Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Watermelon  (Read 3630 times)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Anyone here grow seedless watermelon? I've tried a bunch of times and can't get them to germinate. Regular seeded I have no problem with. I have 5 varieties growing now and have been eating them for a week or so.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can't say that I have tried seedless.  So just where do the seeds from seedless watermelons come from.  :confused:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Seedless melons are triploid.....3 sources instead of just 2 for seeded melons.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
My grandsons with a yellow melon from our garden.......weighed 23 lbs.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is so interesting Ken.  I have never grown a melon before.  Like a huge cuke.  Do you have to water them a lot more than a regular garden?  Beautiful melons.  And yes I have used that line before.   :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Do those taste like a normal red melon??? Never seen that kind either  :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't watered hardly at all this year. In our part of the world you have to start melons inside and transplant them. I also use row covers for the first month or so. Melons are desert plants and love heat. So I use these. They really work well and store easily.

« Last Edit: August 08/12/20, 09:08:13 PM by KEN W »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
They are similar. My kids and grand kids love yellow melons.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I like all kinds of melons!  :rotflmao: :sleazy: :sleazy:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:confused: :pouty: dere's dat seks ting again!!!!!!!! :confused: :pouty: :pouty: :sleazy: :evil:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Beautiful melons Ken! You have a real talent. Not everyone can raise a decent watermelon especially that far north. :happy1: Varying degrees of success here over the years. Frequently summers have been too wet although when we've had a drier summer they'll do OK. Better success with muskmelons. Hoping recently moving the garden to a south facing slope will help. To our south around Muscatine IA they raise dandy melons. Friend of mine grew up there. Sandy ground and they can irrigate if needed. Haven't had a Muscatine melon in a long time but might be worth a cruise in the Stude someday. 
« Last Edit: August 08/13/20, 09:34:55 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone here grow seedless watermelon? I've tried a bunch of times and can't get them to germinate. Regular seeded I have no problem with. I have 5 varieties growing now and have been eating them for a week or so.

I heard some where people using a soft art brush to try and germinate pollen from one plant to another, if the Bee's aren't getting it done?  :confused:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
:confused: :pouty: dere's dat seks ting again!!!!!!!! :confused: :pouty: :pouty: :sleazy: :evil:
I had to beat ya to it.  ;) :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

I heard some where people using a soft art brush to try and germinate pollen from one plant to another, if the Bee's aren't getting it done?  :confused:

In China, they use too much pesticide, killed all the bees, and now they NEED to pollinate plants by hand.  Word.

These Photos Capture The Startling Effect Of Shrinking Bee Populations

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You got that right! 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I've tried hand pollination.....worked OK, but really wasn't worth the effort. I haven't had problems with pollination for seedless melons. It's getting them to germinate that is tough. They need perfect conditions, water and heat which commercial companies can provide. Plus the seeds are expensive.....anywhere from $.50 to $1.00 per seed. Usually with 10 seeds per packet.

Seeded melons are much easier. This year I have Yellow Petite, Blacktail Mountain, Lemon Krush, Golden Crown, and Mambo. The last 2 have won Vegetable All America awards. The one in the picture is a Lemon Krush.The hardest part about growing watermelons is being able to tell when they are ripe.

Melons need to be started inside and need early heat during the cool months of May and early June....row covers.
« Last Edit: August 08/14/20, 07:30:44 AM by KEN W »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like alot of work and babysitting there KenW!!!!!!! usually worth the effort. i
'll continue to go to the veggie stand as i dont have enough room for all those vine type plants!!!

i sure enjoy your pictures and posts!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man Ken that is quite a process!  I like melons but I will continue to buy them.  No way could I keep up with that program.  I honor you for doing it!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got a good sized melon patch....12 ft by 30 ft. Half watermelons and half cantalope,honeydew, and santa claus melons. But I have lots of time. Being retired for 12 years. My early cantalope are finished. They all ranged from 5 to 10 pounds. Grand kids never get tired of eating cantalope.  :happy1: :happy1:

Right now I am in the process of transplanting 120 strawberry daughter plants into new beds for next year. I have Honeyoe, Cabot, Ozark Beauty, Fort Laramie, and Seascape.

Red, yellow, and purple raspberries are just starting to ripen.

Family is busy eating Sweet Corn.....Northern Super Sweet, American Dream, Signature, Anthem, and Honey and Pearl. Should have corn to eat till late Sept.

Tomatoes are really slow this year for some reason.....When I was teaching I always wanted to be finished canning tomatoes by the time school started. Haven't even started this year.  :confused: :confused:

Love August for gardening.....the big 3.....Tomatoes, Sweet Corn, and Melons.  :bow:  :bow:

I am also testing Carrots, orange beets, corn, pumpkins, and peas this year  for NDSU's extension service.
« Last Edit: August 08/15/20, 07:22:45 AM by KEN W »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn impressive Ken. 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
40 years of learning. Not every thing turns out right. And a passion to get it right.

:crazy: :crazy:
« Last Edit: August 08/15/20, 11:56:24 AM by KEN W »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so Ken what does the lemon krush taste like then or do all the melons taste about the same??
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
They are a little different. My kids and grand kids love the yellow ones and will eat them over the red ones every time.

One thing about watermelons.....as I said above.....they are REALLY hard to tell when they are ripe.You can't tell by just looking at them. When I see melons the size of golf balls....I take a plastic spoon or knife and put the date on it and stick it in the ground alongside.  Then 35 days later it should be ripe.

You can also look at the tiny tendril opposite where the melon is attached.....when it is brown and dries up, it should be ripe.

When I worked in the produce department of a big grocery store in Fargo.....I would see people knocking them and asking me if it was ripe. I had to tell them the only way to tell is to cut it open. And to take it home. If it wasn't ripe.....to bring it back.
« Last Edit: August 08/15/20, 04:31:21 PM by KEN W »