Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bird baths  (Read 8309 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Anyone else put out a bird bath??

The past couple weeks I've noticed the water in my bird bath get a greenish color after a day or so. It's usually after it's rained. With my phone lately always having these pollen alerts, I'm believing the rain is doing this. Could be wrong?? :scratch:

I regularly clean my bird bath, usually couple times a week and change water more often. About 3-4 times a year I take it down and let it soak in water with bleach. Wash it out good and put it back out.

Anyone with a bird bath encounter this??? It's made of some cement type product.
« Last Edit: August 08/31/20, 08:50:35 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just sounds like pollen to me.  Sometimes ours gets red too. 

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
I gave up on bird baths years ago fur da same reason ya mentioned. :doah:  Every spring fur many years we get da same two ducks (male & female). Der here daily since day eat all da over flow seeds from dem feeders.

We usualy trow out chunks a old bread when day show up.  :offtopic: :oops1: Now ta stay on topic .....back ta-da bird bath issue :doah:.

I decided ta supply water fur dem ducks :scratch:. So I took one a-da plastic garbage can lids an put it on da patio one year an fill it wit water :happy1:  Dem darn ducks loved it :bow: Der in dat darn ting off and on all day. Day like ta pick up da bread chunks & march over ta-da polish pond and wet da bread... den swollow it down.

:crazy: Problem is dat as der sittin in da sun and soakin/bathing  day crap in da same water dat der drinkin & bathin in :puke:  :bonk:
« Last Edit: September 09/01/20, 06:35:06 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya that is pretty gross Lee.  I finally threw our bird bath out about a month ago.  Got tired of mowing around it but the river is close for them to drink.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just sounds like pollen to me.  Sometimes ours gets red too.
kinda what i thought to.  :scratch:

i enjoy watching the birds going to that. especially the robins. they splash more water then they drink though!!!!!! :rotflmao:

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
        "they splash more water then they drink though!!!!!!"

Might be why it's called a Bird BATH. Just thinking out-loud here that's all. Have a great day. :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
        "they splash more water then they drink though!!!!!!"

Might be why it's called a Bird BATH. Just thinking out-loud here that's all. Have a great day. :happy1: :happy1:
:pouty: sure, your not a week into retirement and already a smarty-pants. :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup he's doing good!!!  keep it Mark!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Some times when we get old we forget to do things we thought we did.  Clean the Bird bath, take our meds,...………………………….  :scratch: :scratch:   :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Some times when we get old we forget to do things we thought we did.  Clean the Bird bath, take our meds,...………………………….  :scratch: :scratch:   :rotflmao:

what were ya going to do??   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:rotflmao: I'm not that old yet!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
all the birds at the bird bath just drink...  today I had a flicker hit it!!   what fun!!  head under, then wings in, backed in and oh my did he love it!!!!!  fun to watch!!!! 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
bluejays do the same thing...

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I should get another bird bath.  They are fun to watch. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
bluejays do the same thing...

they onlt been drinking the water, that is until today..  just had a jay enjoy a good time in the bird bath!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh boy is it funny watching the adult blue jays trying to get the young birds to use the bird bath!!!  they are afraid  to even land on it!!  let alone jump in the water!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet Mike, not sure why momma cares so much this year, heat perhaps but our cement bird bath in the back was leaning so she made me fix it. She added a small one out front,  shockingly she switches out the water about every other day, good fer her and they get used. What surprised me is she put a Tupperware dish of water out front for the dang squirrels,  and they actually drink out of it..
« Last Edit: July 07/27/21, 03:47:16 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
oh boy is it funny watching the adult blue jays trying to get the young birds to use the bird bath!!!  they are afraid  to even land on it!!  let alone jump in the water!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
well iffin you where a good bird lover..........you'd go show them how its done!!!!!!!! :mooning: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well iffin you where a good bird lover..........you'd go show them how its done!!!!!!!! :mooning: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

no swan dives here!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet Mike, not sure why momma cares so much this year, heat perhaps but our cement bird bath in the back was leaning so she made me fix it. She added a small one out front,  shockingly she switches out the water about every other day, good fer her and they get used. What surprised me is she put a Tupperware dish of water out front for the dang squirrels,  and they actually drink out of it..

good for her but a bowl for the tree rats now that's funny!!!   in the spring they use the bird bath so now I wonder about something like that here..  might be fun!!    but I will pass on that cause I have too many other critters!!!   :happy1:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

good for her but a bowl for the tree rats now that's funny!!!   in the spring they use the bird bath so now I wonder about something like that here..  might be fun!!    but I will pass on that cause I have too many other critters!!!   :happy1:

You need to put some tincture in the bowl Now that would be f un to watch.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Sometimes you will notice early birds in the spring eating fermented berries left over from the winter.  They don't fly right afterwards, but they keep coming back for more.  :scratch:   :tequila;   :drinking:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Sometimes you will notice early birds in the spring eating fermented berries left over from the winter.  They don't fly right afterwards, but they keep coming back for more.  :scratch:   :tequila;   :drinking:
:scratch: kinda like Mike and Gunner after happy hour!!!!!!!  :scratch: :scratch: :doah: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
don't fer get yourself there bucko!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and birds and other critters can be funny to watch when they get into that good stuff!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
don't fer get yourself there bucko!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and birds and other critters can be funny to watch when they get into that good stuff!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Just stay away from drunk skunks and porkypines....  :shocked:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
So I've noticed little cracks in our cement bird bath, water usually only stays fir about a day. Thinking on sealing it but if the birds do drink it I hope it isn't toxic. Any thoughts?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
worth a try maybe, I went to a metal one years ago..  and the birds are enjoying it today again!! 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
watched the bath slowly freeze over today...   with the wind today the birds were laying low anyway...