Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Winter logging updates  (Read 20102 times)

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Some of these loggers just want to cut trees and get out to save costs. Their not all that happy about spending time beautifying anyone's hunting land.   :bambi:  :deer: :undecided:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a BIG pile of logs.  And you still have trees left?   :confused:

Looking good.  Stay on 'em.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

deadeye is trying to help out  with the TP shortage!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :sleazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

deadeye is trying to help out  with the TP shortage!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :sleazy:
And I figured he got someone else to pay him for the privilege of cutting his new shooting lanes.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So far I'm pretty happy with what has been done. Leech~~ I am keeping a pretty close eye on how things are left. So far they have complied with all my requests. I've spoken with the loggers and they understand the need to end up with usable trails.  Yes some will be shooting lanes and others will be part of a new trail system.  They are going to use equipment to clear and level all skidder trails that we want to end up using. There will be scattered brush piles and some ruts.  I'm not too worried about them getting the logs out when it's frozen because they only have one slasher that is also used to load the trucks so they cannot move to another location until they load all the logs that are cut. 
Steve-o isn't too far off with the TP.  Some of the wood is being used for turkey bedding  :rotflmao:
We did make a dent in the woods but there's plenty left. We logged around 50 acres.
dakids, you will not be able to see the cut area from the "noisy oak" but you can see from the "baywatch" to the "ash clump" to the "cantilever".   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday they hauled the last loads and pulled out all the equipment.  I will post some pictures. Everything was fine until I mentioned that they did not clear one trail that the forester marked with me last Monday.  Not sure why but the guy went ballistic on me shouting in my face stuff that shocked and frightened me.  Then as he went to the skid steer told me I better not follow him or you never know what happens in the woods.  I was a bit in shock at his words, demeaner and actions so I retreated to my PU and left the area.  I contacted the forester I am using and he said he would come out.  He came with the logging company owner and ask my side of the story then left to meet the other guy.  No idea what happened after that as they were all gone when I left.  And how was your day!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow, that is kind of scary. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't pay the damn bill until the job is done-Right. That logger just been in the woods to long sniffing chainsaw fumes.  :bs:

Let us know if you find out what happed to the guy because he should have been caned or arrested on the spot!  :police:

Like I said before. Most of these guys want to cut, stack load and go. Their not all that excited about making anyone's hunting area pretty!    :angry:
« Last Edit: January 01/30/21, 12:55:01 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Leach~~,
Can you clarify what you mean by don't pay the bill.  I was kinda hoping they would pay me for the logs.  :confused:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Leach~~,
Can you clarify what you mean by don't pay the bill.  I was kinda hoping they would pay me for the logs.  :confused:
Bahah yeah your right. Anyway the guy should lose his job for saying some customer may have an accident in the woods!  :bs:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
At the very least either the guy who said that should have to give you a face to face apology or if he is fired his boss should.  They knew the job before this started.  Now is not the time to whine about it.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Might be good to know his name for future reference too!  And did they ever clear that path for you?
« Last Edit: January 01/31/21, 07:27:11 AM by LPS »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I spoke with the forester yesterday and again discussed what happened last Friday.  He was not involved in the conversations between the owner and the subject person.  I'm not sure what the guy did on the trail in question.  I plan to go out there tomorrow and check out the area.  Without more information and hearing his side of just what triggered the rage, I wouldn't feel right broadcasting the name.  And, other than that last few minutes I was happy with the people and what they did. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Kind of a sad note to end on deadeye. I wish you luck on resolving the trail matter. I've really enjoyed following your thread and seeing all the pics detailing the process. Have to wonder though what was going through that guy's head when he threatened you? Mental illness? Off his meds? If I ever found out an employee had threatened a customer like that regardless of their "justification", their employment would be terminated immediately. No place for that toxic behavior in a workplace environment regardless of the profession.  :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't mean broadcasting the name DE.  Just that you may want to know it for future reference. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Stuff like that is too scary and shouldn't happen.

I would hope they would correct the problem and give you the satisfaction of an explanation and apology.

Good luck.

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe a guy named Floyd would help.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is absolutely great Thanks.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so whick one of you guys up on the border called the cops on who first!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
On Monday I went with my brother to walk the areas that have been logged.  Good news is the guy that went ape $hit on me the other day did do a good job clearing the trails that they had previously agreed to do. I took a few pictures of the area flooded by a beaver dam that's about 50 yards from the swamp crossing the loggers made. This dam was built about 5-6 years ago and you can see the trees killed as a result of the beaver pond flooding. We did see active otter sign at the dam so that was nice. The deer continue to flood into the logged area browsing on aspen tree tops and branches.  It will be a big change but we hope to be part of that by making trails and planting selected areas with trees.  Over all I would say I'm ok with how the logging went. There was more collateral damage than I expected. Lots of 3-6 inch oak and ash were cut down or run over during felling and skidding trees.  I know it takes a lot of room to cut, bunch and skid out 60-70 foot trees but I think they did it the fastest and easiest way rather than trying to save oak and ash trees.  The area that contained almost entirely aspen should regen nicely which was the main reason to have it logged. It's just hard to see the change that occurred in such a short time. Lots of work to be done over the next few years to prevent the woods from overtaking the new trails.   

Dead timber result of expanding beaver pond.

They made this skid trail through a strip of woods to access their landing site. Made one hell of a shooting lane.

They made (by agreement) a huge slash pile near the landing.  This will make great habitat for years to come.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Quite a project DE.  Mother nature will blend it all together and maybe faster than one thinks. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Have you thought about planting clover down some of the trails in the spring. Good ground cover and feed. Can you burn the slash pile if you wanted to?
« Last Edit: February 02/03/21, 02:53:13 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last Saturday I went out for a "woods" fix. I had to go in with the wheeler as it was getting pretty squishy.  Not much snow around just on the north side of wood lines.  Things looked pretty good.  For those who are interested, If you include the payment I received from the logger who ended up not cutting the timber plus what I received from the logging this winter I received close to $625 per acre for the logs.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking good!  :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was curious as how much money that was worth.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It was at total of 367 cords or around 18 cords per acre average.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Here is what all the logged off land sill look like for the next several years.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.