Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: First tick  (Read 4060 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
First deer tick of the year....  :thumbs:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
2nd that  :thumbs:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
we gotta getchya a collar HD.. :happy1:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Got my Lucy a collar already.  They work pretty good .  Funny thing is here where I live we have plenty.  Of all the years I have been camping, fishing , or hunting up north I have never had one on me.  I know they are there but it's kind of wierd and good that I"ve never had one on.  I fished trout streams and hunted in brush but none so far.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Got my Lucy a collar already.  They work pretty good .  Funny thing is here where I live we have plenty.  Of all the years I have been camping, fishing , or hunting up north I have never had one on me.  I know they are there but it's kind of wierd and good that I"ve never had one on.  I fished trout streams and hunted in brush but none so far.  good luck.

Maybe they don't like the smell of kimchee.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:.  or just me in general up there.  Down here they are used to smells.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother who lives by Ottertail had deer ticks on his dogs about 10 days ago.  He hadn't given his dogs Bravecto yet.  We both have given it to our dogs for about 3 years.  The stuff works great!  I haven't seen a tick on either of our dogs since we started using it.  They are outside in our woods a lot too.  Daily of course.  It is a flavored big pill that lasts for 3 months.  After 3 months we give them another dose just to be sure.  Bravecto kills fleas too.  We have never had a flea problem though..   It is about $50 a pill.  We don't even use flea collars anymore.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree. Not for ticks but used Bravecto on Ruby a couple years ago in the fall for fleas. Man did it work! Stupid barn cats were infested so she wound up bringing the fleas into the house. A lot of people had the same problem that fall according to the vets office. After vacuuming and washing everything it was almost gross to see the accumulated dead fleas where she slept. The fleas have to bite to ingest the stuff so they were still moving around while they were on their way out. Ick!  :embarrassed: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Never heard of that pill.  will have to check it out.  I get the tick collar that lasts 8 months and it seems to work great too.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Been on TV a lot lately. I suppose it's prime time for their commercial...

https://youtu.be/IUsz9_QcK5E

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

The ticks are out, and they're expected to be bad this year

DETROIT LAKES, Minn. — People who are spending more time outdoors while the coronavirus pandemic plays out should be aware that the ticks are out now, too.

And remember that those little bugs — though they’re not getting as much attention as the COVID-19 bug — carry serious health risks.

Ticks, especially blacklegged ticks (otherwise known as deer ticks), can spread a number of diseases to people and animals, most commonly Lyme and Anaplasmosis. According to the Minnesota Department of Health, Becker County is a high-risk county for tickborne diseases, so residents need to be especially careful.

“It goes without saying that this is a sensitive and uncertain time not only across our country, but across the globe,” Cindy Mannes, vice president of public affairs at the National Pest Management Association, said in a news release. “With people spending more time in their homes and yards, they may be surprised at how much pest activity they begin to notice. Unfortunately, pest pressure and populations won’t slow down this time of year and it’s important to stay vigilant.”

Tick populations are projected to be above average this year in most parts of the country, including the Midwest and North Central U.S., due to a colder, wetter winter and warmer, wet spring. The National Pest Management Association says those conditions have allowed pest populations to spike early, and will enable them to thrive throughout spring and summer.

While ticks are known to be most active in later spring, summer and fall, they can be out whenever or wherever it’s above freezing and there’s little to no snow cover, which means there’s a chance of tick activity almost all year long in Minnesota, save for the coldest months of winter.
Dr. Savannah Brosius, a veterinarian at Detroit Lakes Animal Hospital, said she’s heard reports that the ticks have already been out for a month or more in some areas around Detroit Lakes.

“They’re out in full force, that’s for sure,” Brosius said.

She recommends treating pets for ticks year-round, instead of just seasonally. Chewable tablets are preferred, or topical preventatives such as Frontline. Flea and tick collars, she said, aren’t as reliable. There’s also a vaccine available to protect pets against Lyme, but Brosius cautions that it does not protect against other tickborne diseases, and thus other preventatives should still be used.

