Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dang bugs  (Read 5002 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Anyone else starting to see them friggin asian beetles and box elder bugs. :confused: :angry2: both showed up here today.

I gotz bug juice to fix them little bass turds!! :smoking: :sleazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
do yu ever stop whinning....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
do yu ever stop whinning....
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :evil:

Not if it's gonna keep bothering you. :sleazy: :mooning: :evil: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yuppers glenn the move into our houses is underway. Noticed a lot of their larvae in the corn feeding on aphids while we were doing yield checks a few weeks back. Was almost positive it wouldn't be pretty once they ran out of aphids to feed on. Looks like we were right. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Lots of picnic beetles in my raspberries. Trowing to many away.

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup,jap beetles started showing up in july this summer at my place,neighbor has traps out,every week he dumps out a couple dozen but not as bad a 2 years ago when he would fill a 5 gal bucket 1/2 full every week,whatever bait he uses drew them critters from my yard to his traps.

lately I have hoards of flying ants pouring out of the ground at my place,(sandy soil),burrow holes everywhere,been using charcoal fluid to fix the issue.

and yes,dang boxelder bugs yesterday as well.plan to mix up a batch of soapy water in sprayer tonight,hope it works,creepy crawlers,at least they don't bite.

Jap beetle trap that works well~

« Last Edit: September 09/23/20, 10:47:04 AM by snow1 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We got a crap load of those Asian lady beetles. Gotta make a trap for those....them little suckers bite too....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I ordered this today, it has high ratings.
It's supposed to keep killing for awhile after applied.... we'll see...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Contains deltamethrin, one of the newer generation synthetic pyrethroids. It appears to be targeted largely at the home use market although it is also being used to treat stored grain for insects with the loss of products like Dursban. Much of what we're applying for insecticide in crops is moving away from synthetic pyrethroids due to insects developing resistance and the products are generally tough on beneficial insects such as ladybeetles. Should do a bang up job on them.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well gave dawn soapy water a whirl last evening,if nothing else I cleaned my siding up,this morning before work,checked things out,no elder bugs were present,could be they were hunkered down in this rain.

Thanx for sharing HD if my critters come back I'll order your product up,thanx!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Years ago we bought an old house with limestone foundation.  It was full of boxelder bugs in the fall.  I mean thousands.  Couldn't see the rock.  I heard about the soap thing and mixed up a real strong Dawn and warm water mixture and splashed it all over on the limestone.  Worked great.  Had to do just a little the next year and never saw them again. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed LPS soapy water worked great,siding looks new again as well,sat out in my man cave smokin a cigar last night no issies,just a few stragglers.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Boxelder bugs are the absolute wimps of the insect world. Think you could fart & kill them. Here they're cyclical, tending to be worse in drier seasons. They were gawd awful in the drought of '88. Got into everything. Would wake up & they'd be crawling on you at nite. We replaced our furnace in '98. The blower fan had a lot more umph than the old one did. The 1st time we started it up, 100's of dead boxelder bug carcasses blew out of all the vents. Gift that keeps on giving. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
They've been around but not to bad yet. I usually take the trusty fly swatter after them each nite.

Of course now a cooler of beer and I'll have all day. If they get worse the chemical comes out.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I tell ya what.... this stuff kicks the crap outa dem chinese lady beetles!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's impressive!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Tempo or Talstar works wonders on them too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Tempo or Talstar works wonders on them too.

tempo is what I use!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Damn  they reappeared last evening,elders with a handful asian beetles but not the japs...my small 1 gallon sprayer was 1/2 full of a bleech mixture I used to white wash my patio,so I unloaded the remaining liquid on my critters,seemed to work well,100's came out from under my siding when I sprayed the foundation,strong bleech smell made my eyes water and did a number on the elder bugs.
« Last Edit: October 10/08/20, 11:52:00 AM by snow1 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i have some but not to bad........not enough to get the juice out........kill a bunch with the old fly swatter when i go out. i still got the bug juice handy though!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Tempo is good stuff too. It's the same active ingredient as in Baythroid which wasn't a big seller in the ag market but suddenly found a niche in the household market for killing ladybugs. Have not seen any boxelder bugs here, yet. Plenty of multi-colored Asian lady beetles tho. With the corn starting to come off, aphid populations dwindling in the corn and warm temps on the way for tomorrow, suspect they'll be on the warpath.  :sad:   

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Tempo is good for spying the buildings too to keep the spiders off.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Tempo is good for spying the buildings too to keep the spiders off.

that's what we used it for when we first started using it, the side bonus was getting rid of the rest!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: why kill spiders??? :scratch: :doah: they eat other bugs, like flies!!! :confused: :surrender:

I have pet spiders!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
just want to keep all the cob webs off of the buildings. Seems they are worse by the lake.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just want to keep all the cob webs off of the buildings. Seems they are worse by the lake.

the house can change color almost because of all the spider webs!!  that's the only reason for me too..

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I hate spiders,the big hairy ones bother me,gal at work got bit by a brown recluse last summer almost lost here leg from flesh eating venom.this happened near hayward wisc sitting out on a deck which is unususl for this spider as they often found in southern states,same lady's dog got bit by a rattler two summer's ago walking along the st croix river near hudson so must be her luck attracting the nasties

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I’ve met two people that were bitten by brown recluse spiders. One was a casual acquaintance that told me he had been bitten and spent time in a hospital. It was either Ohio or Kentucky. The other is the daughter of a neighbor who lives in. California. She was moving firewood when she was bitten. She had an inch or so of her finger amputated. I never used to wear gloves, but after that and the Minnesota  guy who died of rabies after being bitten by a bat in his firewood a few years ago, I try not to handle firewood without gloves.
I also know a guy that was bitten by a cottonmouth in Arkansas. He spent a long time in the hospital and then on crutches for a few months.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed fwidow,read a story about a guy using a outhouse got bit in the arese by a recluse,he died later that day,another guy moving dead tree's was bit by a recluse,almost lost his arm as the doc couldn't stop the venom eating his flesh away,but most often this critter is found in southern climates,but not in north central u.s.a. but things are changing,deer ticks abound statewide these days,timber rattlers found all along the mississippi and st croix rivers up to hudson wisc.

buddy sent me this pic from se minnesota wilst camping along the whitewater river,timber rattler.

« Last Edit: October 10/12/20, 10:30:48 AM by snow1 »