Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 3rd year apple orchard  (Read 794 times)

Offline Smokey Hills Bandit

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Full swing into our 3rd growing season and it's been a wild ride. We had a few trees die in their first winter and many more died back to about a foot tall. Most trees have made a very nice recovery and have made it back to their original heights (4-6ft)

I spent $2,500 to plant 24 trees with weed barrier, wire mesh cage, tree tubes, t posts, and mulch. So to see it take 3 years to recover has been difficult, but i'm happy they are alive.

A few tips for anyone planting an apple tree.
- Apple trees remind me of a garden plant. If you plant in poor soil, you will get poor results. Plan a year ahead of planting and correct your soil!
- Cages are a must for deer and tree tubes for rodents.
- Weed control is a must in early stages (-5years). I started with weed barriers and mulch, but will have to implement spraying as grass will grow through anything.
- Water your trees as much as you can in the first 2 years. Destination hunting spots can make this a heck of a challenge.
- Buy from a reliable source. I buy from starkbro's, which offer a year warranty with no questions asked. They have replaced 5 trees at no cost. I would recommend MDHA based on cost and size I've seen from DE.
-Buy for your zone and research your trees. Chestnut and Whitney crab apples have done the best and still produce an amazing fresh eating apple.

- I cannot speak apple trees without mentioning the 'Deadeye' approach.
DE has had great success with annual planting of apple trees. I have now gone with this approach and will be adding 5 trees a year moving forward. 

Moved to metal tags before I lose track of which varieties are where
« Last Edit: August 08/12/20, 03:16:03 PM by Smokey Hills Bandit »