Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: corona pandemic~  (Read 503309 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Keep mooning them as they fly over.  Maybe you will become famous...    :sleazy:

Ya, The spy who came in from the cold.    :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: April 04/01/20, 10:50:01 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Border Patrol chopper just went over.  Coincidence?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Keep mooning them as they fly over.  Maybe you will become famous...    :sleazy:

Naa, don't care to see a .30 cal nose out thru a side port.... :doah: I'll hold up Glenn's pic with an arrow pointing north instead.   :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Reb, you better get to the store and pick up enough rolls of tin foil to cover your ceilings, also hanging pop cans from the ceiling will block the radio waves.
Good luck.

Hey, now THAT's a good idea, Coop! Reflect right back at 'em! Beat 'em at their own game!  :happy1:
HEY...…..i'm innocent!!!!!! :angel: :angel:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I got a call from our former Business Manager. he taught me everything I know about being a thug!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

anywho, he's long been retired, and heads to florida for the winter months. he told me they came back a month early because florida is insanely nuts. the gov is doing nothing about the social distancing, they had 600 new cases yesterday alone people are out and about like nothings going on. only places closed are beaches and resturants. gov is saying its all right to go to work...…... :doah: :doah:
he even said the place they stay at the older people  arent  taking this stuff seriously.

and frankly...…in minnesota.......i dont see this stay at home or anything related to this ending after the 2 weeks. :doah: i honestly dont know if this is getting so blown out of porpotion or what??????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Naa, don't care to see a .30 cal nose out thru a side port.... :doah: I'll hold up Glenn's pic with an arrow pointing north instead.   :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Reb, you better get to the store and pick up enough rolls of tin foil to cover your ceilings, also hanging pop cans from the ceiling will block the radio waves.
Good luck.

Hey, now THAT's a good idea, Coop! Reflect right back at 'em! Beat 'em at their own game!  :happy1:
HEY...…..i'm innocent!!!!!! :angel: :angel:

I'm sure their cams can zoom in and spot illicit alleged winter onions.... :whistling:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

With no ICU beds and no ventilators, vacation town residents implore tourists to stay home

BAUDETTE, Minn. — An uproar on Lake of the Woods social media last week highlighted what some call a long-standing rift in local resort towns between vacationers and year-round residents.

“There’s a great divide in this area about what is lake and what is town, who is local and who is not,” said Mike Kinsella, who owns Border View Lodge in Baudette. “It’s kind of unfortunate in the way that it’s, without a doubt, the opposite of 'Minnesota Nice.' ”

The rancor comes after the Lake of the Woods and neighboring Koochiching County commissioners voted Tuesday, March 24, to close county-controlled access points to the Rainy River in an effort to slow the influx of visitors to the area amid COVID-19 concerns. The Lake of the Woods board will revisit the decision at its meeting on April 14.

Baudette Mayor Rick Rone said the backlash on Facebook is not representative of the majority of either permanent residents or visiting anglers, and the vast majority of people are understanding of the board's decision in unprecedented times.

Still, Kinsella, who also sits on the Lake of the Woods Tourism Board, fears there will be long-term impacts on tourism to the area.

“These tourists, these people that are ‘going to kill everybody’s grandma,’ I think their responses are, ‘OK, we’ll remember, and we’ll go to places that want us to be there,' ” he said. “So yeah, there’s going to be a long-term effect.”

Gregg Hennum, owner of Sportsman’s Lodge in Baudette, said the tensions started around the same time the fear started.

As news of more positive COVID-19 cases in Minnesota reached the North Shore in the far northeast part of the state, year-round residents took to social media to tell tourists to go home, expressing fear that visitors from other areas would bring the virus with them to the small vacation towns or buy up items already in short supply at local grocery stores.

Lake of the Woods Tourism Bureau Director Joe Henry said tourists had largely stopped coming to the area. He said, over the past few weeks, resorts have had to give tens of thousands of dollars in refunds for canceled reservations. Kinsella said, on one recent weekend, he had more than 100 bookings, five of which showed up.

In some ways, Henry said, it is fortunate the outbreak happened when it did. As businesses across the state scaled back operations and locked down, only the tail end of a robust winter ice fishing season was impacted, around the time when many resorts would be closing their books on the season anyway.

But Hennum said that healthy winter season, which drew huge numbers of visiting ice fishing enthusiasts, could now be contributing to some of the pushback against tourists.

Anglers logged a record 2 million hours of fishing pressure during the winter of 2018-19 on Lake of the Woods, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Numbers from this winter aren't yet available, but the estimate is expected to be every bit as high, if not higher.

"There's been an invisible wall between the town and the resorts for 40 years," Hennum said. "Nothing major. Just slight disagreements. But as soon as the fear factor started to build, that's when people, I noticed, started to get a little more vocal."

