Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: world series 2020  (Read 4785 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anybody watching or paying attention to the series??????

watched parts of game 1 and most of game 2, some pretty good baseball. the 2 teams with the best record...........and alot of home runs.

no game tonight  :confused: so its either the debate, hallmark channel with the wife  :puke: or the football game between the eagles and giants.  :pouty: :pouty: hallmark channel has a chance!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't watched a minute of it.  I should.  Thanks for the TV info.  I will watch the debate for a few laughs then football. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
No tv up here yet so i've been following it online somewhat. Read the stories in The Athletic every morning.

Not rooting for either team although it wouldn't hurt my feelings none to see the Dodgers fall flat again.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Yup, pullin for TB. The football game actually turned out to be a good 1.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone watch that game last night. WOW doesnt even cover it. that was the craziest ending and baseball game i've ever seen i think.

a walk off win for TB on the most bizarre play ever.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
saw the replay and they gave it away...  on purpose??? 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone watch that game last night. WOW doesnt even cover it. that was the craziest ending and baseball game i've ever seen i think.

a walk off win for TB on the most bizarre play ever.
That was a  :crazy: play at the end & actually the way 1 or both teams scored almost every inning made it a fun game to watch.  :happy1: :cool:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
use to be a fan,didn't know the series was happening,Been saddle up western nights at my house these days.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I really enjoy playoff baseball - especially the World Series.  Every at-bat, every-pitch, every lineup card move matters, and the commentators usually do a pretty good job of explaining everything to a guy like me, who doesn't understand all the ins and outs of the strategy.

And then when you get a finish like you had the other night, that is the icing on the cake.  Especially if the Ray's win the series, you will never forget that play...  right up there with Pucket's game 6 walk-off homer or the ball getting between Buckner's legs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i missed last nights game but seen the dodgers won. the football game was pretty darn good and glad Arizona won. i'm a huge Larry Fitsgerald fan!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Big rarity in last nights game. A attempted steal of home. (failed) They said on the radio the last attempt in a World Series was 65 years ago. That makes it 1955.  Very good idea with all the shifts and crap going on these days.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
definetly tuning in tonights game. should be a goody. LA trying to close it out and TB trying to go to game 7.

this Snell guy is pitching. i watched him the last time he pitched.........hes got some wicked pitches.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Good game, not much of a Dodger fan though so I was hopin for a game 7 tonight. :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i really didnt care who won the series. but that TB manager pulled a boneheaded move taking that snell out when he did. that guys had the dodgers hitters at his mercy. dumb dumb. :tut: :doofus:

over on IDO there was a conversation about how some of these managers make desicions on statistics, senerios  :blablabla: :blablabla:. sure as hell burnt TB!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
TB was the 1st team to do all the weird shifts, openers for bullpen games, closers comin in during the 5th-6th inning.. That was Snell's longest outing of the year far & away but almost all the postgame chatter was saying he should've been allowed to stay in. Seen Cash's interview after the game & he said in hindsight he wishes he had let him go longer. :scratch: :doah:
« Last Edit: October 10/28/20, 09:59:23 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea snell was none to happy about getting yanked. that'll learn them!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Smoltz even said that their startegy, it's called sabermetrics, has been proven to work during the regular season but probably wasn't the best for a short series against a hot, loaded team like the Dodgers.
« Last Edit: October 10/28/20, 09:49:32 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Smoltz even said that their startegy, it's called sabermetrics, has been proven to work during the regular season but probably wasn't the best for a short series against a hot, loaded team like the Dodgers.

TB was the 1st team to do all the weird shifts, openers for bullpen games, closers comin in during the 5th-6th inning.. That was Snell's longest outing of the year far & away but almost all the postgame chatter was saying he should've been allowed to stay in. Seen Cash's interview after the game & he said in hindsight he wishes he had let him go longer. :scratch: :doah:

Hall of Famer, World Series Champion, Jack Morris isn't a fan. 

Sabermetrics might tell you something, but they become self-fulfilling prophesies.  Jack says if you never let a pitcher pitch thru the order 3 times, they never learn how to do it.  If you pull them every time they get in a jam, they never learn how to work out of it.

Yes, those numbers games might get you a few more W's in the regular season, but the pitchers never gain the experience they need to step up in the play-offs.

I wonder how many pitchers' success is limited because they don't get the chance to fail.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Two WS in 12 years for a team that perpetually spends ~ 20% of what the Yankees, Dodgers spend, so to some degree it has been a success for them. :scratch: Joe Madden was 1 of the 1st managers to be a big believer & I think he was in TB in '08 when they 1st went to the WS using that startegy. TB payroll this season was $28.3 mil ahead of only Orioles & Pirates, Dodger's was $107.9 behind only you know who. I'm not a big fan of it either but now almost every team uses it to some degree because of the success TB has had. Some of it has to do with TB's inability to draw many fans, < 15,000/game in 2019 :crazy:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I get it that there is a place for "Moneyball" in base ball.

I think it was Jack's opinion - and others - that SyberMetrics is turning pitchers into specialized snowflakes who aren't as good as they could be because managers are afraid to give them the latitude to fail and grow.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I've heard Kaat say pretty much the same thing on some of the games he covers for Fox. I don't believe Bert's a big fan either as are many of the other HOF pitchers that routinely pitched 250 innings a year probably. 
« Last Edit: October 10/29/20, 03:24:44 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
It will be interesting to see how they pay pitchers in the future. Starters no longer get wins. 20 game winners will be a thing of the past. The geeks say ERA doesn't matter. Innings pitched.......lets see, 4 per start x 30 starts a year. 120 innings will make you a workhorse. Far cry from the 300 inning mark that was the gold standard in decades past. For a old retired guy the state of baseball today is very sad for me.  :sad: