Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: corona pandemic~  (Read 503419 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
one of the people we knew from out at the campground was a huge pig farmer. we was down by Marshall, over near Balaton. wonder how this affects him. if I remember right he supplied feeder hogs to farmers???? I think. I stopped at his place once. big operation. he did hogs, his mail order wife had there kitchen set up and could bake thousands of buns etc. she did a lot of it this time of year for graduations.....
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I think at the moment producers are losing between $40 and $50 per hog if they can sell them.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of corn down there so they have the best tasting beef and pork.  In the 70's I would buy a hog from my buddy now and then for around 29 cents a lb live weight.  Rock County.  They just got their first 3 covid cases in the last week or so.  Exactly halfway between Worthington and Sioux Falls.  About 25 miles each way.  That is where my Mom and Dad live in their new Senior Apt place.  They have been quarantined for a few weeks now.  Their food is even delivered to their apt.  Noone can even mingle inside the buildings.  I worry more now with the outbreaks in each direction. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Suited up and went to costco this morning.   Plenty beef.  No pork.   Adequate chicken.   TP, paper towels, tons of water, no tissues.  No raisin bran crunch.   Plenty other cereal.   Flour good, rice good.    No sweet onions, yellow and white good.   
Got a pineapple for $1.99, and a bag of cara cara oranges to go with it..   
Oh, and wife's prescription

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Popped into ALDI for some lunch meat a bit ago. Plenty of pork. Chops. Roasts. Some huge pigger steaks. Plenty of chicken and fair variety of beef.  Grabbed some beef tenderloins. Aisles were full of TP and paper towels. Picked up some Honeycrisp apples and nanners, too. Plenty of stuff everywhere.....odd, no napkins or paper plates...!  Canned goods still not up to par. But all the different breads and rolls...wow!
« Last Edit: April 04/20/20, 01:09:24 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh, sorry! Hard to keep track! 🐷

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no big deal Rebs!!   :rotflmao:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm in a couple of groups up north.  One is the North Shore Tribe and the other is a Finland Group.  Someone there just posted that she heard on the local radio station that the bars and resturants can open up May 4.  I see on  the map that Lake and Cook county's haven't had a case yet.  Hope that continues.  We got to get back to work.  Oil barrel's were in the negative today.  Not even one cent per barrel.  good luck.

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Is this a different plant? Just came online in the news....

https://kttc.com/2020/04/20/jbs-shuts-down-minnesota-pork-plant-hit-by-covid-19-outbreak/

that's the one I mentioned in Worthington...

Mike,
I was listing to the radio and they said (I think) that this plant processes 20,000 hogs a day? Could that be accurate?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know you asked Mike but that is accurate Coop.  Even though I think it said that the plant produces 5% of the pork in the US.  Same with the Smithfield plant in Sioux Falls.  Mike may have more details.

Unreal on the barrel of oil price RH.  That must be a first. 

We in Lake of the Woods still don't have a case neither RH.  Closing these accesses really helped this vulnerable area.  Once fishing season opens there will be people coming up and bringing it here I am afraid.  I am not worried about them cuz they will go home before they are real sick.  If people up here get infected we are going to have to go somewhere else for treatment I think. Then this area will be a hot spot and the people coming up will get affected too and will bring it to where they live. I feel for the resorts too.  Just a tough deal. 
« Last Edit: April 04/20/20, 04:59:42 PM by LPS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's the big prob....if someone spreads it in a small town, in a more remote area, and if it hits you bad, you have to go to some city to take care of you, as there would not be the equipment to take care of you.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Is this a different plant? Just came online in the news....

https://kttc.com/2020/04/20/jbs-shuts-down-minnesota-pork-plant-hit-by-covid-19-outbreak/

that's the one I mentioned in Worthington...

Mike,
I was listing to the radio and they said (I think) that this plant processes 20,000 hogs a day? Could that be accurate?

yup LPS is right on!!!  when I first started there it was around 5000 a shift... now it's 10,000 per shift...  that one heck of a pile of pork chops!!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so that last one makes more since, when the plants wanted to speed up the lines, they had to get more inspectors on the kill lines...  so we had 2 folks at head section, now it's 3.. gut table was 3 now it's 4, etc...  and now ya see how folks could get hurt too if they weren't careful....  and most everyone got hurt some time or another...

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Dad always said he was kind of leary workin next to some of the guys that he knew probably stayed at HH too late the night before. Lots of knife work in close quarters when he worked in the kill & again when he was bonin Cure 81 hams. Which is what he did the longest.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a long-time skilled trimmer slip and plunge his knife right in his gut when I was at the butcher shop.... :doah:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a long-time skilled trimmer slip and plunge his knife right in his gut when I was at the butcher shop.... :doah:

Dang, did you till him life's not that bad to commit Hari kari?  :huh:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Or  :spam: :spam:  :rotflmao:

hey Glenn that was Hormel!!  I was at swift or JBS now!!!  no spam there!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Dang, did you till him life's not that bad to commit Hari kari?  :huh:

I did say sayonara!  :rotflmao:  Too busy taking care of him until the ambulance got there! (He came out OK)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a sad story Rebs.   But yes I have a couple cans of SPAM in the cupboard.   :sleazy:   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
SPAM good. Bfast of champions. *urp*

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup when done right it's good!!! 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Any way is right with SPAM, said Reb-I-am. On bread or fried in the pan, you can even eat it sitting on the can. Or eat it with that fox, while she's wearing just her socks, said Reb-I-am.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Or  :spam: :spam:  :rotflmao:

hey Glenn that was Hormel!!  I was at swift or JBS now!!!  no spam there!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
who keeps track, pig is pig. :doofus: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: April 04/20/20, 09:16:54 PM by glenn57 »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm in a couple of groups up north.  One is the North Shore Tribe and the other is a Finland Group.  Someone there just posted that she heard on the local radio station that the bars and resturants can open up May 4.  I see on  the map that Lake and Cook county's haven't had a case yet.  Hope that continues.  We got to get back to work.  Oil barrel's were in the negative today.  Not even one cent per barrel.  good luck.

The may futures that expire tomorrow went to -36 bucks a barrel.   A real opportunity if you got someplace to put it. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman