Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cooper  (Read 37883 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is the magical mixture for sure.  :happy1:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Hmmmm,your skunk mixture works?

when my boy was young he got nail good from mr stinky,we were duck hunting near milan mn,camped on the river,dang pup had stinky yellow pizzz all over his face,must of got a good whiff of my skunk anal region.

thru the pup in the back of my truck and headed to town,had dawn dish soap in camp,but was told tomato juice is the ticket,bought 2 gallons of it,at camp threw mr stinky in the river,scubbed with dawn,then poured all the tomato juice on him.still stunk to high heaven,so not a chance camping with mr skunk dog we headed back home,called the vet...barr none this worked on the spot...."skunk off" he also gave me a small spray bottle of this juice  incase I got sprayed,that was 20 years ago and many skunks later,great stuff
« Last Edit: April 04/04/22, 11:32:30 AM by snow1 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll just say it works from 1st hand experience with the pups... 

https://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/evr_dg_how-to-get-skunk-smell-off-dog
« Last Edit: April 04/04/22, 11:31:53 AM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe ya mike as others have claimed the same,just not in my case I like the immediate effect of skunk off even after stapling the stink in with dish soap,vet asked me if I had used anything else,and he smiled when I gave him the run down,plus I'm sure he(vet) got a whiff on my new manly toilet water on my boots/clothes.

plus other dog handlers claim female FDS works wonders as well,never went there in my case.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LP,

Curious if cooper rolls in your meadow pies? or eats them as well.I had one golden that loved green/brown steaming hot pies from the long faces in the barn,just nasty rolling in those clumps.  dead fish was a gimmy as well,gotta get that stink on.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe I've lucked out picking pups,  by the sounds of it you've had some real winners over the years snow!!  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Maybe they watched the master!!! :sleazy: :popcorn: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cooper hasn't rolled in them much lately.  If he does we go right to the outdoor faucet and hose him down.  He does munch on the hard ones at times.  I have used the soap, peroxide, warm water for skunks a few times and it works great. My go to method of choice.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe they watched the master!!! :sleazy: :popcorn: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Hey Hey glenn your the one that ordered a case of anti "poop" eating bi- product trying to kick the habit.

Yup bobber,seems all my boyz over the past 50 years like to roll in stink,everyone loved rotting dead fish along lakeshore walks...lol,gotta love em regardless.

PS, nice n easy to use "skunk off"  one just spray's (spray bottle) the effected area,no hosing the pup down,just easy peasy,works on contact.

Now that spring has sprung,snow melted away,darn pup's alway's find new smells,they can't help what they do,the stinkier the better.
« Last Edit: April 04/05/22, 07:30:15 AM by snow1 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO the new Cooper and Buddy project is to weigh them.  I am getting closer to success.  I am trying to get Cooper to stand on the scale first with his front legs and then his back legs.  He keeps sitting down when I do the back legs so not completely on the scale.  I will wait and have the wife help.  Her touch helps. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL LP, kids....you must be using a bathroom scale eh?I'll bet cooper thinks it's a game .

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup Snow using the bathroom scale.  It helped with him on leash and both of us to keep the scale in the right spot.  Buddy did it like a pro.  Maybe his previous owners did it like that???   Cooper is about 80 and Buddy is now the little guy at 71.   It was sort of a rodeo so will do it again sometime.  lol

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I bet you and the wife have quite the conversation when this is going on ....lol,"sit",stay....and of course "NO" been there done that over the years.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL  Exactly.  We were both laughing.  She wondered what was up when she saw the bathroom scale in the front room when she came in after work.  Always a circus.. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
In the magic mixture we forgot the baking soda.  SO peroxide, baking soda, dish soap and water. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: would of been to be a mouse in the corner watching that circus!!!!! :evil:

only time shadow gets weighed is at the vet clinic. we dont own a scale at home. its hard enough to gethim to sit on the vet scale, even with it being like 2ft by 4 ft. but he is getting better with his sit and stay commands!!!!!!!! wish my wife would listen that good!!!! :evil: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
day dreamer!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The trouble with the new Ranger is that he comes running and jumps in when he hears it turning over.  I have to kick him out so the gets some excercise sometimes.  Him and the wife are going to have to fight over who gets to ride with me.  They both jumped in the other day and I broke out laughing and looked at her and said you two have to decide who's boss of the situation.  She bent her legs so Cooper and her fit.  That won't last long though and she will toughen up on the issue.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My boy after a swim which happens multiple times a day with the water so close to us now. He was 80 lbs a couple of months ago. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good lord! 80 lbs. & all that energy, he must blow thru a pile of dog food. It goes to a good cause tho! :cool:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
lol  yes I measure it out too.  He gets 2 cups twice a day.  Buddy is 12 now so only gets 1 cup twice a day.  They both get a treat or two daily also.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like Cooper is heavier than shadow?? :scratch: shadow is tall!!

How much do you feed cooper, LPS? Shadow gets 2 cups twice a day!!

Maybe I should give him more,  :scratch: maybe then he won't eat the fish I took out last night!! :confused: :angry2: training-087 training-087 :banghead: :banghead:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh my no nord tonight!!!   :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh I'm having nords. Just took out another container. :pouty: but my last one  :pouty:

He didn't get them all. :sleazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Read what I said to Dotch Glenn. 2 cups twice a day.  It was up to 6 cups a day when he was an older pup. 
« Last Edit: June 06/05/22, 12:32:07 PM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Read what I said to Dotch Glenn. 2 cups twice a day.  It was up to 6 cups a day when he was an older pup.
you posted that while I must of been pecking away!! :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When we are away and the dogs are in the kennel.  We just fill a feeder for Buddy and he can help himself.  Cooper has an automatic feeder that the wife bought for him so it rations out his portions.  He would eat a bucket full if he had it.  Well the last time we forgot to zip tie it to the kennel and he of course knocked to over and got the top off and helped himself to all of it.  lol   Well this time we did zip tie it but now he knows he can push the release button and get the top open and eat it all at once.  lol   He was hungry when we got home. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman