Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Introducing Shadow!  (Read 85555 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
so don't go to cabin until he can go!!!  really simple answer!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:Clap: :Clap: Beat me to it , mike!  :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:                ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
so don't go to cabin until he can go!!!  really simple answer!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:mooning: :mooning: :mooning: haha. :tut: :tut: it's not gonna hurt momma and shadow to do a little bonding. :happy1: :happy1:
:scratch: There is 1 good thing I see coming out of this glenn. ;)  Momma might REALLY be glad to see you come home. :sleazy:                  :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:mooning: :mooning: :mooning: haha. :tut: :tut: it's not gonna hurt momma and shadow to do a little bonding. :happy1: :happy1:
:scratch: There is 1 good thing I see coming out of this glenn. ;)  Momma might REALLY be glad to see you come home. :sleazy:                  :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Yea there is that  :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They never gave Cooper pain pills and he had his eye operation at the same time.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dogs take after their owners!!!  just sayin!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dogs take after their owners!!!  just sayin!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
yea so what's your point????????/ :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
They never gave Cooper pain pills and he had his eye operation at the same time.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: from what i can gather reading the label on the pill bottle, it said vet prophein???? so i'm guessing it was the animal version of  this human ibeprofien>????????????

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
your dog is going to hooked on pain pills now!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ma and the dog snoozing!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Same position Cooper prefers now that he has gotten bigger.   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is so cool Glenn!   :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I must of tuckered him out yesterday. He's been a lap baby all day. Now he's feisty. :confused: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Poor boar jr...sitting on yur lap...
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Poor boar jr...sitting on yur lap...
:mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Shouldn't you be getting to bed for work tomorrow. :pouty: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/20/21, 07:12:03 PM by glenn57 »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
you boyz with your young terrorist pup's notice the shedding lately? good grief its every day at my place piles and piles of hair,found a couple hot spots on the boy wilst probing for ticks, hotspots are common with goldens,ran out of my ointment I usually have on hand "panolog" great cure all for hot spots and ear infection's my local vet won't give me a replacement tube unless we come in,two week wait in two weeks my boy would be a walking infection.any home remedies here?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
snow....explain this hotspot????? he has a pretty good looking coat now.........and no not much shedding!!!!!!! went through that earlier this year!!!! when i do notice shedding i'm after them daily with a brush.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Hot spots vary from animal to animal depending on skin sensitivity and allergies with your pup it is a bacteria skin infection common with golden retievers because of the're thick fur unlike a lab which hold's moisture,usually comes from lake algae on my pups unless I spray them down with clean city water/shampoo when we get home from the lake,if your pup's get it started by licking/scratching it turns red/raw,usually results in massive hair loss if infection is not treated and spreads quickly,if the spots get really bad pups will need antibiotics anti inflammatory meds in severe cases.,I had one case years ago with my boy before I knew what a hot spot was,he lost a softball size patch of hair off the side of his face,bloody raw,bad stuff,dogs with senitive skin will get this during summer months on they're legs inbetween they're toes any place they can lick,scratch and chew so be mindful on these hot summer days.

Further be mindful of your pup's ear's for infection again goldens thick fur around they're head area doesn't allow adequate ventilation to the ear canal causing ear issues/infection left untreated pup could lose hearing,telltale ear infection starts with extreme redness inside the ear channel,usually a brown smelly discharge as well,your vet will explain better if your pup get's either infection,on long hunting trips(days long) Ihave a k9  emergecy first aid kit just incase,including sutures and cat gut just incase my boy gets cut up in barb wire and various meds just in case.

scary with long hot summer weather is blue/green algae on small farm ponds/cattle stock ponds,pup's ingesting this poison can die in 30 minutes,not sure if they have a treatment today but several years ago wilst pheasant hunting in sodak,hot summer and fall weather the town of webster sodak claimed over 100 bird dogs parished opening weekend that year from blue/green algae as they (dogs)would cool down in stagnet water out in the field lapping it up.
« Last Edit: June 06/21/21, 11:42:37 AM by snow1 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hot spots vary from animal to animal depending on skin sensitivity and allergies with your pup it is a bacteria skin infection common with golden retievers because of the're thick fur which hold's moisture,usually comes from lake algae on my pups unless I spray them down with clean city water/shampoo when we get home from the lake,if your pup's get it started by licking/scratching it turns red/raw,usually results in massive hair loss if infection is not treated and spreads quickly,if the spots get really bad pups will need antibiotics anti inflammatory meds in severe cases.,I had one case years ago with my boy before I knew what a hot spot was,he lost a softball size patch of hair off the side of his face,bloody raw,bad stuff,dogs with senitive skin will get this during summer months on they're legs inbetween they're toes any place they can lick,scratch and chew so be mindful on these hot summer days.
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just tried to order another bag of Diamond Maintenance on Amazon and can't get any Diamond foods now.  Says deliver in one or two months.  Amazon has their own brand that has the same ingredients and is quite a bit cheaper.  Compares to Blue Diamond food it says.  I just ordered 3 30 lb bags since it is Amazon Prime days.  Saved $14 a bag.  Normally $37 for a 30 lb bag.  Now $23 a bag.  Will have to blend that in now. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We also jumped on the prime deal going on. Snow, when I look at a litter of pups if mom has any signs of allergies we leave. No dogs here with all the problems yours has..
« Last Edit: June 06/21/21, 06:51:14 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just tried to order another bag of Diamond Maintenance on Amazon and can't get any Diamond foods now.  Says deliver in one or two months.  Amazon has their own brand that has the same ingredients and is quite a bit cheaper.  Compares to Blue Diamond food it says.  I just ordered 3 30 lb bags since it is Amazon Prime days.  Saved $14 a bag.  Normally $37 for a 30 lb bag.  Now $23 a bag.  Will have to blend that in now.
roh row!! Looks like I'm headed to st cloud tomorrow.

LPS, they give a reason why?? Otherwise I'll go back to Purina dog food.
« Last Edit: June 06/21/21, 07:16:45 PM by glenn57 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
No reason why.  Maybe it is for sale elsewhere.  ???  Wag is their house brand.  You can get it in salmon or chicken. 
« Last Edit: June 06/21/21, 07:25:41 PM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 I'll go to St cloud. I don't do Amazon.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :bow: awe, so cute!! :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They are pretty close to each other Glenn.  Must be some bonding going on there.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
We also jumped on the prime deal going on. Snow, when I look at a litter of pups if mom has any signs of allergies we leave. No dogs here with all the problems yours has..

After 50 years raising pure breed goldens we learn a few things,thick fur pup's can have issue's that are not hereditary,we buy into a proven bloodline for field ability and hope for the best,I could pick-up a rescue pup and not have one health issue but will the rescue pup have built in natural instincts to hunt? maybe,maybe not? time spent training  a maybe pup isn't worth my time unless just a house dog,then it doesn't matter,I spend 5 months/year in the field chasing everything with feathers,as our pup's age we deal with issues as they arise just like us older folks,our pup's are family and treated as such,the good days and bad days.My boy has given me 8 great years(soon to be 9 next month)
« Last Edit: June 06/23/21, 10:53:24 AM by snow1 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i/vre had 4 labs and 2  shetland sheepdogs and never had any skin issues, or really any other serious problems. 

i've changed my mind on the dog food........aint going into st cloud. if they dont have diamond next time i need dog food for shadow, i'll switch him over to purina. i've fed all my dogs purina with no issues. diamond cant get there product on the shelf, well they just lost a customer!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
They are pretty close to each other Glenn.  Must be some bonding going on there.
  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea not really. it was later in the evening and both tired. shadow is usally always after the sheltie to play.........and that old lady dont want nuttin to do with it.  :rotflmao: it didnt take long after that they acted like a married couple...........and the sheltie moved to the other end of the couch!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

but MAN........shadow has been a lap baby the past 2 days..........  :doofus: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman

After 50 years raising pure breed goldens we learn a few things,thick fur pup's can have issue's that are not hereditary,we buy into a proven bloodline for field ability and hope for the best,I could pick-up a rescue pup and not have one health issue but will the rescue pup have built in natural instincts to hunt? maybe,maybe not? time spent training  a maybe pup isn't worth my time unless just a house dog,then it doesn't matter,I spend 5 months/year in the field chasing everything with feathers,as our pup's age we deal with issues as they arise just like us older folks,our pup's are family and treated as such,the good days and bad days.
No 50 years here but the whipper snapper took a swing and got one without an itch or or other issues plus can swim! The downside I was told from day 1 I couldn't hunt him , but still worked him on wings until I got busted, the dog has some serious drive but kinda nice coming home and only cleaning one dog vs. 2. Not sure I have tge patience on brushing out burs , seeds and whatever out of these thick haired creatures..