For people, unfortunately, there is no Lyme vaccine, but there are precautions that can be taken. The Minnesota Department of Health offers the following advice to avoid tick bites:
Start by being aware of ticks. Blacklegged ticks, or deer ticks, are found in wooded or brushy areas, while dog ticks, or wood ticks, are found all over. Both are common in Minnesota, and both can spread disease (though deer ticks are the most common culprit).
Use tick repellent on yourself and your pets.
Be diligent. Check for ticks on yourself, your pets and your clothing and gear at least once a day, and bathe or shower after coming indoors. Pay particular attention to hard-to-see areas like behind the knees and ears, or in skin folds.
If you find a tick on yourself or your pet, remove it right away. Use tweezers or your fingers to pull it out slowly and gently, then clean the area with soap and water. Ticks need to be attached for a day or two to spread Lyme; Anaplasmosis may spread quicker.
If you live near the woods, keep your lawn and any trails mowed short. Remove leaves and clear brush around the house and at the edges of the yard. You can also make a landscape barrier, such as a 3-foot wide wood chip border, between your lawn and the woods.
Call your doctor if you get a fever, rash or other symptoms after being in a wooded or brushy area.
For more information, visit health.state.mn.us/diseases/tickborne/prevention.html.
« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 04:02:42 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Reckon sitting in front of a computer all day you'll need to worry.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree. Not for ticks but used Bravecto on Ruby a couple years ago in the fall for fleas. Man did it work! Stupid barn cats were infested so she wound up bringing the fleas into the house. A lot of people had the same problem that fall according to the vets office. After vacuuming and washing everything it was almost gross to see the accumulated dead fleas where she slept. The fleas have to bite to ingest the stuff so they were still moving around while they were on their way out. Ick!  :embarrassed:

Does it hurt much when they bite?

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
You would not know when they bite.  Hopefully you will notice when they are crawling on you.  If you are in the woods a lot check yourself out when you take your shower.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup once you find one on your leg you itch for an hour.  LOL

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Sitting in front of a computer all day?! I'm retired, you're not. Why are you so concerned about what I do lately? Seems to me it's a public site. If ya have a beef, send me an E-mail and knock off the sniping on here. I'm trying to enjoy it.

« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 06:43:02 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Sitting in front of a computer all day?! I'm retired, you're not. Why are you so concerned about what I do lately? Seems to me it's a public site. If ya have a beef, send me an E-mail and knock off the sniping on here. I'm trying to enjoy it.
bite me. Your not telling me what I can and can't do. I can tell all your nonsense babbling.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn's site of entertainment. I figured you'd have to show everyone how much fun you are. Sorry, I'm not stooping to your level. Dealt with those type my entire life. Knock yourself, scooter. Go back to your entertaining. Enjoy yourself and have a good nite.
« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 07:15:07 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Does it hurt much when they bite?

Fleas? On humans or on the dog?  :azn: Fleas leave a little red welt that itches afterwards. Can't say I've ever watched one bite. Not that tough to get rid of once you figure out what's up.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn's site of entertainment. I figured you'd have to show everyone how much fun you are. Sorry, I'm not stooping to your level. Dealt with those type my entire life. Knock yourself, scooter. Go back to your entertaining. Enjoy yourself and have a good nite.

Just saw this.    A slap fight over fleas and ticks?   WTF?   Spray yourself with permethrin and get over it.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I see this thread is back from the dead,only had one issue on my one pup with flea's,brought my pup to game fair one year,he picked'em up they're I figured,sandy soil,dog kennel dog's everywhere ...vet gave me a "dip" they use on cattle for critters,worked great but I didn't read the instruction's(guy thing),poor guy wilst standing in the tub soaking in this dip solution,all the flea's he had made a run for his head to get away from this stuff,didn't put that stuff on his face or head,other than that done deal.

Against using any internal repellant's as these med's are hard on internal organs,same with lyme vacine plus the lyme vacine only works on 5% of the animals it's used on from what the U of M  small animal senior vet told me one day when we were in for a check-up,he told me the topical stuff is worse,...he said using such product that recommends rubber gloves to apply is very toxic,even collars are toxic and if your pup gets the collar off and chews on it it could become deadly,never knew.

But what can we dog owners do?,my pup's breeder has a vet license and raises/ trains bird dogs,she also doesn't endorce any of above meds rather blood tests spring/fall and once/month during tick season she boost's her pups with doxycycline to be safe,well I don't have that luxury using doxy so besides keeping my boy out of the low lands and woods from march thru sept these days I put a small dog frontline on april and sometimes may plus keep my back 40 mowed tight and burn it every spring.works out for me.
« Last Edit: September 09/30/20, 12:43:36 PM by snow1 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I forget the brand of the tick medicine we put on our dog - before we knew better. 

I can't claim for sure if there was a direct cause an effect, but the dog got cancer.  The cancer started near the medicine application spot and migrated down her side where the main tumor grew.

Not too many ticks and fleas were we live, so we'd rather live with the consequences of those than deal with the toxic preventive measures.