Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: corona pandemic~  (Read 503843 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Delmar, find a me some fake eggs somewhere! I'm tired of looking! I gotta make omelets!

PS......eggs prices are going *BOING* way up......

Didn't Walz put in an executive order against price gouging?  Just sayin...
 :confused:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, the ones that DON'T say "egg whites", still lots of those around....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crystal-Farms-Cholesterol-Free-Fat-Free-Better-n-Eggs-16-Oz/106152129

Yeah those are egg whites with added ingredients.  I'll check at costco.

Ingredients: EGG WHITES (98%), WATER, NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM, COLOR (INCLUDES BETA-CAROTENE). VITAMINS AND MINERALS: CALCIUM SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, IRON (FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE), VITAMIN E (ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL ACETATE), VITAMIN D3, ZINC SULFATE, CALCIUM PANTHOTHENATE, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN B1 (THIAMINE MONONITRATE), VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN), FOLIC ACID.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Perfect! Sounds great!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  I'm just kidding ya Rebs.  I may get some too.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They gotta be the whole eggs thing now, Delmert!!!    :tut:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Whatever.   

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Delmar, find a me some fake eggs somewhere! I'm tired of looking! I gotta make omelets!

Price is going up from the supplier. Supply and demand.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Went to ALDI this am for some more fake eggs (egg substitute) None. Same at two other places, Guess that's another hot commodity. However, place was overflowing with choice meats...pig chops, pig roasts, pig steaks, stew meat, beef roast, (chuck, round, and tip) steaks, hamburger, chicky thighs, legs, drumsticks, whole chicky's....came home with a couple pigger roasts and some pks of good ol' bone in chops. Tons of bread, rolls, etc. Got a pkg of brioche rolls. Deli was packed...got some cranberry -almond chicky salad for sandwiches, a bag of apple, 'nanners, lettuce., clamshell of cherry 'maters.....only thing they were out of is TP, for the first time. But they have limits of 1 per person.   Shelves full of canned veggies.  Got some canned corn which everyone has been out of, and a couple cans of tuna. Did have lots of paper towels, though. I sure like that store.  :smiley:

hey reb ,nice thing about canned corn once ya eat it when it comes out you can rinse and reuse....just sayin

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Whatever.

Now ya sound like yer union buddy! Next time ya poke me about MY boxed rice, guess what I'm gonna say?  Whatever.... :coffee:

And to think I thought about ya yday when I saw Jasmine rice in a jar at ALDI.....
« Last Edit: March 03/25/20, 07:19:46 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
This really sucks.... :undecided:

American Cancer Society closing all 34 of its Hope Lodge locations, including Rochester's

The American Cancer Society is closing the Rochester Hope Lodge amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Residents at the Sandra J. Schulze American Cancer Society Hope Lodge, 411 2nd St. NW, were told late last week to seek new accommodations.

The Hope Lodge offers free housing for cancer patients while they receive treatment at Mayo Clinic.

The American Cancer Society confirmed the closure Tuesday, adding that all 34 of its active locations across the U.S. will be closed.

Officials at the Atlanta-based organization said they had been monitoring the spread of the illness and did not take the decision lightly.

“We’re facing difficult times and difficult decisions,” said Dr. Len Lichtenfeld, deputy chief medical officer at the American Cancer Society. “This is one of many of those decisions we all will have to make.”

As the virus began to circulate via community transmission and with orders to shelter in place issued in multiple states and cities, the nonprofit could no longer guarantee the virus wouldn't spread into one of the lodges, Lichtenfeld said.

Most of the cancer patients staying there have compromised immune systems and are especially susceptible to the virus, he said.

“If the COVID-19 virus came into a Hope Lodge, it would cause immense impact to patients and caregivers immediately,” Lichtenfeld said. “Our guests are a very high-risk group.”

Staff at the Hope Lodges don’t qualify as essential employees where shelter-in-place orders have been issued, he added, making staffing the Hope Lodges difficult in areas where that order is in place, he said.

Sam Stearns and his wife, Geneil, traveled 600 miles from Pope County, Ill., for cancer treatment. They said the opportunity to stay at the lodge has been a relief financially and mentally.

“If we were having to spend our meager savings on lodging, there would be a meter running continuously in the back of my head,” Sam Stearns said.

The couple said they received a good deal at the Centerstone and are relieved lodging won’t be a concern while Sam finishes 21 remaining rounds of treatment over the next few weeks.

He said worrying about finances wouldn't have been conducive to healing. After his remaining treatments, he plans to return to Illinois to continue his retirement career of environmental activism.

The couple packed their car Tuesday afternoon while the remaining guests also departed.

Word came to residents Thursday that they would need to find another place to stay by Tuesday night. About 55 patients were staying at the Hope Lodge when the decision was made, Lichtenfeld said. The Rochester Hope Lodge is one of the busier and consistently occupied of the Hope Lodges operated by the American Cancer Society because of its proximity to Mayo Clinic and the draw it has, he added.

