Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 6979 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have the opportunity to purchase a new build AR-15, .223 for a grand.....is it worth it?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
buying guns is always worth it.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Wouldn't be to me but it's your cash!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Depends on what it is. I only gave $500 for my DPMS
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
What he said. All depends on what it is.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
He said $700 for the gun and $300 for the scope...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
300 might be high for that Nikon scope, but that should be easy to double check if you know the model.

As for what 'AR build' means, I couldn't say.  I know you can add quality parts and accessories and spend as much money as you like to build an AR, but that looks to me to be a pretty basic rifle without a lot of bling.  'Course it is a seller's market right now.

If you buy it, have you got a source for ammo?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thats nice looking gun. what would you use it for???

my kid had a friend that deer hunted with us that used an AR, he shot up a buck but never killed it. my brother shot it later with his 30-06. not impressed, i'm sure shot placement is key, but hey its your money and your decision.

like i said earlier i wouldnt buy one but my opinion.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Home defense?,you need a 30rd clip for starters then a few more for back up and a couple 1000 rds of .223 ammo if you can find it,trijicon with a 8" reticle red-dot.would be a better setup imo . But hey you can always upgrade stuff.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Home defense?,you need a 30rd clip for starters then a few more for back up and a couple 1000 rds of .223 ammo if you can find it,trijicon with a 8" reticle red-dot.would be a better setup imo . But hey you can always upgrade stuff.
:scratch: i have never ever in my 63 years on this earth ever remotely close got into a situation where i felt i needed a gun or weapon for home defense, or out and about in public, or in the woods for that matter either.

i looked at maybe getting a pistol but nixed that idea for the same reason. youz guyz must live in tough neighborhoods?????????

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just google it AR means Armalite the company that start making them in the 50's.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nope, I don't need a 30 round mag.

It's going to be used for coyotes. I will be mounting a night vision scope adapter on it, and a bipod.

At the moment, I'm sitting on 2 ice cream buckets of .223....so I'm good for now.  ;)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It has a DPMS lower, but the receiver had been upgraded to a Anderson upper. It also has some trigger upgrades done. Most AR's have a short barrel at 16", this one has a 22"

I believe the gun itself is worth the price, the scope....not so much...

Looking online, the scope is worth about $285

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And it is used.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
It would be a nice addition to the collection im sure, but that's alot of money spent on coyotes.  But like the others said your call..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It would be a nice addition to the collection im sure, but that's alot of money spent on coyotes.  But like the others said your call..
i worked with 2 guys that spent more then that on guns to go out to north dakota prairie dog shootin. :crazy: :doofus: at least HD will be shootin yotes that create issues with real game critters!!!!!

but i agree if your into guns....nice addition to the collection.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Here's an update on the AR.....
New stocks are installed, and a scope has been ordered.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good looking gun.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very cool HD!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
very nice looking!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I couldn't find Glenn's scope thread (probably in the catsup lovers forum)

Anyways, I took the gun out last night just to tinker with it. 8 inch target 🎯 at 💯 yards, I'm on the paper.
I'll drop it in the lead sled today and dial it in.
So far I'm very impressed with the scope. Instead of having the extra dots in the cross hairs, it has an adjustment on the recticle out to 800 plus yards. It's the Vortex crossfire 2 Hog Hunter 3X12X56. I have several Leopold scopes, and I think I like this one better. And at $299, I think it was a good buy. We'll see.....
« Last Edit: January 01/09/21, 07:41:41 AM by HD »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nice grouping over all!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's in the hunting gear thread HD!!!😂

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HD, you may have mentioned it before but where did you purchase the scope?? When I looked at Scheels a while back there inventory was low. Just wondering if some of these places are starting to get more inventory back in stock??

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
A little better grouping this morning... I'm close...
Glenn, I bought it off Amazon. But, I knew what I was looking for. Tons of junk scopes on there... don't get sucked in.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: thanks HD. Yea I haven't braved the Amazon thing yet. Just starting to think about other types of online ordering. :coffee:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Geez??? Give the neighbor kid $20 to take the TV and them give him another $20 for dealing with your stuff, then give him another $20 so he will help your picture issues.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Geez??? Give the neighbor kid $20 to take the TV and them give him another $20 for dealing with your stuff, then give him another $20 so he will help your picture issues.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i got the picture thing figured out!!!! :happy1: my buddy boar helped me, so i let him fish by me for a day!!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: :happy1:

someone somewhere mentioned taking it apart piece by piece and just putting the pieces in my garbage.  :rotflmao: could save myself 15 bucks!!!!!! :rolleyes: