Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: could this happen?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
Last night we were out and the motor quit.  The gas gauge showed a little less than a quarter tank and has always been accurate in the past.

Put three gallons in and it still wouldn't start.  Squeezed the bulb three times and it started.  But gas had leaked out onto my hand when I squeezed.  Not a lot, enough to dampen my hand.

Could the bulb have let in air or something and broke the prime in the gas line?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup the bulb has cracks in it and is leaking.  They used to last forever.  Now I pay extra for what is supposed to be a good one and they still only last 3 years.  Same with the lines. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Oh yeah... I've had to replace several bulbs in the past. They suck air and make a motor run like crap.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if maybe it is worth it and get the Merc, Johnson etc ones???  My new Merc doesn't even have a bulb.  Just the line.

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
When I go to replace it will the gas from the tank run out?  There is something near and up the line that looks like a filter or something.  No idea what it really is.  PITA to do this with the boat in the water but it is a 23 foot pontoon.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would think that with the cracks in the bulb that it has lost its prime.  May drip some gas in the line but no stream of gas from the tank. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Can you unplug it from the tank before you replace the bulb?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Reading up on this 1 time(online) I read where a marine mechanic said this is common problem & he recommended using Yamaha gas lines. Theirs are different from other manufacturer's & last longer, is what he said.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
I bought a new bulb today but now I have another question  since it has no directions.    Does the old one just sort of unplug and the new one plugs back in?  The boat is in the water and it is going to take some serious gymnastics to get to the setup and so I'd like to have an idea on what to expect.

Again, thanks for your time.

Tom

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
usually they are clamped on with metal clamps..  unless they have changed the way it's done..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They are directional too.  You have to make sure the arrow that is on there is pointing in the right direction.  As in towards the boat.  Use some little stainless hose clamps.  Then wrap them up in electrical tape so they aren't sharp.