Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Just what I needed - Another project!  (Read 5788 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Four or five years ago my wife wanted to paint the deck white.  I told her you if you paint over green treated lumber, it will peel and look like sh..t.  I lost my case and we ended up painting it.  Now it looks like sh..t and she wants to replace it.  The plan is to remove the railings, deck boards, stairs extend it 4 feet farther out from the house and make new stairs with a landing part way down.  Being the current deck is only supported by four 4x4's I will also remove them and install five 6x6's as well as several 4x4's for the stair landing. On the bright side, I will have lots of good treated boards for projects at my land.  New deck will be maintenance free, composite material.

Previous owner built this contraption  to accommodate the crappy short stair case. (short risers and treads)

It took forever to paint all the spindles.

As predicted, not much paint left on the decking.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and did she ever say you were right??  big project and sounds like it will be a real nice deck when you are done!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Looks like no land time or fishing for you in a while!!! :rotflmao:

I have the maintenance free deck, just a word of caution, that floor gets hot on bare feet when the sun hits it. Mine is a blue color.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Smurf blue?  :confused:                                                                                           ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/14/20, 09:00:36 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Smurf blue?  :confused:                                                                                           ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:happy1: :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
figures. maitenence free .  more couchtime...
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
figures. maitenence free .  more couchtime...
:rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:darn tootin!!! :happy1:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
On the bright side, I will have lots of good treated boards for projects at my land.

Win-Win!!!  :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So far I've just been disassembling the old deck.  I got all the deck boards loose, removed the railing, all the confounded lattice, and the multi layer decks at the foot of the stairs.  Good news is I can use most of the framing on the lower decks for the extension of the upper deck.  Just need to shore up the out side stringers and then I will be ready to start putting the new one together.  Being the material won't be delivered until next Wednesday, I think I will go fishing tomorrow.  My wife still hasn't decided on railing design and materials. We are leaning towards cable on the far railings to give us a better view of the backyard gardens. 

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
de, go with the cable. My BIL did his deck with cable and it looks great. He did say it was a little extra work, but worth it. Besides, vertical 2x2s look like crap IMO. Have a great weekend everyone.  :happy1:
mm

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Deck upgrade is going well.  Hot weather isn't helping much but I am making progress. The deck area
will increased by 65%.

It was a job to get all the deck screws removed.

All this was built because they didn't know how to build a stair case that would reach the ground.

Start of my 4 foot extension.

Old stair case will be removed. It makes a nice ladder and scaffold for now.

New stair case, six steps down to platform and 10 steps back to house.  The now REACH the ground.

New composite decking is going down.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Impressive DE!  Good job.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking really good DE!!! :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks great DE! Altho I could see taking out that bush, adding a pool and putting a diving board on the deck.  :happy1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S05oMDOGDJQ 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And Merry Christmas to you!!!    :hubba:  I'm liking the pool idea now too.   :sleazy:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
me thinks that was Glenn on the diving board first!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
If it wasn't Glenn it was his twin brother!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Looking good.  It's to hot to fish and they were  not bitting anyway.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks great DE. Here's a picture of my BIL's deck with the cable in case you're still interested.  :happy1:

mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
me thinks that was Glenn on the diving board first!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:tut: :tut:

MIKEY...……………..BITE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut:

MIKEY...……………..BITE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

welcome back buddy!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

and I really thought it was a good likeness!!   :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have been working through the heat.  The deck is done except for the railing.  Still looking at options for the rail.

I decided to use the boards from the old deck to make a new "lower" deck.

I'm not sure what I will do with the grass under that now exists under the deck.
I will however, have to extend the rock path to meet the concrete patio. Next spring project.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I still think the diving board & pool would work nicely. Hydrangeas are overrated.  ;)
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You are a way overachiever and I am not telling my wife about all of you projects.....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
take the grass out and extend the ornamental rock like you already have!!!!!! its what I did when I added the deck to my house!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It looks like I will have to forgo my plan to install a "cable" railing system.  After much research, I came to the conclusion that it would just not be worth the expense.  I intended to use cable on the top deck and regular railing on the stairs and landing, however, I was convinced that it wouldn't look right unless it all matched.  I checked several cable railing suppliers and the cost would be over $7000.  :doah:  I switched to all aluminum posts and preassembled panels.  Home Depot sells "Aria" railing panels and posts.  Menards sells "Williams" railings and posts.  A little research revealed that these are the exact same railing systems made by the same manufacture using the same specifications.  Go figure.  Home Depot came in at $4200 and Menards at $4000 for the exact same parts.  I could see on line that Menards had some of the level deck panels in the store that had been returned. This railing in black is special order and has a 25% restocking fee if returned.  To my good fortune, they had all the deck panels I needed (8 six foot and 3 eight foot) that had been returned.  I told the manager being they charged the guy who returned them 25% fee, it just seemed fair that they knock off that 25% for me.  He went for it which saved me $470.  That along with the 11% rebate, gets the cost down to near $3000. Now I wait for the posts and stair railings.     

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I told the manager being they charged the guy who returned them 25% fee, it just seemed fair that they knock off that 25% for me.  He went for it which saved me $470. 

You ought to find out who that guy was and send him a Christmas card.   ;)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Deck project (better called PROJECTS) are done.  Can't wait to see what's next.  Now I need to extend the stone path that used to end at some part of the old deck all the way to the concrete patio.  That's not gonna happen this year.  Good spring job when finding the right stones is a lot easier. 

New view from kitchen patio door

Deck under the deck.  Made from old deck boards. I like this area will probably get more use than the deck above.

Shows where existing stone path ends.  I will have to extend through the rocks.

Nothing like cutting a few stair railings to keep up the anxiety level. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman