Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How do I get a bear to go daytime  (Read 3768 times)

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So this is my first time bear hunting I’ve deer hunted for 30+ yrs. It’s definitely a learning hunt. I thought this would be a breeze but after some work I’ve got a boar patterned. The only time I see him on camera is at night. I started baiting in Aug the pictures I’ve got of him at daylight was the 2 days before opener that’s it. I’ll see him on camera for 3-4 days then a sow and 2 cubs come in for 2-3 days then they switch off again.

Is the sow and cubs making him nocturnal?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I really doubt that sow and cubs are doing that. Don't get discouraged.  Sometimes I will quit baiting for a few weeks and concentrate starting again the last couple weeks before end of season. There natural food should be in short supply.

Fishwidow, where you located?! Where are you hunting??
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Couple things to try is a bacon burn or a honey burn. That is kind of one of those last ditch efforts. Since you do have other bears on the bait try cutting back the food so the boar tries to get there before the sow and cubs. Sometimes that will work.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've heard that throwing a pack of strawberry jello into the air from your stand can bring them in during the day time.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup alot more to it than dumping a pilevof doughnuts in the woods. and yu have not patterned the bear, he  has patterned u! yu will never figure them out so dont try.  bear love consistency.  routine. they hate abrupt change. but subtle change thaybcan deal with. like a new bait. they get burnt out. just likebwee do. with the sow and cubs,  depending on size of boar she will defend a food source.  but a mature boar wil take it oveer and claim it. theres alot of season left. and natural foods have just now depleted.  of i were you id keep doing wat ur doing.forbthe nesxt week or so. the cooler it gets the need to feed is greater. causinng change in thier be havior.let that happen.tricks are a hail meery in my book. good luk
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Couple things to try is a bacon burn or a honey burn. That is kind of one of those last ditch efforts. Since you do have other bears on the bait try cutting back the food so the boar tries to get there before the sow and cubs. Sometimes that will work.

I tried this once about 20 years ago with a propane burner and a can. Almost burned the forest down!   :bonk: :bonk:  Be careful if you try it!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 09/16/20, 11:54:47 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I baited with a friend  as I have good private land access which had plenty of bear sign and not a fan of hunting bear over bait so I was a tag along,  bear  hit our bait every night between midnight and 2 am,so my friend who know's his bear/baiting said we need to bait later and later in the morning until daylight,worked like a charm,opening morning bait was still hanging not hit so buddy lit a can of sterno and placed a tin cup of jello water  to heat up to cover scent and attract,45 minutes later big boy down,hard to tell if his jello trick did the job or training the bear to come in later in the morning was the ticket as boars are known to travel up to 20 miles per night for food source,we also had a good crop of acorns that fall. hence bear sign/scat galore.

goodluck
« Last Edit: September 09/16/20, 12:36:23 PM by snow1 »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
a more safe measure than a burn would be to graba spray bottle ! fill it with liquid smoke and water and douse the area. when baiting prior to hunting  add some vanilla to.
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well this does really hurt to say this, but the boarski did tell me of a cool trick that worked good during baiting. I did change up done of the scents. If you use grease one of them super soakers work great for getting that scent way up in the trees. :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
He told me that too and it worked great.  Get the kind you can suck the juice into it not the kind where you pour it in.  Works great.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
rigjt thanks for the acknowledgement, but i primariy use that trik to open the site, once a bear finds it, he knows were its at. at this stage of the game i think hed benefit more from spraying any of the comericial scentsbor liquid smoke in abundance, cause the bear knows were the site is, he needs it to get off its ass and investigate a new yumm scent bedore sow an cubby get it.
78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Listen to Boar, he is the master. I learned alot of my tricks from him too. He is right that you have not patterned the bear yet. And sometimes them bigger boars just stay coming in after dark no matter what you do.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for all the input guys

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Both Leech.. and Snow1 gave the reason not to use a sterno to heat honey, jello or in my case bacon grease.  I set it in an open hay field near the bait.  Bear came sniffed it out and promptly knocked it over.  I watched the fire for a while and lucky for me it burnt out before I had to go put it out.  Never tried that again. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
As I was reading your response, DE, I was thinking... couldn't you make yourself a fire ring in anticipation of such a burn, but then I remembered, you can never trust what ol' Br'er Bear is goona do.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
He told me that too and it worked great.  Get the kind you can suck the juice into it not the kind where you pour it in.  Works great.
:scratch: I bought the one you fill up and worked good. I did have to run hot water threw it once however.

I agree with boar, GAWD this hurts, that's twice today. :banghead: :taz: :taz: but changing scents does make a difference.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i have used burns and have had them work, a few things always seem to factor towards the negative. 1. more equipment to bring in an mess with. 2 if yu havent burned dow the woods. yu need to retrieve the burner, thus having to handle hot things in the dark. 3 retrieving said items brings yu n
back to bait site near or after dark and risk bumping bear that hold up jus shy of the site. which they usually are.
1 positive. if you do a burn, pprep a 2 to 3 ft diameter circl clear of forest litter. if yu have a steel berrel place it on top. i also used two tea candles for jackolanterns. they produce enough heat to warm bacon or wat ever. an extinguish easily if bear knocks it over. never use sterno that stuf dosent extinguish till its burnt out.  the safest and easiest is to spray scent. also if a bear is coming in at night after yuve hunted. he general has yu pegged. knows were yu are in stand. ive combated this by place a sexond stand at site to sit in if i feel he knows were i am. good luxk
« Last Edit: September 09/16/20, 08:28:59 PM by Boar »
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Boar,
Now that's a real sneaky one for sure.  Never thought of that. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman

Fishwidow, where you located?! Where are you hunting??
[/quote]
Glenn, sorry for the late reply. I’ve been out and about and am just catching up. I’m east of Marcel over toward Wabana.  I do not hunt bears. No particular reason, I’ve just never done it.  More into grouse and pheasants and deer. I’ve hunted and trapped other critters, but I am not into dragging large critters through the brush these days.  There seem to be more of them around though. I had bird feeders torn down in my yard a couple months ago and neighbors seeing several within a few hundred yards of my house.  The only one I personally saw was 10-15 miles south of Rapids standing on somebody’s front porch.  My son lives in western Wisconsin, and he has texted pictures of four generations, the last one being a big ass boar with what appears to be a scar on his hip. I also saw a good sized one in East Bethel a couple months ago. Good luck to anyone going after them.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Fishwidow. Ya know now that you mention it I think you told me this already. :confused: :doofus: our cabin is 7 miles west of Talmoon over by spring lake. I take 48 to grand rapids once in a while.