Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Nothing to do with fishing or hunting  (Read 1949 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
This a strange accomplishment.  All in the timing.

GREAT SEA STORY
The passenger steamer SS Warrimoo was quietly knifing its way through the waters of the mid-Pacific on its way from Vancouver to Australia.  The navigator had just finished working out a star fix and brought Captain John DS. Phillips, the result. The Warrimoo's position was LAT 0ยบ 31' N and LONG 179 30' W.  The date was 31 December 1899.  "Know what this means?" First Mate Payton broke in, "We're only a few miles from the intersection of the Equator and the International Date Line".  Captain Phillips was prankish enough to take full advantage of theopportunity for achieving the navigational freak of a lifetime.  He called his navigators to the bridge to check & double check the ship's position.  He changed course slightly so as to bear directly on his mark.  Then he adjusted the engine speed. The calm weather & clear night worked in his favor. At mid-night the SS Warrimoo lay on the Equator at exactly the point where it crossed the International Date Line! The consequences of this bizarre position were many: 
The forward part (bow) of the ship was in the Southern Hemisphere & in the middle of summer.
The rear (stern) was in the Northern Hemisphere & in the middle of winter.
The date in the aft part of the ship was 31 December 1899.
In the bow (forward) part it was 1 January 1900.
This ship was therefore not only in:
Two different days,
Two different months,
Two different years,
Two different seasons
But in two different centuries - all at the same time!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I suppose it really could happen.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  That's neat GT. Coming home from Sydney 30 years ago I left there at Noon on Sunday and arrived in LA at 10:00 am the same day. So I was in LA two hours before I left Sydney.
mm