Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: corona pandemic~  (Read 503816 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Crap. Hope he pulls thru it.  :sad:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
So, buy stock in Ventec, or get a free ventilator with yer new Chebby?  :scratch:

https://www.kaaltv.com/national-news/trump-uses-wartime-act-but-gm-says-its-already-moving-fast-/5687360/?cat=10151

Has anyone figured out what GM did to piss off Trump?

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
So, buy stock in Ventec, or get a free ventilator with yer new Chebby?  :scratch:

https://www.kaaltv.com/national-news/trump-uses-wartime-act-but-gm-says-its-already-moving-fast-/5687360/?cat=10151

Kept trying to get more money for fewer ventilators... with later deliveries.   Typical carp. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good thing Fiat isn't makin' 'em.   :bonk:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Kept trying to get more money for fewer ventilators... with later deliveries.   Typical carp.
Source please

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty sure that is old news delmonte, the latest I read is that they are making them and Trump is praising their efforts. How many are IBM turning out?

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty sure that is old  news delmonte, the latest I read is that they are making them and Trump is praising their efforts. How many are IBM turning out?
It was why defense production act was invoked. Yeah article was 3 days old. 
I have no idea if IBM is doing anything.  Not much manufacturing left there.  They were using a and supercomputers to screen drug candidates, if that counts.

Are you a GM guy or something?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The other day as the wife and I were on a drive along the river both of our cell phones started making a loud air raid siren noise.  Then a message came on saying all Ontario citizens returning to Ontario must go through a 14 day quarantine upon returning to the country. I was just turning around as this happened and wondered what alarm is my truck making?  Hit the brakes thinking I was going to run into something.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty sure that is old  news delmonte, the latest I read is that they are making them and Trump is praising their efforts. How many are IBM turning out?
I have no idea if IBM is doing anything.  Not much manufacturing left there.  They were using a and supercomputers to screen drug candidates, if that counts.

Auto manufacturers can't just flip a switch and the lines start turning out ventilators. I think Ford is projecting it will be 100 days. Trump got puzzled at GM because they told him the truth in terms of time and cost.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope you don't have any recyclables, yard waste from raking, or need to drop off yer garbage, Delwin. CAWchester closed down the Recycle Center, the grass dump, the garbage drop off, (For folks that don't have a garbage man, like in the country) and the compost pile site. Guess they expect the folks with garbage to let it pile up sky high like in NY during the 70's. Smart move, CAWchester. Like that's a huge social gathering site... :rolleyes:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :fudd:

Gun sales soar amid coronavirus outbreak

Spikes in gun sales typically follow mass shootings or the elections of presidents who are Democrats, as gun owners fear government restrictions on future firearms sales.

But first-time gun buyers are fueling a recent surge in Minnesota gun sales. And the coronavirus pandemic is the main reason for their purchases, said John Munson, a gun store owner.

“A lot of new buyers that don’t own firearms are saying, ‘hey, I’ve got to stay at home. I’ve got to plan for two weeks,’” said Munson, owner of Bill’s Gun Shop, which has three stores, including one in Hudson, Wis. “They’re looking at the worst-case scenario, saying, ‘maybe now is the time that I would want to pick up a firearm to defend myself or my family at home.”

Munson said his stores saw “extreme numbers of people coming through the doors” during a recent weekend — 1,300 to 1,400 people per day. He said that’s probably three times the sales he’d normally see at this time of year.

“We’re seeing a lot more home defense shopping now,” said Munson. “A lot of shotguns and small-caliber rifles.”

The higher demand for guns comes at the same time Munson is short-staffed. About a dozen of his 85 employees can’t work because of their vulnerability to the virus or out of concern for their health. And the store employees who remain on the job are also making sure to enforce social distancing protocols in the stores and on the gun ranges.

Munson said he always encourages gun buyers to take in-store safety courses. However, those classes won’t be available for a while.

“We’re putting all classes on hold until May 1,” said Munson. “Simply because we don’t have the resources to operate the shop in its full hours, in its full capacity.”

