Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer hides  (Read 3661 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
deadeye and markn, you guys do alot of work with the MDHA and the deer hide program. maybe HD can add in since he's into cutting up and processing deer as to what he does with the hides after the fact.

it would be neat to know, because i dont know what happens to the hides after they are dropped off in the boxes and you salt them down, i knew that part. so my questions are

1) how much does the MDHA get per hide?
2) where are they shipped to???
3) what are those hides actually made into????

i reigiously donate any hide i can get my hands on to the cause!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Each year MDHA contracts with a fur buyer for the hides. Prices varied quite a bit over the past few years.  Most hides are shipped overseas (used to be China) for processing into leather which is then made into a variety of products.  Not long ago we were paid $10-$12 per hide. This year it's about half that.  Of course like a lot of things, there is a different price for "across the board salted" hides, "graded salted" hides, "across the board not salted and graded not salted so it's hard to give an exact answer as to what MDHA is paid.

Hides For Habitat
The Minnesota Deer Hunters Association’s Hides For Habitat Program Is A Recycling Program To Turn Donated Deer Hides Into Dollars To Be Used For Habitat. Local MDHA Chapters Place Hides Collection Boxes Throughout Minnesota In The Fall. Hunters Like You, Place Their Deer Hides In MDHA’s Hide Boxes. These Donated Hides Are Sold To Fur Buyers And The Dollars Raised Are Used To Fund Various Habitat Projects In Your Local Area And Throughout Minnesota. Since 1985, MDHA’s Hides For Habitat Program Has Collected Over 900,000 Donated Deer Hides Raising Nearly $5.5 Million Dollars. MDHA’s Accomplishments Are Possible Due To The Dedication To The Protection Of Minnesota’s Natural Resource By Chapter Volunteers, Members And Deer Hunters Who Participate In MDHA’s Hides For Habitat Donation Program.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
 Couldn’t have said it any better. Thanks deadeye. We the Alex chapter, use some of our hide money to send kids to Forkhorn camps and a bunch on high school a activities, trap archery and the like. Thanks for asking Glenn.
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sweet..thanks guys. :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great program!  Thanks for your participation you guys!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for your volunteer work boys!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
x3!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
glenn itd help if yu could ever donate one!! :rotflmao:
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
glenn itd help if yu could ever donate one!! :rotflmao:
:mooning: :mooning: I donate plenty!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting,never gave the drop boxes a thought since I no longer hunt deer,but thanx deadeye for the read. in my area I still see lazy ass guyz dropping carcusses along our country road this time of year,hides included,pisses me off but good to know plenty of ethical hunters around the state that take responsibilty to do the right thing.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
deadeye and markn, you guys do alot of work with the MDHA and the deer hide program. maybe HD can add in since he's into cutting up and processing deer as to what he does with the hides after the fact.

it would be neat to know, because i dont know what happens to the hides after they are dropped off in the boxes and you salt them down, i knew that part. so my questions are

1) how much does the MDHA get per hide?
2) where are they shipped to???
3) what are those hides actually made into????

i reigiously donate any hide i can get my hands on to the cause!!!!!

All our hides are bought, we have a fur buyer come and pick them up.
BUT, we have a MDHA box for those hunters that choose to donate their hides across the road. 👍
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for allowing an MDHA box at your location HD. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
we got boxes round here over flowing with hides all over the ground
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen that here too yesterday...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
MDHA boxes mike?
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yesterday when i went to richmond where my mom lives to get my snowmobile i noticed a hide box but i didnt see the MDHA on it????????

i know there are other entities that do this thats not MDHA, but this one was orange???? does the MDHA have this orange trademarked???? i/m not a fan of copycats and think this shouldnt be allowed. :doah: :scratch:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
MDHA boxes mike?

not sure it was in Long Prairie at Fleet...  I'll look today... 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Unfortunately some hide buyers chose to paint their boxes orange just like the ones MDHA uses in an effort to dup people into "donating" their hides when in fact they are NOT going to MDHA. :angry2:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
So based on all the chatter here on deer hides,looks like our whitetail deer harvest this season was a banner event,well for most,we all know who struggled but he gave it a go...

Have not herd much about CWD this season? all gone?

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow, I think the harvest is about the same as last year maybe less. The higher number of hides I think is due to the meat markets not taking deer this year due to covid and hunters doing their own processing. I did read in the paper this morning there was two confirmed cases of cwd in se Minnesota. One was a harvested buck and the second was a road killed doe.
mm

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We have the DNR stop by at a regular basis, and they say that the deer harvest is at a 22% decline from last year going buy the deer registered.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We have the DNR stop by at a regular basis, and they say that the deer harvest is at a 22% decline from last year going buy the deer registered.
  i kinda thought that might be the case??? didnt seem like the normal amount of shooting. :scratch: driving home i seen 1 vehicle with a deer in it but i didnt go home after the first weekend either, drove home the monday after the 2nd weekend so i didnt expect to see much.

usually that locker plant in Emily is full of vehicles with deer. didnt see any but they had like 6 of those frigerated semi trailers parked there????????

it would be real interesting to see some kind of chart ot stats of the deer harvest in different parts of the state??

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We just picked up and salted 150 hides today. We have not collected more hides than any previous year and the rifle season isn't over yet.  Also, the muzzle loader season hasn't started. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen that pile in Long Prairie again, only bigger...  yellow boxes      sad waste I'm thinking... 

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Managed to get another 110 in the trailer. We'll do another collection tomorrow and the truck should be back again on Tuesday. I have no idea who has those yellow boxes mike.  :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yea I didn't pull in there to see whose they are, but I sure wonder... 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Maybe it's time to stop in and inquire about putting an MDHA  box there next year. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Jerry Carlson, an outdoor writer for the st cloud times had an article in today's paper said it was down 22%, stil either way alot of deer. pretty sure the weather had alot to do with it!!!!!

more deers for next year as long as mother nature behaves!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think the lack of butchers in some areas affected it too. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Jerry Carlson, an outdoor writer for the st cloud times had an article in today's paper said it was down 22%, stil either way alot of deer. pretty sure the weather had alot to do with it!!!!!

more deers for next year as long as mother nature behaves!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Da....I told ya.....  :banghead: