Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: It has begun... pickles!  (Read 9277 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Damn HD how can you handle that heat  :doofus: I put this chilli peppers in some of stuff and I cut that in half. :confused:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Damn HD how can you handle that heat  :doofus: I put this chilli peppers in some of stuff and I cut that in half. :confused:

Cast iron stomach I guess... :rotflmao: If you don't believe me, ask the General. We went to the Manannah bar and I ordered the "inferno burger", the owner kept asking me if I needed some water to wash it down and I asked him if he had some Tabasco cause his burger was a little bland.... :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Those peppers go in whole HD, or do you cut em up? The hottest i grew this year were serranos,  i know that's not very.. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Those peppers go in whole HD, or do you cut em up? The hottest i grew this year were serranos,  i know that's not very..

I cut them in half (length wise)....cause the heat is in the seeds and membrane....if you leave them whole, you don't get the "full" effect..... :rotflmao:

I got some Reaper's for the next batch....those, will melt yur face off....  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can handle some jalapenos but not that other stuff.  Actually I would like to try them.  But man that sounds hot!!!   I did 7 qts with 1 1/2 jalapeno in each one and that is living on the edge here.  LOL I did three qts of an easy refrigerator pickles yesterday.  They are great!  LOL  I couldn't wait 24 hours.  You layer onions and sliced cukes.  Easy as can be. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll hafta pick up some hot peppers, mark the lid " not for the weak" lol. That's all we've been doing is fridge pickles,  they don't stand a chance fer 2 months anyway..

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I can handle some jalapenos but not that other stuff.  Actually I would like to try them.  But man that sounds hot!!!   I did 7 qts with 1 1/2 jalapeno in each one and that is living on the edge here.  LOL I did three qts of an easy refrigerator pickles yesterday.  They are great!  LOL  I couldn't wait 24 hours.  You layer onions and sliced cukes.  Easy as can be.

The "really hot" ones (not really to me) we like in our bloodies LPS....kinda (as Emerald would say) kicks er up a knotch!  :happy1:

I have noticed that you boys are really "canning" pickles, I do a hot bath just to seal. They last a year or so in the cooler, but most times they are eaten before they will go bad. Mine, can be eaten the next day, but are better in about a week or so afterwards of "canning"....like Glenn say's...they gotta meld.....(oh....did I say that out loud? I agree with a Smurf  :banghead: )

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well it is get jars hot.  Fill with pickles, dill, garlic, peppers in some, etc.  Put lids on and put in the big pot with the can lifter wire frame thing and boil for 20 minutes.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: you fellers are catching on. :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Isn't that what you are talking HD?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Well it is get jars hot.  Fill with pickles, dill, garlic, peppers in some, etc.  Put lids on and put in the big pot with the can lifter wire frame thing and boil for 20 minutes.

I don't boil for 20 minutes, my jars cool down in hot water.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
did you 3 qts of pickled green beans last nite, got 6 total now. nice goodies for the dead of winter!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Glenn, I hope you got your tetanus shot before you started canning?
just so you guys know when I went to fleet farm yesterday I was going to buy a bunch of new things just to satisfy you'll. But like everything else they didn't have any. :pouty: all kinds of jars, no rings, no kids.

In today's paper, there ad had them for 2.69. what a joke.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't walked in one in months,  just cuz of that!! Talked to a manager and he didn't seem to care, so I said see ya!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yea flat farm here is the same, empty...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Ever since KKR bought out the Mills family all of FF have empty shelves, even the ones down here. :scratch: :doah: :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What a shame.  Used to love going there.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
What a shame.  Used to love going there.
Yeah, me to. It must be some sort of new corporate strategy to not have so much inventory in the stores/warehouses. I don't think the managers would like it at all as it would cut into their bonuses, so I doubt it's their idea.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Makes me want to go there extra hassle and trouble to drive all the way at over to the east side of st cloud. Runnings opened up a store in the old Shopko building.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Have you guys tried Runnings?
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm gonna start Ken. Even when I accompany the wife to target or Walmart I say look, even these places are fully stocked on canning supplies,  wiper blades, oil you name it. Pretty sad. Good thing Sheels sporting goods is in town now..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Have you guys tried Runnings?
not yet but I will be  :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always liked Runnings.  Good prices and good people.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
did you 3 qts of pickled green beans last nite, got 6 total now. nice goodies for the dead of winter!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

just so you guys know when I went to fleet farm yesterday I was going to buy a bunch of new things just to satisfy you'll. But like everything else they didn't have any. :pouty: all kinds of jars, no rings, no kids.

Bet L & M in GR has a bunch of 'em a lot cheaper than that, if you get up there this week.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty hard to beat L&M Fleet!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Bet L & M in GR has a bunch of 'em a lot cheaper than that, if you get up there this week.
i'' be there this thursday!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just left L & M. No kids and no idea when they'll get more. :scratch:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Wow...I was just at fleet farm in Cambridge last week and bought lids and rings. I have enough now for what I gotta do. Must be cause of the pandemic that everyone's hording stuff? The only thing I didn't find was some seed tape that I like to use....oh well...

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Just left L & M. No kids and no idea when they'll get more. :scratch:

they don't sell kids there I hope!!!   :rotflmao: :happy1: