Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: sous vide cooking  (Read 15475 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
for me mostly thickness of the meat and of course quality of the meat, a tough cut would be longer...  the longest I did was 30 hours on a beef roast that turned out great...  shortest was 2 hours for chops and chicken breasts... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
for me mostly thickness of the meat and of course quality of the meat, a tough cut would be longer...  the longest I did was 30 hours on a beef roast that turned out great...  shortest was 2 hours for chops and chicken breasts...
Wait. You spent the time and energy to boil a piece of meat for 30 hours?  :shocked: What was it Rino roast? 😆
« Last Edit: January 01/28/21, 09:52:27 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
naw water buffalo!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I just did some Carnitas for almost 24 hours.     Doesn't use that much electricity, especially if you use a cooler.   And time doesn't matter while in Covid Jail.   The Covid Winter in Rochester.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHon8E0H9B8

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
did a corned beef with the sous vide and sliced it a little while ago.. tried that instead of the boiling method..  came out good!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
did a corned beef with the sous vide and sliced it a little while ago.. tried that instead of the boiling method..  came out good!!
:surrender: :scratch: not that I really care but how do you do the souzy boily thing without boiling it? :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."

I always use a crock pot to make Corned Beef for Rubens. Put in the fridge over night and slice very thin on a meat slicer. Works better than boiling or baking.
« Last Edit: March 03/16/21, 11:23:20 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:surrender: :scratch: not that I really care but how do you do the souzy boily thing without boiling it? :scratch:

the meat is in the bag so it's not touching the water vs boiling in the water..  Ken's thoughts are good too, but I'm going to put the next one on the smoker...

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Corn beef....forgot its st patties day tomorrow,nice jewish deli in st paul has the best corn beef...regular.lean or blessed(kosher),your pick,home made selection of rye bread,horseradish white cheese makes it all worth while

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
If you smoke a corned beef, it isn't corned beef anymore. It is pastrami. I do both to have 2 different flavors.

My wife likes the regular Rueben. I like the pastrami and Swiss Cheese on Rye.
« Last Edit: March 03/16/21, 06:52:02 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
If you smoke a corned beef, it isn't corned beef anymore. It is pastrami. I do both to have 2 different flavors.

yes that is right.. and after eating some of the cored beef a bit ago I think the flavor is stronger this way... and I like pastrami too!!!  good eats!!!   and I like think we are thinking alike!!! 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have baked them, crock potted them and simmered them on the stove top and smoked them.  They are all good. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seeing that's it's so darn cold going to do a few chicken thighs sous vide tomorrow, smokey mesquite seasoned!!!   :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds fun Mike.