Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: WI DNR New Wolf Season  (Read 7851 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:reporter; Wisconsin DNR Announces Wolf Season

Begins Nov. 6, 2021

Gray wolf in snow
Under Wisconsin law, when the wolf is delisted, the state's annual hunting and trapping seasons shall resume. Following federal delisting, the gray wolf season in Wisconsin will begin Nov. 6, 2021. Until the official season goes into effect, it remains unlawful to shoot a wolf unless there is an immediate threat to human safety. However, if on private land, you can shoot and kill wolves that are in the act of killing, wounding or biting a domestic animal. / Photo Credit: Wisconsin DNR

MADISON, Wis. � The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) today announced the official wolf season will begin Nov. 6, 2021.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will delist gray wolves from the federal list of endangered species on Jan. 4, 2021, returning management authority to the lower 48 states and tribes.

Under Wisconsin law, when the wolf is delisted, the state's annual hunting and trapping seasons shall resume.

The recovery of gray wolves is a triumph of the Endangered Species Act and stands as a testament to the cooperation of federal, state and tribal agencies, as well as other conservation partners working together to support wolf recovery. The most recent monitoring effort indicated a minimum of 1,034 wolves in Wisconsin, primarily across the northern third of the state and the Central Forest region.

The DNR has successfully managed gray wolves for decades and will continue to follow the science and laws that influence our management. All wolf management, including hunting and trapping, will be conducted in a transparent and deliberative process, in which public and tribal participation is encouraged.

Once wolves are removed from the federal list of endangered species, the DNR will work collaboratively and transparently to create a new wolf management plan to reflect our increased understanding of the biological and social issues relevant to wolf management. The new plan will ensure sustainable management of Wisconsin wolves for the future.

In addition, the DNR will also create a new Wolf Management Plan Committee, a group comprised of government agencies, non-governmental organizations, tribal interests and conservation perspectives representing diverse interests. 

The existing wolf management plan, originally approved in 1999, was reviewed and updated in 2007 and helped guide recovery efforts in the state.

Following delisting � and until the official season goes into effect � it remains unlawful to shoot a wolf unless there is an immediate threat to human safety. However, if on private land, you can shoot and kill wolves that are in the act of killing, wounding or biting a domestic animal.

Although gray wolf management will be under state authority in early 2021, implementing a wolf season requires adequate time not only to develop a science-based harvest quota but also to engage the public and tribal partners in the development of a season plan that adequately reflects the interests of diverse stakeholders throughout Wisconsin. As such, the DNR is focused on planning a wolf season that begins Nov. 6, 2021.

The federal delisting of wolves on Jan. 4, 2021, once again provides Wisconsin the ability to implement an integrated wolf conflict abatement program. Each instance of wolf conflict is unique, and the DNR works with the U.S. Department of Agriculture�s Wildlife Services to assess the best management approach on a case-by-case basis. Going forward, the department will be able to implement the most effective abatement measures as wolf conflicts arise, including both nonlethal and lethal options where necessary.

As a reminder, under Wisconsin law, when the wolf is delisted, the state's annual hunting and trapping seasons shall resume. In the meantime, the DNR will continue to partner with USDA-Wildlife Services to address wolf conflicts in Wisconsin.

If you suspect wolves in the depredation of livestock, pets or hunting dogs, or if wolves are exhibiting threatening or dangerous behavior, contact USDA-Wildlife Services staff immediately. If in northern Wisconsin, call 1-800-228-1368 or 715-369-5221; if in southern Wisconsin, call 1-800-433-0663 or 920-324-4514.
« Last Edit: December 12/05/20, 10:57:23 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i wonder what minnesota is going to do. i have heard are nit wit gov wont support a wolf season, more then likely because his Lt. Gov is native and about every critter is some form of a brother......................
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Well if we don't get a season we should all line up and drive some of those bas-reds over the river into Wisconsin for our Packer friend's!  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Good idea Leech!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

A little tidbit to ponder. In 2020 Minnesota has est, 3,150 Moose and dropping, and est 2,700 Wolves. The state of Maine on the other hand has est 75,000 Moose and 0 Wolves. In a whole state that would fit in most of our Arrowhead. Odd how that works?  :scratch:  :coffee:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Careful there Leech going and throwing facts around like that.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :confused: :doofus: so what's the sense in setting a quota, then closing the season before it's reached. :crazy: :crazy: :confused:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it says they only closed the southern part of the state when I read it... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :confused: :doofus: so what's the sense in setting a quota, then closing the season before it's reached. :crazy: :crazy: :confused:
Right. They should only sell enough tags to match the quota and let the season run its coarse. But just like here they can make more money that way by selling more tags.  :bs: :bs:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it says they only closed the southern part of the state when I read it...
Yea, I looked at the chart in your link. None of the zones there closing have reached the quota yet

I just looked again at it, maybe it had something to to do with the natives claiming whatever, but they ain't shooting any,  :doofus: I'd venture to bet.
« Last Edit: February 02/23/21, 01:05:03 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Right. They should only sell enough tags to match the quota and let the season run its coarse. But just like here they can make more money that way by selling more tags.  :bs: :bs:
I don't really have a problem with that, if there true intent is to manage the population, the DNR makes an extra buck, and you get more hunters out to reach the goal.

But the natives claiming a certain % of the population knowing full well they won't harvest any is kinda like the anti hunters buying an applying for permits knowing full well there actually not affording the real hunter that opportunity to get one

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember a few years back the red lake tribe had a problem with minn wolf hunt,they claimed sanctuary within they're rez borders just for the wolves...I think minn quota that year was 300 ...boy did the tree huggers get fired up on that deal.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
If the quota is half filled after one day...

Either you have too damn many wolves or your quota isn't big enough.  :doah:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't really have a problem with that, if there true intent is to manage the population, the DNR makes an extra buck, and you get more hunters out to reach the goal.

But the natives claiming a certain % of the population knowing full well they won't harvest any is kinda like the anti hunters buying an applying for permits knowing full well there actually not affording the real hunter that opportunity to get one

I wonder if the natives said they weren't gonna take any walleye from Mille Lacs but didn't give their quota to the state, would you complain?   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Irrelevant question. They take plenty walleyes.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

My only problem with the closing season when the quota is met is what happens to the person that gests a tag but can't hunt the first weekend or first couple days. They pretty much get shafted. Imagine if they did that for any other seasons. Deer, bear, fishing. Look how screwed up Millelacs is when they just shut the harvest down. And to Dels point I would be happy as Hell if the band took their half of the quota and didn't harvest.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Wisconsin wolf population on the rise

Wisconsin’s gray wolf population continues to climb. A Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources survey found the state’s wolf population grew 15% over the previous year. The overwinter wolf count rose from an estimated 914 to 978 wolves in the 2018-2019 count to an estimated 1,034 to 1,057 wolves in the 2019-2020 count. The number of packs rose from 243 to 256.

The population has steadily climbed from a low of 14 wolves (Canis lupus) in 1985. Along with their growing numbers have come growing complaints. During the latest survey period, the agency tallied 90 wolf complaints, up from fewer than 70 the previous year.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed jerkbait. Stop selling tickets if you don't have enough seats on the plane! If you buy a tag you should have a chance to hit the woods anytime during the stated season! 😠

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it depends on whether the DNR wants to be sure the full quota is taken and give more folks a chance, or whether they want the lucky ones to have the most relaxed experience.   

Especially in the case where the quota is low, then you have a problem with lotteries or whatever.   Like if the quota is 10 wolves, you want them to only sell 10 permits?    Or should they sell 50 or 100 and stop the hunt after the first 10 folks are successful?   

And yeah, if they sell more permits than the quota, if you snooze you lose.   But you know that going in.   

