Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cement anchors  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

A few months ago I had a new back steps poured. I'm going to put on a new handrail but never saw or used this type of cement anchors before that came with the handrail and there was no instruction sheet with it.  :bs:
I've only used the type you pound in the drilled hole then take the nut off the top.

If my guess is right drill the hole, pound it in. Screw the bolt down to seat it then unscrew the bolt to mount the rail, and hopefully the anchor seats and you can get it to re-thread when mounting!  :scratch:

Anyone use this type before?

Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have used a bunch of them.  Usually there is a spacer that you put over the bolt that you remove after you tighten the anchor. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I have used a bunch of them.  Usually there is a spacer that you put over the bolt that you remove after you tighten the anchor.

Looking at the picture above. It seems that the bolt is as long as the spacer and the nut at the bottom. I'm thinking as you tighten it up the bottom threaded nut pulls up in the spacer sleeve causing it to flare out and catch in the hole. Then you loosen the bolt back up and mount your rail. Put the bolt back in and re-tighten, and hopefully it caught-seated in the hole? But not sure?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I would check how thick the piece is that you plan to mount. Normally only the bolt is out of the concrete.  Before you tighten it, make sure you have enough bolt length to fasten the part.

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I’ve used those set your rail drill the hole and put in the anchor  in and tighten it. Don’t unscrew the anchor for rail install

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
You guys may be thinking about this type, which I have used before.
Drill a hole, pound it down. Take the nut off and mount something.

The one above that came with this rail system has a bolt that has to come out to go through the hole of what ever your mounting, then back into the lower sleeve and nut still in the hole to tighten. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
yes that's the ones I was thinking of.  I believe Birdswacker got it right.  You simply assemble this anchor with the washer outside and then through your rail then screw on the nut. Slide the assembly into the drilled hole and tighten.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
yes that's the ones I was thinking of.  I believe Birdswacker got it right.  You simply assemble this anchor with the washer outside and then through your rail then screw on the nut. Slide the assembly into the drilled hole and tighten.

Yep, Birdswacker is right. I just went out and measured the mounting bracket holes and they are bigger then the anchors.  So drill holes, put up rail, put anchors in holes, pound down and tighten without removing the bolts.

I just couldn't get my mind around how the anchors were going to be tight enough in the holes to tighten with a wench to flare the ends out to hold tight?  We will find out tomorrow :happy1:
Thanks for all your help. 
« Last Edit: January 01/02/21, 07:54:33 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
No problem!!

If these are for exterior make sure they’re zinc coated?

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
No problem!!

They are.  Have you ever put a little sealer around the hole tops to try and keep the water from going in and cracking them when it freezes?  I heard that talked about on a install video.
« Last Edit: January 01/02/21, 08:20:46 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Yep, Birdswacker is right. I just went out and measured the mounting bracket holes and they are bigger then the anchors.  So drill holes, put up rail, put anchors in holes, pound down and tighten without removing the bolts.

I just couldn't get my mind around how the anchors were going to be tight enough in the holes to tighten with a wench to flare the ends out to hold tight?  We will find out tomorrow :happy1:
Thanks for all your help.

It is always more fun when you have a wench with you! 

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
No problem!!

They are.  Have you ever put a little sealer around the hole tops to try and keep the water from going in and cracking them when it freezes?  I heard that talked about on a install video.

Yes use 100% silicone around the base after your done with the install and don’t buy the cheap stuff it’s cheap for a reason

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
And it's up!
Thanks for the help on the anchors.   Darn sturdy you could do hand stands on it! :happy1:
« Last Edit: January 01/03/21, 11:18:39 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job Leech!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nice job there Leech''.  Now I can see how your anchors worked.  I did the same thing a couple years ago.
I had all the pipe, posts and anchors so it was just labor.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Like your rails there deadeye. Saves room on the steps when you need to carry in stuff.  :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Leech~~ that was part of the reason I attached to the outside.  It took longer to figure out the angles to bore the holes than to actually do it.  That top pipe on the steps is one piece and goes all the way through the bottom post. 

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
They both look good guys!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I also wondered about the silicone.  These rails were installed in the 90's, front and back door with a matching fence and gate between the house a garage.  No visible sealant or cracks,  maybe the silicone was filled before the bolt?

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
It might be that if any water is getting into the bolts it's not enough to cause cracking?