Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Got my first ripe tomatoes  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
How do you guys process your tomatoes when they are just trickling in? Blanch then freeze?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I quit the whole blanch thing.  I just put them in a bag and freeze them.  When they start to thaw when I am going to use them the peels come right off. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I picked enough Early Girls and Saucy tomatoes today for the first batch of fresh salsa>
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ok Barry we are going to try your freezing method..  that way we can get more maters too..   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
So, just wash them, bag them, and into the freezer whole? That’s a time saver.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup it works great and makes blanching a lot of un-needed work to me.  We have had some tomatoes frozen for a couple of years and they still were great for stews and soups.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that I think about it I think someone on here told me that.  Or the other place. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll hafta try that lps, I've been picking daily starting to give em away. How bout freezing for salsa yet ?

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that I think about it I think someone on here told me that.  Or the other place.
That is what we have been doing for a long time. It may have been me that mentioned it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: i've never heard of such a thing?????? :doah: :scratch: :scratch: to many tomatoes to have to freeze?????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, as long as you plug the freezer in all will be good.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I just had to do it. ;) :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, as long as you plug the freezer in all will be good.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I just had to do it. ;) :rotflmao:
:doofus: :pouty: :pouty: :doah: :taz: :taz: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
...along with worms & grasshoppers dying from various fungal pathogens!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have noticed more grasshoppers than usual this later summer.   They make a snapping sound at times.  The other day one landed by me and snapped 4 times.  A strong snapping sound!   Weren't like the big green ones we saw in Luverne but a darker color. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
scored a bunch more maters today, going to freeze them too and then next week we are going to make stewed maters and spaghetti sauce if we can find a good recipe!!    got green peppers too!!   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
scored a bunch more maters today, going to freeze them too and then next week we are going to make stewed maters and spaghetti sauce if we can find a good recipe!!    got green peppers too!!
so who's garden you stealing from. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Steward mater's are easy peasy. No need for recipe.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
agreed on the stewed maters, but reread it I said spaghetti sauce..   and I just happen to know the folks with the garden and I didn't realize how much extra they had till this year!!!  so score!!!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just keeping you on your toes!!!!!!! :sleazy: :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

i've only seen sketti sause made from scratch once, and that was a while ago. from what i remember, the skun, cored and quartered the maters. then they added a bunch of different seasonings. they were fresh and they diced these up really fine, thins like basil oregano........dat kind of stuff.

i gotz my own world famous sketti sauce i make!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

[/quote]

You make your own ketchup?
« Last Edit: August 08/14/20, 08:40:51 AM by Cooperman »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

You make you own ketchup?
[/quote] :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :pouty: :tut: :tut: :tut: no. dere is a difference between katchup and sketti sauce.  :moon: i let Heinz take care of da katchup part!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: