexpensive, “old school” anti-malaria pill could help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus?

Virtually overnight, Boulware has assembled a team of 10 U of M medical scientists, statisticians and pharmacologists to test out his theory, which involves feeding a preventative medication that’s been around since 1955 to volunteers for five days. His team will monitor which ones contract the COVID-19 virus and which ones don’t.

“We started yesterday,” said Boulware on Wednesday, March 18. “Our hypothesis is we’re going to reduce the number who get sick by 50 percent, and hopefully more than that.”

The U of M Ethics Board quickly signed off on his national clinical trial, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has sped up its own review. Boulware’s experiment enrolled his first 25 volunteers on Tuesday, about nine days after he organized his team.

This doesn’t happen very often. Experiments testing active drugs on live patients usually take six months to a year just to get up and running.

For Boulware’s team, there’s only one big hurdle remaining: finding up to 1,500 volunteers who have definitely been exposed to the virus. He’s not looking for people with a general concern.

“The inclusion is someone with a known exposure to someone they live with, or a health care worker exposed to a patient,” Boulware said. “Those are the people with the highest risk of transmission. If it works in this highest risk group, it will work in lower risk groups, as well.”

The U of M issued a widespread call Tuesday for volunteers willing to enroll in the trial, which involves feeding half the volunteers the drug and the other half a vitamin placebo. Both groups will be monitored remotely for two weeks to determine who gets a bit ill, who gets really ill and who doesn’t get sick at all.

Boulware, whose major focus is usually HIV-related anti-fungal meningitis trials in Africa, said this test involves hydroxychloroquine, an FDA-approved medicine for the prevention and treatment of malaria. The pills, available since the 1950s, are sold under the brand name Plaquenil(R).

A five-day supply costs about $12.

He said the drug clearly works against what’s known in the lab as the SAS-Covi2 virus, but in a petri dish. Despite some “hints and rumors” leaking out of China, said Boulware, it has not been officially tested on humans.

“The data suggests it works in the lab — in a petri dish, in a subculture — but the hints and rumors that it may be effective for treatment, that hasn’t been confirmed,” he said.

Could a cure for coronavirus around the corner? Boulware cautions that preventing infection in a healthy person who lives with or has been in contact with an infected patient may be a far cry from treating someone who already has advanced symptoms.

“Treating people with severe disease may be different than prevention,” Boulware said. “It’s much easier to treat someone early on. After they get sick, and they have severe symptoms, it’s harder, especially for viral infections, to alter that course.”

Nevertheless, said Boulware, “I think I’m optimistic. I wouldn’t be doing this if I wasn’t optimistic.”

If you think you may be eligible to participate in the clinical trial, email covid19@umn.edu for further instructions.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Good read Rh,  unless these people are sharing , the produce only last so long. The Mrs. was looking for ground beef today and didn't find any but I told her next time if they have chuck roasts get them and I'll grind em up.

Got ground beef at costco yesterday.   They were shoveling it out of there.  About every cart had a pack.   Seem to be recovering from the weekend as time goes by.    I've been getting prescriptions refilled now that we are back.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
"Boulware, whose major focus is usually HIV-related anti-fungal meningitis trials in Africa, said this test involves hydroxychloroquine, an FDA-approved medicine for the prevention and treatment of malaria."

How come I suddenly feel like Lee when I make them great big letters? :laugh: Guess what it's derived from? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Here I've been self medicating all along and didn't realize it. I read somewhere you'd have to drink >570 G&T's using commercialy available tonic water to get the proper dosage but hey, I'm game! I'd even use my higher % quinine syrup as part of a study so oughtta be a piece of cake!  :rotflmao: 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder what happens to all the meat and produce in the coolers at restaurants....the meat is fresh and so is the produce... hope they find good use for it. :confused:
« Last Edit: March 03/18/20, 06:54:50 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
"Boulware, whose major focus is usually HIV-related anti-fungal meningitis trials in Africa, said this test involves hydroxychloroquine, an FDA-approved medicine for the prevention and treatment of malaria."

How come I suddenly feel like Lee when I make them great big letters? :laugh: Guess what it's derived from? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Here I've been self medicating all along and didn't realize it. I read somewhere you'd have to drink >570 G&T's using commercialy available tonic water to get the proper dosage but hey, I'm game! I'd even use my higher % quinine syrup as part of a study so oughtta be a piece of cake!  :rotflmao:

I E-mailed him yer name, said you were an excellent test subject.  :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I wonder what happens to all the meat and produce in the coolers at restaurants....the meat is fresh and so is the produce... hope they find good use for it. :confused:

I felt bad today that I forgot to eat lunch with everything else going on. A buddy of mine got takeout from the restaurant we frequent and they only had two orders at lunchtime. :sad: :embarrassed: Need to change that tomorrow.  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So you bringing them some of that "select" freezer stalk you speak so highly of. :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No, that all went yer direction... :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered about our quinine treatments Dotch.  Self prescribed too.  And we aren't looking for any government subsidies.  Well are we??   If it beats malaria it should beat this. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Subsidies? None needed here, just taking one for the team! :drinking:

The worst thing right now is I need a haircut. My haircutter's closed due to state mandate & my sheep shearer hurt his back. Plus I'm gonna look like Billy Gibbons or Dusty Hill if'n I don't shave purty quick.  :rocker;
« Last Edit: March 03/18/20, 10:20:05 PM by Dotch »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Subsidies? None needed here, just taking one for the team! :drinking:

The worst thing right now is I need a haircut. My haircutter's closed due to state mandate & my sheep shearer hurt his back. Plus I'm gonna look like Billy Gibbons or Dusty Hill if'n I don't shave purty quick.  :rocker;
I'll come down a fix ya up!!!👍 :evil: :sleazy: :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
here's a good read;

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/no-hoard-plenty-food-system-150239108.html

sure would be nice if more folks understood this!!!!
« Last Edit: March 03/19/20, 07:25:28 AM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Sent my buddy that article about the guy at the U...   He wrote back that he was already taking that drug for Rheumatoid Arthritis....