Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: FISHING REPORT LAKES OAHE/SHARPE PIERRE AREA FOR THE 20TH TO 26TH APRIL 2020  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
I got lucky and got a call from a real nice family from Texas to take them fishing so on a beautiful spring Sunday, I got to practice social distancing in my boat with Josh Muirheid and his wife and boy. We traveled down to west bend on Sharpe and did not distance ourselves from lots of fish getting full limits of nice smallmouth bass (20) but did poorly on walleye. We caught all the smallmouth with some on minnows but more pulling flicker shad plugs in around 5 fow. Just couldn't find keeper walleye though and felt that staying right around Pierre probably would have been better for the walleye. The plus was we didn't fish around another boat all day so that part was good as that is very hard to do around Pierre right now with lots of boats around. Most boats are coming in with fish on Sharpe but reports for Oahe at least around Pierre aren't as good. Water temps on Sharpe were almost in the 50's but hanging in the 40's on Oahe. The warmer days should get things going so maybe the next report for Oahe will be better. Now to the corona virus stuff and the effects it is having, many cafe's and steakhouses are carry out only and resorts are open but in many cases the cafes are just open for food to your rooms. I have been told by some of the bigger ones probably after the first of May that could change but no one really knows what course all of this is going to take. Things are still up in the air and require caution and concern. Calling a head is the best route to take. I think as far as being outdoors with others that you feel safe with on the lakes is a great way to eliminate some of this cabin fever we are all experiencing. Our Governor is saying the peek in SD is still going to be in June so making plans should include that fact. We have very low numbers of the virus around Pierre so that is a plus. The best advice is to check out SD covid 19 Government site for the most updated information. I will start posting more reports now but this year is sure going to be different with social distancing and safety just having to be the priority. I do wish they would find out eating fresh fish was a cure but unfortunately no word that way yet. I have read and saw reports that sunlight and warmer weather might be good for slowing this enemy down so let’s hope that is factual. The fishing is starting to go but caution is the word. Staying safe and fishing can be done but doing all the face masks social distancing etc. is the smart way. It was just great to be back on the water catching fish.

HUTCH'S GUIDE SERVICE

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch