Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ice augers~  (Read 6100 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Curious,any of you guys make the switch from gas to electric?

On the fence after my first go with a crew using the ion few years back,we were  on lake michigan 40's of ice that darn ion would bog down about half way thru,we had to scoop out the shavings to continue but today I'm hering good things about the new stike master 40v auger,lots of torq,quiet  for $499 not sure,anyone jump on one yet?

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I made the switch to the Ion 3 years ago. I got the 10" and it will bog down when the ice is thicker. Just need to pull it out as you go a few times. I think the new gen 2 is geared a little lower after watching my brother in law use his. My kid bought the strikemaster the same year I bought my Ion. His is definitely stronger. But the strikemaster sucks for reopening holes in a permanent house. That is why I went with the Ion. I do love it though, just wish it was geared a little lower for the 10".
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i have the ion!  a 8 and 10 inch bit. love it i only deill 4 to 6 holes each time i go. the 10 handles that fine. ifbyour hole hopin id go standard gas or propane. propane ya keep bottle warm if yu out in -temps. warm as in yur truck or coat
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanx for the imput,I run n gun thru out the day rather than sit and wait/hope for the best I'll pop 50 to 100 holes looking for fish unless on clear ice I can read thru with my vex or hand held unit  working structure for walleyes,like the idea of not messing with fuel leaking from transportation across the lake bouncing around in my flip over sled behind my wheeler but concerned about battery life and torq for thick ice,been spending most of my days ice fishing in south dakota lately,dang wind blowin top soil is a bitch on lazer blades,often trash out blades on every trip,some claim its easy to sharpen dull lazer blades but I beg to differ even with gary roaches lazer sharpener,but maybe like a chain saw you never get the chain as sharp as when new.strike master gives you two batteries with purchase so thats a plus as the 40v battery is $100 alone,strike master also has a 50v battery for the 10 auger but 8" is plenty for me,hell my first lazer had 6" fliting caught bookoo fish thu the 6" hole but also lost a bunch trying to get the head turned up the hole or the treble hooks snaging the ice as the fish came up.
« Last Edit: February 02/02/21, 09:11:13 AM by snow1 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I took my 8 inch Lazer bit off of my gas power head, bought a clam plate and a Milwaukee hammer drill. We were on 18" of ice last weekend and drilled 25 holes on one battery before it started to quit. I had an extra battery with, and drilled another 20 without missing a beat.

My son-in-law has the 40v strikemaster, and he likes it. It's a little slower than my Lazer, but gets the job done.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
when we where up on red with the boarski, the kis i was with had one of them things, powered by a dewalt cordless. gotta say i was impressed with the way it worked, but i aint giving up my gas powered jiffy legend anytime soon.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Esklmo 8" gas here.
« Last Edit: February 02/02/21, 10:58:07 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL gunner,I can tell when someone shows up on the lake with a eskimo auger ,the sounds rumbles across the lake on a calm day the tell tail "pop pop pop" puter as they crank up.been a long time since I seen a eskimo auger,usually a jiffy or strikmaster these days or an occasioal K-drill,but hey whocares as long as it fires up and cuts.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
love the sound of the ol jiffys! pap pap paplap!
78.50"

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL gunner,I can tell when someone shows up on the lake with a eskimo auger ,the sounds rumbles across the lake on a calm day the tell tail "pop pop pop" puter as they crank up.been a long time since I seen a eskimo auger,usually a jiffy or strikmaster these days or an occasioal K-drill,but hey whocares as long as it fires up and cuts.
:happy1: Price was right as we got it on a end of season closeout, had it 4 years & it's still like new. Bet there's < 50 holes on it. :crazy:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I've never been one to follow the latest fads
 I got two Jiffy's and one Strikemaster that do everything I need. If I ever get a hard sided fishhouse I might think about an electric one.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It got a workout yday ;), think :scratch: it might've drilled 8 holes.   :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: A lot faster than the Ion we used last weekend in the neighbors wheelhouse too. :happy1: :cool:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 Did you need a nap after that?? :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I use a Strike Master 40V 8 inch.  Replaced my old gas 7.25 inch because my fish kept getting caught in the hole. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ha yu guys are worried about how fast to open a hole wen u cant eve catch a fish...
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ha yu guys are worried about how fast to open a hole wen u cant eve catch a fish...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea well..........i've seen you in action, so................. not sure why you even need an auger!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yuve been peeking!!!!!
78.50"