Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wild Parsnip  (Read 2474 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I worked for the County Hwy Dept we were informed of wild parsnip.  That was 10 years ago???   Well I found 3 of them right along our walking path to the river one year.  I put a big garbage bag over them and pulled them and brought to landfill.  I just found 3 more about 15 yards from where I found the others.  Here is pics of them.  BAD STUFF!!  Make poison ivy look tame.  Some terrible reactions especially when you get in the sun.  Can last for a long time and can even come back when you get in the sun again I believe.  Hope these pics help.  Click on them and you can see them better.  See the leaves have a sort of saw tooth edge on the one that is easier to see.
« Last Edit: August 08/06/20, 04:23:49 PM by LPS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Update:  The wife held the garbage bag like we were snipe hunting.  LOL  There were 4 real big ones maybe 3-4' tall.  Had to fold them over a few times to get in the bag.  We ended up with about 10 of them.  We found some little ones too.  Less that a foot tall.  Makes me feel better to have them under control.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Sounds like it's a good place to spray with round up 🤔
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's rampant in the road ditches around these parts Barry. As you point out it does nasty stuff to your skin. Always one of the first things I look for when jumping out of the truck on a field approach. Control wouldn't be that difficult if they got on an early to mid-fall spray program for several consecutive years with 2,4-D. It's a biennial so it's killed when it's a rosette that way, preventing it from bolting, flowering and setting seed. Cheap & effective. However, too many get their panties in a twist any time you mention chemical control. So instead locally they've gone to mowing the crap out of all the road ditches. Some are too steep or too wet for mowing. If they don't get the plants mowed off before they set seed, it doesn't do much good. And the timing (mid-July) raises hob with wildlife habitat.  :confused: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was hoping for you to weigh in on this.  Some Counties made it a priority to eradicate. Meaning spray the heck out of it.   That is how we got the notice.  Once you have seen it you won't forget it.  Top of my list of things to eradicate!  LOL 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I was hoping for you to weigh in on this.  Some Counties made it a priority to eradicate. Meaning spray the heck out of it.   That is how we got the notice.  Once you have seen it you won't forget it.  Top of my list of things to eradicate!  LOL

Yeah, you should see the looks I get out at the nature reserve when I suggest to the volunteers who are down on their hands and knees pulling non-native vegetation that a pint jar of roundup and a brush would do a better job faster...   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

Yeah, you should see the looks I get out at the nature reserve when I suggest to the volunteers who are down on their hands and knees pulling non-native vegetation that a pint jar of roundup and a brush would do a better job faster...   
:tut: :tut: Del, Del, Del, there ya go again, stirring the pot  :tut: :pouty: :evil: :evil:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, so you're saying you caught a snipe 3' to 4' tall? :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Twas a big un!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sounds more like sandhill cranes... :scratch:

Seriously tho, now would be a good time to be spraying the snot out of the wild parsnip with 2,4-D. Can see the rosettes in the road ditches all over the place where they mowed it off earlier.  Now it's reseeded for next year. WTH good did mowing it off do other than to provide someone with something to do?  :confused: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)