The National Rifle Association has announced that first-time gun owners who need training during this time can access its YouTube channel promoting “mentor videos” with gun safety basics, maintenance and storage tips.

To buy a pistol or a semi-automatic assault style rifle in Minnesota from a gun store like Bill's Gun Shop, a person has to have either a permit to carry a handgun or obtain a permit to purchase. County sheriffs issue permits to carry. Permits to purchase are available through local police departments — or in smaller communities, sheriff's offices.

Minneapolis police have seen a 35 percent increase in permits sought during the first three months of this year compared to the same period last year.

St. Paul has seen the number of permit applications rise from an average of four or five per day to more than 30 per day.

In Brooklyn Park, there has been a nearly 200 percent increase in purchase applications so far this month compared to all of March 2019.

Brooklyn Park Police Deputy Chief Mark Bruley said the vast majority of those permit applications are being made by people who have not applied for a permit to buy a gun before.

“I think as people struggle with the fear and anxiety of the pandemic and what that means, I think people are dealing with it in different ways,” said Bruley. “I don’t think I totally understand why we’re out of toilet people and why we’re buying that en masse, but I think people are just trying to deal with it in their own way. And for some reason, some people feel the need to have a gun.”

Bruley said residents shouldn’t be afraid that the police department will not be able to help them in a time of need. Right now, he said calls for service are at normal levels.

Bruley said he supports peoples’ Second Amendment rights to own guns. But he wants to make sure people — especially first-time gun buyers — are prepared to take on the responsibility.

“I don’t want them to minimize how important it is to make sure that gun is secured; that they know how to handle it; and that they keep it away from children or people that should not have access to that gun,” said Bruley, who adds that an improperly stored gun is more likely to be stolen than to be used in self-defense.

There are other risks associated with having guns in homes.

A gun in the home is also associated with higher risks of suicide and domestic homicide.

And according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 60 percent of gun deaths are the result of suicide. In Minnesota, 4 out of 5 gun deaths are suicides.

“Access to guns does increase the relationship with suicide,” said Sue Abderholden, executive director of the National Alliance on Mental Illness Minnesota.

Abderholden said she wants people to be extra careful about bringing a gun into the home right now.

“We have more children at home. Kids are not in school right now,” said Abderholden. “We have increased depression and anxiety among our population. So, you want to make sure gun storage and restricting access to lethal means is also happening at the same pace.”

Abderholden recommends to remove the guns from the home entirely if someone in the home is experiencing depression.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Auto manufacturers can't just flip a switch and the lines start turning out ventilators. I think Ford is projecting it will be 100 days. Trump got puzzled at GM because they told him the truth in terms of time and cost.
Or GM over promised some to get the deal. Hard to tell, even reading the big story in wsj today.

Certainly seems as if the government got the wrong idea somehow as to what the time frame and cost would be. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I see deaths now up to 12 in the state.  629 confirmed cases.  Beltrami just south of us is up to 3 now. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I woke up last night cuz Sammy (the yellow lab) must have farted.  Smelled bad.  The fact that I could smell it was a good thing. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you try to taste anything?    :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I see deaths now up to 12 in the state.  629 confirmed cases.  Beltrami just south of us is up to 3 now.
I just seen a blurb that the U.S.  death total has reached China's numbers!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting that California, despite massive amounts of travel from China in the period before the pandemic, has many fewer cases and deaths than New York....

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-california-herd-immunity/

Wonder what is really going on....

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if it has anything to do with the warmer weather in California?
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is interesting.  If that is the case maybe spring is getting here in the nick of time.  Hope so.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe the Juncos are heralding it in.  :smiley:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Not sure this is true, but it was said once that viruses and those type of bugs, and they are hoping this COVID stuff reacts the same way that with the Warner more moist air these things done travel as well
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I see where they are going to take everyone's temperature when they come to work at place of employment

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope via a forehead scan... :rolleyes:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I don't know much about it yet but I would think they wouldn't want to be very invasive.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman