Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: rain gauges  (Read 748 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A while back someone posted info on rain gauges.  I have one of the large 4" X 14" with tube inside.  The large outside cylinder is really clouded over (like the headlights on some cars).  I'm looking for a replacement and I remember several posts about these but I couldn't find them.  Can someone point me to it. Thanks
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I found my answer.  dotch posted this

Same here. The one at home has been out there for ~11 seasons now and the outer cylinder is getting tougher to see thru due to photo degradation. I dropped the inner cylinder on the garage floor and cracked it but was able to get a replacement from my SWCS office. The funnel still has the Product Alternatives sticker on it so if you're looking for replacement parts or a new gauge, here's a link. They were being manufactured in Fergus Falls but I see the address on the link now is Jacksonville FL.  :confused:

http://www.rainmanweather.com/All-Weather-Rain-Gauge-Official-Gauge
Modify message
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had to modify the gauge at home a few weeks back deadeye. Seems we'd get these 1"+ rainfalls and the water would stay in the funnel sometimes above the inner cylinder. Wasn't sure if the rainfall had run over the top of the funnel or not during the rainfall event as hard as it rained sometimes. A vacuum developed because the funnel fit so tight on the outer cylinder. Drilled a small vent hole up high on the outer gauge to take care of the problem. Works like it's supposed to now.  :happy1: 
« Last Edit: August 08/25/20, 02:01:51 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)