Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: sous vide cooking  (Read 15479 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well yesterday I did some seasoned chicken breasts in the sous vide and they were so juicy and tender and flavorful!!  that is a great way to cook white to keep it from drying out!!   turned around and have bottom rump roast in it now...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
How long did you cook the breasts Mike?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
6 hours at 147

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the roast I'm doing 25 hours at 144... 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
the roast I'm doing 25 hours at 144...
:doofus: :crazy: boiled meat in a bag!!!!!!!! :crazy: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ok so just to show i might care a little bit, does the meat have to be thawed out before one boils it??????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is one of the perks of this, no it does not from every thing I learned..  you just compensate for the thawing time to the finale cook time... 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that roast came out great!! juicy and tender!!  gravy was good too..  threw a ring of potato sausage in the pot to so get that cooked too!! 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds great Mike!  Yesterday I did the sacrilegious cooking of baby backs in the oven.  I rubbed them and did the same double wrap, meat side down.  Put in oven at 250 for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.  I checked at about 3 1/2 I think and they were tender as heck.  SO I got me another double thick foil and took the ribs out of foil #1 and put them meat side up in foil #2.  Don't need all of the liquid anymore.  I put some Sweet Baby Rays on them and put them under the broiler for about 10 minutes.  Waited till the sauce was darker and sizzling.  They were so darn good and it is so easy.  The broiling the sauce on top made the whole thing!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Sacrilege Schmacrilege.

Smoke 'em, bake 'em, broil 'em... just don't boil 'em!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
well yesterday I did some seasoned chicken breasts in the sous vide and they were so juicy and tender and flavorful!!  that is a great way to cook white to keep it from drying out!!   turned around and have bottom rump roast in it now...
:scratch: So, you & Del gonna start hangin out together?  :doah:               ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: So, you & Del gonna start hangin out together?  :doah:               ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
:smoking: :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well, i'm gonna go and BOIL up some boneless nords in some really hot canola oil pretty soon. :nerd: :nerd:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's the 2nd time  that question or form was asked..  just sayin..........   :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
that's the 2nd time  that question or form was asked..  just sayin..........   :rotflmao: :happy1:
WELL  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
only you ya clown!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Sous vide some carntitas I had vac sealed in freezer and found.   18 hrs at 165, crisped in skillet, mmmm,

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
There is no way I can plan meals 18 hours in advance.  :surrender:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
'zactly. The pace things move around here sometimes, I'd start the damn thing up, forget about it and a week later no telling what I'd find. :doah:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
'zactly. The pace things move around here sometimes, I'd start the damn thing up, forget about it and a week later no telling what I'd find. :doah:   
I bet it would be tender.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet it would be tender.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I'd probably see it in the mail soon after too  :confused: :surrender: :party1: :banghead: :banghead: :taz:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You got it, buddy!  :happy1:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn catches on quickly dotch!! Just think tho Glenn , maybe you can boil jars n rusty rims with this contraption.. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn catches on quickly dotch!! Just think tho Glenn , maybe you can boil jars n rusty rims with this contraption.. :happy1:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: naw actually slowly and surely i'm starting to toss the real bad ones...........but the aint sellin new ones, so i might have to rummage threw the garbage now!!!!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
There is no way I can plan meals 18 hours in advance.  :surrender:

ok here is another meal I cooked..  bone in pork chops for 2 or hours and then browned..  so darn juicy and tender...  no 18 or 24 hour planning... 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So does it matter what kind of chunk of beef a guy sous vides?  Is a bottom round or top round any different when done that way? Or top sirloin are on sale at times too. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
So does it matter what kind of chunk of beef a guy sous vides?  Is a bottom round or top round any different when done that way? Or top sirloin are on sale at times too.
I have done 3 different cuts of roast beef, getting a 4th one tomorrow..  results are great!!!  have not done the top sirloin yet but I'm sure I will...   will be doing chicken breasts again soon too!!  and again a short cooking time for them too!!! 

https://foodvacbags.com/pages/sous-vide-cooking-chart

here a site I found for a guide line... 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
What cut of beef?   Mainly a time and temp issue.   Lean and tough like round need a long long time at low temp.   Tender and lean like sirloin or tenderloing not near as long but low temp.    More fatty like rib eye can use a little higher temp to get the fat to render a little more.   

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  Mike, when thew receipe says "5 to 10 hours" how do you decide how long to cook?  :scratch: :scratch:
mm

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya that is quite a spread.