Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: sous vide cooking  (Read 15572 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well as I said the kids got me one of these things..  I knew it was coming and I was ok with it..  I might not have purchased it but as gift, oh well!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  so anyway yesterday morning about 11 am or so I placed a 3 1/2 pound seasoned chuck roast in a freezer bag, actually had it in the bag the night before seasoning the meat.  so after 24 hours I pulled it and let rest 15 minutes or more.. but then I took the drippings and made gravy for the first time from scratch..  then sliced the roast.. and did it taste good!!  had it cooked to perfect medium or so..  142 to 144 degrees..  next is going to be chicken breasts...  I'm not telling any one to go get one of these but I know can see where it has a place in the kitchen!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well as I said the kids got me one of these things..  I knew it was coming and I was ok with it..  I might not have purchased it but as gift, oh well!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  so anyway yesterday morning about 11 am or so I placed a 3 1/2 pound seasoned chuck roast in a freezer bag, actually had it in the bag the night before seasoning the meat.  so after 24 hours I pulled it and let rest 15 minutes or more.. but then I took the drippings and made gravy for the first time from scratch..  then sliced the roast.. and did it taste good!!  had it cooked to perfect medium or so..  142 to 144 degrees..  next is going to be chicken breasts...  I'm not telling any one to go get one of these but I know can see where it has a place in the kitchen!!!   :happy1:
not on your life will I have one. :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy that sounds good but dang 24 hours? a guy could starve in that time.I smoked  a pork shoulder roast for 4 hours yesterday and that was too dang long.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Mike, did you end up browning the roast in a fry pan or dutch oven after the boiling?

A good part of the flavor comes from the browned bits on the outside.

After 24 hours, did all the fat and gristle melt away out of the meat?

Normally I end up shredding or chunking a cooked chuck roast, but slicing worked good for you, eh?

I'd love to see some pics.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Steve-o, I elected not to this time but I will next time for sure.. but still the flavor was darn good!! but yes the fat was really melted away..  gristle too!! not much trimming at all!!  seeing as I only cooked it too 142 no shredding so sliced nicely..  I could see shaving it too!!  pic's I'm not up to speed on them and I can only say maybe someday there...  besides it's all done and in the fridge.. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Steve-o, I elected not to this time but I will next time for sure.. but still the flavor was darn good!! but yes the fat was really melted away..  gristle too!! not much trimming at all!!  seeing as I only cooked it too 142 no shredding so sliced nicely..  I could see shaving it too!!  pic's I'm not up to speed on them and I can only say maybe someday there...  besides it's all done and in the fridge..
mayhaps I need to teach you some day. :super smiley: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :nerd: of find a 5 year old in your neighborhood. :smoking: :evil: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :mooning: :pouty: I'm SURE mike wanted me to!!  ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
biggest thing for me is figuring out from the phone to computer to here..  so no thanks, today   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
biggest thing for me is figuring out from the phone to computer to here..  so no thanks, today   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
you can post the picture straight from your phone to the site

Sheez, I gotta borrow HD's crayons. :rotflmao: :surrender: :rotflmao:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
For the love of God Mike.
Just say Del was right all these years!  :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doah:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
As we get older our kids worry that we cant chew our food so they buy mush makers for us. Followed by the  purolator then juicer!  :pouty:  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 01/04/21, 03:14:18 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nope

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you can post the picture straight from your phone to the site

Sheez, I gotta borrow HD's crayons. :rotflmao: :surrender: :rotflmao:
don't go on the internet with the phone...

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
As we get older our kids worry that we cant chew our food so they buy mush makers for us. Followed by the  purolator then juicer!  :pouty:  :rotflmao:

pour vous...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Mike, how long do the directions on the souze boil thingy does it say ya gotta boil a lottza mottza pizza. :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
wouldn't have any idea, I use my pizza oven for them.... 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
one thing about this sous vide thing is now I look at it as another utensil in my cooking.  between the 2 smokers, 2 grill,  the kitchen stove, the air fryer and deep frying I have some good things to work with for cooking..  :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How often do you use the air fryer?? :scratch: I've heard alot of mixed results. Most bad was doing fish???

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
How often do you use the air fryer?? :scratch: I've heard alot of mixed results. Most bad was doing fish???

been using it more and more, but have not done fresh fish in it, haven't figured that out... they say it works, not sure...  One thing most folks don't understand maybe is they don't cook as fast as deep frying..  but I do eggs rolls and all kinds of other things..  baked taters come out great..  the air fryer I have I can also bake broil toast air fry and has a rotisserie..  but it's not that big so a medium chicken would be the biggest for that... 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Isn't an air fryer basically a small convected oven? :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I would say yes, for me I don't need to use the gas over for the small amounts I need, so the air fryer fills that need for me..  and my over does have convection and air fry on it..

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Both our stoves have convected ovens on 'em but no air fryer. For usually just 2 of us the convected oven doesn't get used that much either.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I need to use our sous vide more.  It is so easy to do too.  Our air fryer does a good job on frozen breaded shrimp and french fry type of things.  The wife likes to use it. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just got an air fryer for Christmas from Mrs. Cheviot, coming highly recommended by Auntie Mar Mar. Now we're done playing around in mold, raccoon & bat crap, can't wait to try the air fryer on taters & onions. I've heard frozen breaded onion rings are the bomb too. :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ya got that right Dotch!!!! enjoy!!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got an air fryer for Christmas from Mrs. Cheviot, coming highly recommended by Auntie Mar Mar. Now we're done playing around in mold, raccoon & bat crap, can't wait to try the air fryer on taters & onions. I've heard frozen breaded onion rings are the bomb too. :happy1:
:scratch: :scratch: :doah: :doah: :confused: you dont see the pattern here Dotch,.........SHE  bought that for YOU!!!!! so she's not cooking. YOU ARE!!!!!!!!  :smoking: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao: Ya but look at the nice yard art I got her outside the bedroom window!
 :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao: Ya but look at the nice yard art I got her outside the bedroom window!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
who could resist that!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: