Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Nonstop gobbling today  (Read 1550 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I got up early today, 3:00 AM.  Headed out at 3:30 and arrived at the end of the road by 4:30.  Because I didn't want to chance driving in, I loaded everything on my wheeler and trailer and set off in the darkness.  By 5:30 I had everything set and ready.  Decoys out, gun loaded, arrow knocked in the bow, extra clothes on. lol.  I heard the first gobble at 5:45 only a few gobbles and then all was quiet until 6:30.  A tom appeared on the field about 240 yards away, gobbling to beat the band.  I gave him a few scratches on the box call just to let him know I was there.  Over the next 45 minutes he only covered a little over half the distance to my blind gobbling all the time.  I don't think he went over 20 seconds without a gobble.  I was sure he would make his way past me as he approached my decoys at which time I planned to shoot him with my bow.  He had other plans and went in the woods continuing to gobble.  After a short time due to his incessant gobbling, I was able to pick him out in the woods. For the next 20 minutes I played with him but he started to slowly move farther away, still gobbling.  I pretty much gave up on him at that point.  Then I heard a rather loud gobble to the north. (the turkey had left going west).  I'm not 100 sure it was the same turkey but here comes this gobbler right at me. Boom. I didn't have time to plan a bow shot.
24 pounds, 1 inch spurs and 8 inch beard. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow!!! Nice job.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Way to go!!!!   Nice bird.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never hunted Turkeys but that's a big one!!!!  I'ts amazing how these birds have spread in this state.  I see them sometimes north of Duluth.  good luck.