Henry said many walleye anglers consider the first two weeks of April to be the greater loss. He said the first half of April offers some of the best walleye fishing of the year, which in the “Walleye Capital of the World” draws anglers from across the Midwest.

He said that he understands the frustrations on both sides, from the fear of the year-round residents to the loss of a treasured tradition for walleye anglers.

"I mean, we had one person call us and say, 'I just want to verify that those accesses are actually closed. I've been coming up there from Rochester for 50 years, and this will be the first year I haven't fished the river,' " Henry said.

On social media, and especially in community Facebook groups, anglers argued that fishing is inherently an act of social distancing. Year-round residents argued, on the other hand, that anglers still congregate at access points, in gas stations and in grocery stores. Kinsella said, at some of the bitterest points preceding the commissioners’ decision to close access points, he saw some threatening to block access to roadways or commit other acts of violence against visitors.

Lake of the Woods County Sheriff Gary Fish couldn't be reached for comment by this publication's press deadline, but a Koochiching County dispatcher said there have been no reports resulting from threats seen on social media.

Hennum said he's not that active on social media, and so hasn't seen the vitriol he's heard about secondhand. Does he believe those threats will spill over into the offline world?

"Of course not," he said.

Rone emphasized the distinction between social media and real life and said that, while it’s easy to air frustrations from behind a computer screen, at the end of the day, Lake of the Woods residents are just scared of what effect the virus could have on their community with limited access to emergency medical care.

According to Rone, the LakeWood Health Center in Baudette has no ICU beds and no ventilators, and, after the departure of two doctors, the hospital is staffed by a single physician.

Henry said that fact has likely been a driving factor behind much of the online vitriol.

"During times like this when there's a lot of anxiety, you get all sorts of different emotions coming out," he said.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Been doing some research.....and found out there has been a surveillance plane down around this area....and look what I found.....that's the plane, in the pic! Almost positive! I've flown in a lot of small planes; my Mom's husband was a pilot, I flew with him, as he flew a lot. Spent a lot of time around them years back. Was going to go for my pilots license, but too many irons in the fire as it was.  About same height as I saw it, too......I'd guess 1000-1200 ft of air, since 1000 ft is minimum over populated areas.  I'm convinced now.

https://www.startribune.com/mystery-surveillance-plane-that-circled-twin-cities-was-part-of-secret-fbi-fleet/305929791/
« Last Edit: April 04/01/20, 12:40:03 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.   :bonk:

Sounds like that has been going on all over.  I wonder if they are investigating a specific threat or if they are just testing their existing technology and capabilities across a range of cities.   :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm gonna go with the COVID/Mayo/ setting place for incoming cases up thing....logistics would be involved determining secure accessible routes that would be blocked off for just that purpose, from my experience. Same as when we did pre-scouting and set-ups for the prez and high-end others. All possible scenarios have to be noted and and dealt with, like overhead mapping of routes....I have an Email into my logistics /HICS buddy right now, I'll let ya know if he gives me any info.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Been doing some research.....and found out there has been a surveillance plane down around this area....and look what I found.....that's the plane, in the pic! Almost positive! I've flown in a lot of small planes; my Mom's husband was a pilot, I flew with him, as he flew a lot. Spent a lot of time around them years back. Was going to go for my pilots license, but too many irons in the fire as it was.  About same height as I saw it, too......I'd guess 1000-1200 ft of air, since 1000 ft is minimum over populated areas.  I'm convinced now.

https://www.startribune.com/mystery-surveillance-plane-that-circled-twin-cities-was-part-of-secret-fbi-fleet/305929791/

:Photography: :Photography:   :rolleyes: :coffee:

By John Reinan and Matt McKinney Star Tribune
June 3, 2015 — 9:38am

Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, I know....but ya think they just up and quit when something arises? That they don't continue when "needed"?   You just keep smoking that turkey and don't fall over in yer chair, we'll holler if yer needed.... and wrap me some of that bird up, this is hard work!
 :rotflmao:
By the way, no news from my HICS buddy. (Which, by the way, stands for Hospitals Incident Command System). The big bird. Said they've kept him holed up in a room for 13 hrs a day....ya, it's a big thing alright. Maybe more so than they're even letting on....that was "hinted to me".... :undecided:
« Last Edit: April 04/01/20, 01:20:55 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb, get outside and get some fresh air.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I shall. Gonna go scatch up the yard for today. The Reb Newscast is now off the air for today. You'll have to rely on FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN.......I'm just trying to keep YOU guys informed of the real deal. Good intentions. And my head hurts for it... :doofus:
« Last Edit: April 04/01/20, 01:25:01 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Just teasing ya Reb.  you’re doing good. I’d rather hear it from the REB network.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, I know....but ya think they just up and quit when something arises? That they don't continue when "needed"?   You just keep smoking that turkey and don't fall over in yer chair, we'll holler if yer needed.... and wrap me some of that bird up, this is hard work!
 :rotflmao:
By the way, no news from my HICS buddy. (Which, by the way, stands for Hospitals Incident Command System). The big bird. Said they've kept him holed up in a room for 13 hrs a day....ya, it's a big thing alright. Maybe more so than they're even letting on....that was "hinted to me".... :undecided:

