Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New land owner and new to MN - need LOTS of advice  (Read 4856 times)

Offline FourPines

• Minnow
    • The Four Pines
Just bought a little more than 10 acres in Nowthen (Elk River). Next season will be our first opportunity to hunt on the property. We've seen a lot of wildlife on the property (deer, pheasant, quail, rabbit, duck, geese). I've never owned land, and never lived in MN before so I'm going to have lots of questions about getting property setup best. I've read a bunch so I could wing it, but I'd much rather get "real" advice from experience.

We've seen a lot of deer (does) moving along the blue arrows and tons of tracks really all over the property especially in the back woods and trails. There have been lots of pheasant in the back pasture (yellow shape) and in the woods on the other side of the brook along the lake edge. The property to the West (right looking at this picture) is 40 acres of grassland along the lake and to the East is my neighbor's 40 acres with woods and grassland around his lake.

So I guess my questions are around what to plant, where, and when...that's all. LOL. I've got a bird dog we are working on, so I'd really like to hold and grow the population of pheasant and quail (what else for upland birds? grouse up here?). I was thinking of planting some tall grass and corn in the back pasture. Thought that would provide good cover for birds and a bedding area for deer. Also was thinking of putting down some brassicas or clover, but what the heck do I know?!

I also have an acre of pasture at the front of the property pretty much unused. Any suggestions on that area? My wife would love to have some fruit trees (already have a few pear, apricot, and apple trees closer to the house). Right now, that piece of land is very underutilized.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: January 01/11/21, 09:09:57 AM by FourPines »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
10 acres isn't a lot of land to do much hunting or wild life management on. Your best bet for hunting is going to be on the back side on the other side of the swamp because your house is smack in the middle of your property. Not saying with some improvements back there you cant pull a few deer out of there.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: January 01/11/21, 09:18:04 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Nowthen is almost a suburb now. Check with city hall before you go shooting a gun other then target practice it may not be allowed.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Had the same thought as Dutchboy.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Nowthen is almost a suburb now. Check with city hall before you go shooting a gun other then target practice it may not be allowed.

Bow hunting may be allowed if gun hunting isn't?
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
cant help but look at yur land as a major pinch point traver coridor. i dont think any habitat inprovements would be needed.  i mean all wildlife would travel least risistance right smack down the middle.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline FourPines

• Minnow
    • The Four Pines
Thanks all. This is what the MN map shows:

2020 Deer Permit Area 227
Designation: Intensive: 3 deer limit
Seasons
Archery: Sept. 19 - Dec. 31
Youth: Oct. 15 - Oct. 18
Early Antlerless: N/A
Firearm A: Nov. 7 - Nov. 15
Firearm B: N/A
Muzzleloader: Nov. 28 - Dec. 13

Shotgun w/slugs only, muzzleloader, and archery

Nothing obvious on Nowthen's site about hunting, and the previous owner had no issues with it but I'll certainly check.

I'm certainly not looking for all of us to take our 3 deer intensive limit off just my land, but I will be putting back-yard meat in my freezer as needed.

Boar, I was thinking the same thing and probably why so much activity through there. I guess I'm looking for the right way to bring in some bucks and how to foster a substantial growth in bird population so that if we want to take a handful a couple of times a year, it's sustainable.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Welcome fourpines,good on you to have such a nice play ground,planting birds my experience with pheasants you'll lose about 30%,best to release chicks at 12 weeks also quail are a not hardy bird in our harsh winters,might reconsider hungarian partridge or just stick to pheasants for the time being,then weed out predators as you'll have coyotes fox and coons and shunks I'm sure in your area.Walk along low area's for tracks to see what roams your land and area.haven't been near nowthen in years but "urban sprawl is coming your way fast.

As stated regarding shooting be sure to call the city about discharging a firearm also dnr enforcement to be sure,never know might call city hall and get a anti gun twit that'll say NO shooting allowed.

the nearest city I live and hunt near has regulations for us shotgunners,no 10ga boom sticks as they make to much noise I guess,neighbors complained,but hunting local is coming to a end last summer they punched in over 600 dwellings within 20 square miles,took land via enimate domain is what a farmer told me,he lost 60 arces and his house,bad deal,people keep popping kids out soon our burbs will be cities,sad to see.
« Last Edit: January 01/11/21, 01:06:07 PM by snow1 »