Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Feeding the birds.  (Read 2887 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
To be on the safe side, I Googled this to see if I needed to know more. This is what I found, "Birds need high levels of saturated fat, such as raw suet and lard. ... Whatever fats or oils you use, they must be mixed with flour, oats or other cereals so that the mixture is dry to the touch and cannot smear a bird's feathers. Don't put fat-based food out in warm weather as it will go rancid.
Just something to use if you have a bird feeder and some kind of mesh to put it in.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good idea. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bacon grease is probably not a good idea however...unless you're trying to catch raccoons or skunks in live traps.  :shocked:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/suet-mealworms-and-other-bird-foods/#:~:text=Back%20to%20Top-,Bacon%20drippings,the%20preservatives%20used%20in%20bacon.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)