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
... But the natives claiming a certain % of the population knowing full well they won't harvest any is kinda like the anti hunters buying an applying for permits knowing full well there actually not affording the real hunter that opportunity to get one

Perhaps Native Americans should be allowed to keep or harvest as many wolves as they want on the reservation and leave the rest of state to be managed by the DNR and non-native Americans.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
... But the natives claiming a certain % of the population knowing full well they won't harvest any is kinda like the anti hunters buying an applying for permits knowing full well there actually not affording the real hunter that opportunity to get one

Perhaps Native Americans should be allowed to keep or harvest as many wolves as they want on the reservation and leave the rest of state to be managed by the DNR and non-native Americans.
  Wolves are sacred to most Indian Bands and seen as Brothers. They don't hunt them much, or at all.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Wolves are sacred to most Indian Bands and seen as Brothers. They don't hunt them much, or at all.
:happy1: :happy1: this along with the black bear. I can attest to that first hand. But they can pillage a bunch of other critters. :pouty:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

EXACTLY!  They can turn their lands into wolf preserves where they will be safe forever and there is no need for them to buy a wolf tag from the pale-faces at the DNR.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

My only problem with the closing season when the quota is met is what happens to the person that gests a tag but can't hunt the first weekend or first couple days. They pretty much get shafted. Imagine if they did that for any other seasons. Deer, bear, fishing. Look how screwed up Millelacs is when they just shut the harvest down. And to Dels point I would be happy as Hell if the band took their half of the quota and didn't harvest.

JB I sat in a round table meeting in isle minnesota with the objib local elder's/att'ies when your very comment came up,the answer with a smirk was "well we wouldn't be excercsing our rights",never had issues with our local natives harvesting,infact they have always harvested on mille lacs way before my time for culture teaching they're young and religous ceremony...no problem at all ,the issue is these 6 wisc tribes pilaging our lake every spring,video's we collected over the years show many tribal gill netters leaving public acceses w/o anyone keeping tabs.this pic was at one access at myr mar,no tribal or dnr folks monitoring the harvest on that morning,its impossible to really know how many walleye's they nett,not to mention all the dead walleye and other game fish that get caught/wasted in "ghost netts" from netter's gill netting before complete ice out,this kill isn't accounted in netters quota just us non natives.take a look at what one ghost nett looks like,this x10,12 netts we know about

I appoligize for the off topic rant,mille lacs is a sore spot.

« Last Edit: February 02/24/21, 12:08:44 PM by snow1 »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow. Yes I know the Mille lacs band would never take their full quota it was always the bands from Wisconsin that took theirs. My parents used to be a big part of the community in Garrison and dealt with the tribe on a regular basis when they had the shop in Garrison.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks, Bud Grant.   :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I dunno del if grant gets all the blame but agreed he didn't help when the supreme court voted it was 5/4 in favor of the natives with help from our commish at the time,sando I think? he lobbied in favor of the tribe,pretty sure he was compensated well as he left office shorty after,ended up in north dakota last I herd but grant rallied folks in the early 90's,went to a  protest at our state capitol that grant headed up 1991 maybe? so many folks from up north came,majority were resorters telling they're sad stories from LOW,winni of the damage on our walleye population brood stock that gill netting does.. that day of the protest grant was nose to nose with clyde. bellcourt in a heated rant,becourt had a couple of school buses with his supporters show up from mpls,tempers flared but kept peaceful, belcourt kept picking out pieces of the 1837 treaty(before minn was a state to fit his narative,grant blurted out at one point a excerpt from the treaty that "more than 3 natives together could be deemed a war party and shot on site",lots of hooting happened when that came out,one group from LOW pulled a old troller rig used to commerically fish LOW,with a nett drapped over the side,some had signs "save a walleye spear a indian" most of this never made the news but was eye opening,I believe grant truely felt the natives would lose in court it was a bad gamble hurt so many folks in that community still on going today we non natives have been taking it in the arse ever since.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, Bud wanted another bite at the apple after Wisconsin rulings so he came to Minnesota and blew up the negotiations where the DNR had a deal with the natives in the area.   They were going to pay them to not exercise their treaty rights.   

I never forgave him for that.  It was none of his dam business, since he lives in Wisconsin.