Just sayen.  Up here in B/Center, mn we have a big black guarded fenced in FBI building. Yesterday someone on the city forum posted there were about 30 black un-marked cars parked around the outside of the building with their flashers on right after Gobber Walz's News update. They swore some kind of big Covid-19 shut down thing was ready to roll!  :embarrassed: :undecided:

Turned out-Retirement send off!  :bonk: :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  It's all how you want to believe something.  :huh:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup. Just remember I was in a different line of work than you were too. Just might be getting some different clues. My take is they're gettin set for a big influx of COVID pts just in case. Takes lots of logistics/prep work to set all that stuff up. I can't tell ya more.  So, as everyone says, "just sayin". Whatever works for ya.
« Last Edit: April 04/01/20, 04:38:13 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder :scratch: if it might not have something to do with the Mayo Dr. who was arrested @ the Mpls/St Paul airport recently for helping some terrorists. :confused: Maybe their still worried about having a sleeper cell there. :crazy:

To be technical, he wasn't at mayo when he was arrested.   He had been fired/he had quit.... But, yeah.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And the kiddies continue to gather.........I think it's hopeless. I really do. Slow it down, maybe; stop the spread?  No.

https://www.kaaltv.com/rochester-minnesota-news/rochester-parks-city-urges-residents-to-stop-gathering-in-groups/5689491/?cat=10151

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It's hopeless. &$$#&% H.  Christ! The NL's parents just came down from Wisconsin with their suitcase, looks like a spread-the-disease week. Now her Buddy from Texas just pulled up with her stuff....!!!!! The kiddie's next door had their buddies pull in with 12 paks of beer, now they've  got a huge fire going in the backyard. (also illegal)..and I'm staying home???!?!  Why??!!  it's friggin' hopeless! There's no stopping the spread.  :angry2:  :banghead:
« Last Edit: April 04/01/20, 07:03:47 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
It's hopeless. &$$#&% H.  Christ! The NL's parents just came down from Wisconsin with their suitcase, looks alike a -the-disease week. Now her Buddy from Texas just pulled up with her stuff....!!!!!and the kiddie's next door had their buddies pull in with 12 paks of beer...and I'm staying home???!?!  it's friggin' hopeless! There's no stopping the spread.  :angry2:  :banghead:

Look on the bright side.  maybe they will all die and stop annoying you.. :angry2:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm drinking plenty of anti-coronavirus material fer ya Rebs! Ya won't have malaria or scurvy either. Gotta warn ya tho, yer head might hurt in the a.m.!  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 I'll just send 'em all to Delmouth's house, and they can ANNOY him. It's must be OK to ignore the Governors mandates, right?
I should take my buddies over there too...but he won't even answer his door......why's that? Is he afraid of getting it?!

The governor also addressed concerns that some Minnesotans are not respecting the stay-at-home and social-distancing orders.

"Minnesotans have done a pretty good job," Walz said, "but we need to do better ... This is not about whether you feel good and want to get out and do this activity. This is about the fact that you may be an asymptomatic carrier and could hurt someone else or their family. You need to just assume you have it, and just assume whoever else out you see out there has it."
« Last Edit: April 04/01/20, 07:49:39 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ignore them and you take care of you. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll just send 'em all to Delmouth's house, and they can ANNOY him. It's ok to ignore the Governors mandates, right?
I should take my buddies over there too...but he won't even answer his door......why's that?

I'm social distancing.   Nobody making you go hang out with the Corona Folks.   They'll get  their just desserts... And I don't mean donuts.   Once they are sick and gone no more annoyance.  You just need patience.   Not patients.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here Delman.  Haven't even been to the grocery store for appx 10 days.  Not sure.  We are staying away as long as we can.  AND I like going there so that is a bummer.  We have lots of stuff in the freezer so are having fun just making due with what we have.  I do like to have a pineapple or a cantaloupe cut up in a bowl in the frig so will be out of that soon.  Will resort to canned fruit for awhile.  When I do go I will do some fun shopping!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
It isn't just the youth that can't seem to understand what Stay at Home means. It isn't that much of a sacrifice to forego some things we are use to in life. You could very well be saving someones life by staying home. This is pretty much nationwide now.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You are so right Roony.  Just stay home!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep. Our neighbors are still gathering on the weekends for HH. They come up to the lake for the weekends and just have to get together. We just stay home and keep to ourselves. Crazy thing is we know one of them has COPD and they are are in the 60s and up. Can't tell them farmers what to do though can ya. ;)
Hey look your bobber is up!