Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Knee surgery  (Read 2035 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
In 07 I tore my meniscus in my knee at work.  It has steadily gotten worse over the last 3 years.  A month ago it started clicking on every step and hurt very badly whenever I went down stairs.  I got an MRI last week and my meniscus is very thin and torn in several places.  I meet my surgeon Thursday.  I might need a partial knee replacement. I'm hoping to either get it done asap or wait until after deer hunting.   I haven't missed a deer opener, let alone the entire season in over 40 years.  Anybody ever get their knee replaced and if so how lone before you are good enough to go deer hunting?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
My wife had both her knees fully replaced. She was out 6 weeks. Not real sure about a partial  :scratch: BUT do the therapy religiously afterwards.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I guess you will have to just suck it up and sit in the back of a pickup bed and be hauled out to a hunting location.  Good luck with the surgery. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
dakids, I had TKR a year and a half age. Took me about one year to totally heal, and that is after therapy. I know a lot of people hate therapy, and don’t always go, but getting you range of motion back is very important, or you could end up with a limp. Like you, I tore my meniscus long before my TKR, had arthroscopic surgery and was fine for a few years. Then one day I was shoveling snow and I dropped to the ground in excruciating pain. Went to TCO emergency and was told my knee was shot. It’s no fun at first, but well worth it in the long run.
When I was in the hospital after surgery, there was a lady there that  just had total hip replacement. I said to her, wow that must an awful procedure and recovery? To my surprise she said the TKR is worse. Good luck, and be careful until you have your procedure.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
From what I know, I would avoid or put off as long as possible knee replacements.  I know three people that had the replacement, recovered ok only to fall victim to an infection that at a minimum required opening the knee, washing it out with antibiotics and months of high antibiotic doses, to removing the knee, waiting months for all the infection to clear and then getting another replacement.  Apparently bacteria collects on the metal parts and because there is no bloods flow, it is very difficult to control.  Not to scare you or anything. 

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys.  After my 1st surgery 13 years ago, whitch was 3 weeks before the season and still made it out and shot my biggest buck ever.   I will see the surgeon Thursday.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My dad just had his other knee replaced last thursday.  Everything seems to be good so far.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i knew a guy that had both legs replaced, his right arm, and the right side of his  face replaced with the latest tenology. he recoverd great and went on to do work for the CIA.........Wait....... never mind..... good luck jerry!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The people I know that had their knee replacements wish they would have done it sooner.  One friend did have that infection.  The rest went smoothly. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck and it will be good for ya!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Met the surgeon and he said we should put off knee replacement for a few more years.  Suggested just doing arthroscopic surgery and fix the torn meniscus.

I have to meet the insurance companies Dr to get the ok for surgery.  October 12.   Hoping to have surgery 3 week of November.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good for you.  Sounds like a good plan. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like a good plan!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
From what I know, I would avoid or put off as long as possible knee replacements.  I know three people that had the replacement, recovered ok only to fall victim to an infection that at a minimum required opening the knee, washing it out with antibiotics and months of high antibiotic doses, to removing the knee, waiting months for all the infection to clear and then getting another replacement.  Apparently bacteria collects on the metal parts and because there is no bloods flow, it is very difficult to control.  Not to scare you or anything.

On the contrary, the people I know that have had total knee replacements and done the therapy have not had any problems.    Including wife having  two.    Took maybe 6 months to be back to better than before.    Life changing.   

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
delcecchi, I'm glad things are going well for you.   

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks.  My knees OEM are great.  It is the rest of me that is deteriorating...