Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hearing protection~  (Read 1099 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
So all you fellers shooting thunder sticks for year's how is your hearing these day's? any of you have tinnitus?

How many of you use hearing protection? for shooting,power equipment,lawn mower's etc?

What kind of hearing protection do ya use?

My old age and slight tinnitus really wish I would'nt have taken hearing well for granted.

Curious what precautions others take if any.

You young guyz be mindful of your good hearing.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I cant pass a dot hearing test anymore, only 1 ear has to pass, but i recently blew my right ear out, and my left has been blown out for years
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I started wearing ear muffs whilst I mow and when I use the wood splitter now.  It does make it more comfortable too.  Wish I had done it years earlier too.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
my ears ring all the time, goes back to the service and I'm sure smoke pole shooting too..  yea never covered my ears back then and not so much now either I guess.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
For the past 25 years or so I have always worn ear muffs when using power equipment such as lawn mower, snow blower, or chain saw. I use them while target shooting but not while hunting. Any hearing damage was probably done 50 years ago when I worked on Navy computer systems. At the time they were powered by 400 cycle generators. For security the were located in the same lead lined rooms as the computer equipment. At first it took only a few hours after leaving the room for my hearing to return to normal. By the time I left the base 3.5 years later it took over a full day.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Never wore hearing protection when shooting. I regret that, now.
I often worked in noisey places. Hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, steel toed shoes required.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I seem to recall that there was growing support for making it easier to get and use suppressors as a safety measure to protect shooter's hearing.  That was in 2017 and then the Las Vegas mass shooting occurred and put an end to any of that.

A similar act was introduced this year, but as you might imagine, it lacks bi-partisan support.

H.R.95 - Hearing Protection Act

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I work in a manufacturing environment, and always have ear protection (ear plugs) in.

At the shooting range, I wear ear muffs all the time.

But, when hunting....I wear none  :scratch:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!