Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: %$^&*$#$ Bees  (Read 1692 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Today I stopped at a friends farm to get some bales for my archery backstop. Climbed up in a shed to throw down some straw bales and knelt in bees nest.  I took a while to get down because I had to climb over stuff.  Lost both shoes before I hit the door and was still taking hits 100 feet out the door.  Not too sure how many stings I got as some were close enough to each other to look and feel like one.  This was the third and worst bee nest I stumbled into in the past three weeks.  Now I feel like I have a target on my back.   :angry2:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Seems like they are bad this year...Mama got zapped a few times, the granddaughter got hit 3 times, and I took a few getting the nests knocked out.....

I think Boar got hit a few times this past month too?

Yup, they suck!  :censored:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yea i took 10 hits from a yellow jaxket nest i disturbed while mowing. thos hits last into the next day with pain!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Be careful.  That can be dangerous as heck..

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Ouch! Those dang bees surely do hurt. Been awhile for me. Thankfully. Probably just jinxed myself now.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed,dang yellow jackets(hornets) every year as fall apporaches they swarm my apple trees,make ground nests,we use a foam spray that does the job once said nest is located,stings...still use the old wet mud trick,stops the pain pronto.

just think when minnesota is invaded by the "murder hornets" lol

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
For some reason the yellow jackets haven't bothered here. Those effin' paper wasps are another story. Every few years they nail me. Keep my eyes peeled when I see one then follow it back to where it came from, usually the gas pump, under an eave or in an outdoor electrical box. Nuke 'em with some dairy aerosol or permethrin if the hand sprayer's full. Every few years there's a bumblebee nest in the ground out back too. Took to mowing that in the evenings to avoid getting stung.
« Last Edit: September 09/04/20, 11:00:00 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Had friend of a friend die on an island on rainy lake due to stings.   He didn't know he was allergic and went into anaphylactic shock.  Dead by the time the EMTs could get to him.   

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The question is...do you get immunity with multiple stings, or does it go the other way?
I've been stung so many times in my life that the pain and inflammation only lasts around an hour.
My wife seems to think that it would go the other way after time, that you can go into anaphylactic  shock as Del describes......
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It's just like poison ivy.  You can be almost immune to it for years an all of a sudden you get it bad for years.  Or you can be very vulnerable to it and then not get it for years.  The body changes.  Same with bee stings. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure how that works but got stung today and over the years had a few time I also hit a nest, not fun at all.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
The question is...do you get immunity with multiple stings, or does it go the other way?
I've been stung so many times in my life that the pain and inflammation only lasts around an hour.
My wife seems to think that it would go the other way after time, that you can go into anaphylactic  shock as Del describes......

You got me curious so I did a little research with dr google....   From what I read, it can go either way.   Just because you had mild reactions some times doesn't mean you won't have a worse reaction next time.   Like bee keepers are more likely to have had a severe reaction that just a regular person who gets stung.    There is some thinking that someone who has a moderately bad reaction one time might be more likely to have even a worse reaction another time.   

I have heard with poison Ivy that just because you don't get it one time doesn't mean you won't get it next time.   Luckily I've never had it but I've been pretty careful.   My son has had it bad a couple times due to bad luck.   

If she is worried you could carry an epipen when somewhere you might get stung, like out in the woods in the summer.   Or just get a big life insurance policy and take your chances.   

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
delcecchi may be right.  Like HD, my stings usually hurt for a few hours and then I pretty much forgot about them.  I still have lasting effects of my last encounter.  I don't know if it's because of the number of stings (around a dozen) or what but some of them still hurt, burn and itch like hell after two days.  :angry2:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
delcecchi may be right.  Like HD, my stings usually hurt for a few hours and then I pretty much forgot about them.  I still have lasting effects of my last encounter.  I don't know if it's because of the number of stings (around a dozen) or what but some of them still hurt, burn and itch like hell after two days.  :angry2:

That is a more severe reaction.   I might want to carry an epi pen or two for a while during sting season.   
Being found dead out in the woods someplace would spoil your whole season.