Lichtenfeld said he and other American Cancer Society leaders were watching as the COVID-19 virus began to spread. He said the Hope Lodge staff implemented measures to protect residents, including restricting visitors, limiting vendor visits, and eventually banning guests and asking that they stay in their rooms.

Those measures reassured Don Klontz, of Fargo, who is receiving cancer treatment at Mayo Clinic and was staying at the Hope Lodge. He moved across the street to the Brentwood Inn, where he has stayed before and plans to stay for his remaining nine rounds of treatments for a rare cancer.

“I felt safe there,” he said. “They did a good job.”

Klontz said he feels for the staff who will be laid off due to the closures.

He said staying at public hotels could increase some cancer patients’ exposure to the COVID-19 virus. However, on Tuesday, he noted few visitors at the Brentwood Inn.

“You’ll be glad to have me back,” he said to a clerk there.

Meanwhile, Lichtenfeld said many hospitals and clinics are postponing some procedures and treatments.

“That takes some of the burden off these lodges,” he said, adding that it also means there are other accommodation options for Hope Lodge guests.

Lichtenfeld said he understands the closures will be a burden for some patients and caregivers and not everyone will easily find other accommodations.

“We have other programs and partnerships with hotels,” he said. “But I don’t know if we’ll be able to meet every need … but we hope to meet everyone’s needs.”

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

The chickens raised the prices??! Why, those foul fowl !     :tut:
« Last Edit: March 03/25/20, 07:46:47 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Same thing happened when we had the bird flu thing five or so years ago...eggs skyrocketed.
« Last Edit: March 03/25/20, 07:41:56 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That surprises me that they would close the Hope Lodge at a time like this.  Too bad.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Neither my wife or I have been to a store in over two weeks now so I know we are not contribution to the empty shelves.  Our plan is to live as long as we can with what's in the fridge, freezer and pantry.  Ok, I did go to a lake and get some fish the other day so does that count?
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not unless you share those crappies.  :rotflmao: :fish2:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The lack of intelligence of those spring breakers amazes me too!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
CAWchester news that reported yday the city council was implementing a SIP policy and a total parking ban, made a CORRECTION last nite that it people MAY HAVE misunderstood them...they are SUPPORTING a SIP policy if it comes to that, and the "parking ban" is that no parking fines will be given for the next 30 days downtown.
(In other words, let's not admit our hurried screwed-up reporting) HOWEVER, if food businesses want to have people park at meters for take-out, they will now need to apply for and get a special online permit...WTH?!??!  And this town is supposed to be helping people during this time??! Making food businesses get a special permit??!!  :angry:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
And I suppose all the people that ordinarily would be at work issuing city permits are sheltering at home.
 :crazy:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I just heard that the FDA has approved transfusions from people who have recovered from the virus so they can now give it to those that are getting sick now. That has to help. :happy1: :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw "Prince Charles, age 71..." in a headline news feed and my first thought was to wonder if he died.

Then I found a story that said, "Prince Charles has tested positive for the Corona-19 virus."

Enough with the famous people testing positive stories. :mad1:

Many (or I starting to worry that most) people are going to get this virus.  We just hope it isn't everyone all at once so that the most serious cases can be dealt with in hospital.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
A new test has been approved as well, 1 where they can have results in hours instead of days.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
CAWchester news that reported yday the city council was implementing a SIP policy and a total parking ban, made a CORRECTION last nite that it people MAY HAVE misunderstood them...they are SUPPORTING a SIP policy if it comes to that, and the "parking ban" is that no parking fines will be given for the next 30 days downtown.
(In other words, let's not admit our hurried screwed-up reporting) HOWEVER, if food businesses want to have people park at meters for take-out, they will now need to apply for and get a special online permit...WTH?!??!  And this town is supposed to be helping people during this time??! Making food businesses get a special permit??!!  :angry:

I presumed that  the special permit would provide a "no parking, pickup only" area in contrast to the "park anywhere".   That could be wrong, of course.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Article in online news today about how the shi**y council is debating it and what to do about fees....

https://www.postbulletin.com/news/local/what-s-the-right-move-for-downtown-parking/article_9e0a9a5a-6e1c-11ea-a17a-13595a65b3c0.html

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, that oughtta be fun............ :rolleyes:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hang on to your britches.  :crazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinkin'...... :scratch:  Everyone is focused on TP, bathroom wipes, toilet bowl cleaner (None of that around either) Lysol spray......no one can figger that one out, but shouldn't someone be getting the message out to transfer that to yer KITCHEN area?!
Food prep areas, hands touch food, face, utensils, countertops, 'fridge handles and inside drawers, etc. IMO, that would be the #1 place where it spreads. I wiped off everything I brought home from the store yday, and sprayed the counters down with a mixture of bleach and water I always have in the kitchen, and have for years. Guy at ALDI told me yday, there's also no returns on anything. Found out it's the same now with most stores, so ya better make sure ya got what ya want.