Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 ELK season  (Read 3347 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
got an email from the DNR with an announcement regarding the 2020 elk season.

ANYONE else thinking about it?????? i'm thinking of applying, slim to none chanse but........hey........... even boar catches a fish occasionally!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

OH AND BOAR....... :tut: :tut: SHAWD UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tut: :tut:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I'm in.  A friend owns land where the herd spends most of it's time.  He allows hunting as long as he gets to video the hunt.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm in.  A friend owns land where the herd spends most of it's time.  He allows hunting as long as he gets to video the hunt.
what's your friends name and address. :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Our hunting land is about 10 miles north of where they tend to hang out.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :fudd: Elk hunters have more choices when applying for a license

:police: ....
DNR responds to increasing elk population by expanding antlerless hunts
The Department of Natural Resources is now accepting applications for elk hunting licenses in northwestern Minnesota for seasons that will be held from late August to early December.

This year's seasons are structured to allow hunters to have more opportunities to harvest antlerless elk. The DNR is offering 44 elk licenses this year; last year there were 27 offered. More seasons and license options are also available this year. The application deadline is June 12.

There will be better odds of getting an antlerless license, and we hope hunters consider applying for one of these licenses, said Barbara Keller, DNR big game program leader. Elk meat is delicious and fills far more freezer space than a white-tailed deer.

The DNR is allowing hunters to choose from three options when they apply to harvest elk: a license for a bull elk; a license for an antlerless elk, which can be a female or a young male; or a license for either a bull or antlerless elk. Additional hunting seasons will spread out hunting effort, from late August to early December.

The 44 elk hunting licenses offered this year are in either the Kittson central zone (zone 20), with 42 licenses, or Kittson northeast zone (zone 30), with two licenses. Hunts in these zones focus on the Kittson Central herd, which is increasing.

The dates for the 2020 Minnesota elk season are:

Saturday, Aug. 22, to Sunday, Aug. 30: Four antlerless tags and three either-sex tags will be available in the Kittson central (zone 20) zone.
Saturday, Sept. 5, to Sunday, Sept. 13: Four antlerless tags and three either-sex tags will be available in the Kittson central (zone 20) zone and two bull-only tags will be available in the Kittson northeast (zone 30) zone.
Saturday, Sept. 19, to Sunday, Sept. 27: Four antlerless tags and three either-sex tags will be available in the Kittson central (zone 20).
Saturday, Oct. 3, to Sunday, Oct. 11: Four antlerless tags and three either-sex tags will be available in the Kittson central (zone 20).
Saturday, Oct. 24, to Sunday, Nov. 1: Four antlerless tags and three either-sex tags will be available in the Kittson central (zone 20).
Saturday, Dec. 5, to Sunday, Dec. 13: Four antlerless tags and three either-sex tags will be available in the Kittson central (zone 20).
The DNR uses hunting as the main tool to manage elk populations, with harvest of female elk the focus of keeping populations within goal range.

The new license options give better odds of getting a license to hunters who want to harvest an antlerless elk. Antlerless applicants are now put in a separate pool of applicants; in the past, hunters willing to harvest an antlerless elk needed to compete in the lottery against hunters who only planned to harvest a bull.

Two of state's herds increasing
There are currently three recognized herds in northwestern Minnesota  Grygla, Kittson Central, and Caribou-Vita  and counts for Grygla and Kittson Central were higher this year, continuing an upward population trend.

This year, the DNR counted 126 elk in most of the state's elk range in Kittson, Marshall and Beltrami counties. The Grygla and Kittson Central herd counts were 24 and 102 elk, respectively. The Caribou-Vita herd was last surveyed in 2018.

The Grygla and the Caribou-Vita herds remain below goal, which is why the Grygla area elk zone remains closed to hunting and minimal permits (two bull-only licenses) are available for the Caribou-Vita zone. The Kittson Central herd is above goal, providing this years hunting opportunities. Minnesota's elk management plan sets a population goal range for each of the three herds.

Applying for a license
It is important that hunters review the season structure on the DNR website prior to entering the elk season lottery, to make sure they apply for the license they want.

Hunters must select the type of elk license they are applying for: bull-only (two licenses available), either-sex (18 licenses available) or antlerless only (24 licenses available), in addition to the zone and season. Hunters may apply individually or in parties of two online or by telephone 888-665-4236. There is a nonrefundable application fee of $5 per hunter.

More information is available on the DNR's elk hunting page. For more on Minnesota's elk, visit the DNR's elk management page.

And Dat's All I Have Ta Say Bout Dat!

« Last Edit: May 05/14/20, 08:02:45 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have applied in the past but haven't this year yet.  I am tempted though.  Would be great to shoot an elk.  Any elk. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well...…..I went and done did it. applied for an elk license. couldn't decide what time frame, so I posted them to a wall and threw a dart...….took me 20 minutes to hit it but...…. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
decided schedule D...…...either sex. I thought about the anterless only, but about the time I did that id see the biggest bull in the state!!!!!!!! :happy1: think that season starts Oct 3rd!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
wont matter....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
wont matter....
you got my bedroom cleaned up yet!! :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yu can stay here, but i know you wont be getting off the couch either
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yu can stay here, but i know you wont be getting off the couch either
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HMMM...… a while back I emailed the DNR asking when the drawing was. they told me it would be JUNE 12th. looked at the site and cant seem to find it if they did the drawing. :scratch: :scratch:

thought it might be like the deer anterless or bear drawing where ya put the DNR number in and they tell ya if your successful???? :scratch:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought the deadline to apply was June 12th. The drawing has not happened yet.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought the deadline to apply was June 12th. The drawing has not happened yet.
that's what the DNR email said?? :doofus: :scratch: :doah: I thought the same thing.

Offline LivingTheDream

• If you ain't first then you're last.
Anyone hear anything yet?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone hear anything yet?
:pouty: :pouty: nope!!!!!!!! :doah: and i'd have all kinds of time!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: