Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104695 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we grew the German giants years ago and they were both large and tasty!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I grew daikons (tillage radishes) a few years back. They were OK but didn't keep well. Have had red meats keep well into March. The daikons tended to break off when dug & were bland flavored compared to the red meats (watermelon radishes). I liked the texture of the latter better as well. More crisp like a kohlrabi & sweeter in flavor initially with the radish bite following. Still letting them grow a while before harvesting to let them get full sized & flavored. Seems like a couple hard frosts help their cause. Also have some German giants that I'm letting enlarge.

What I've been harvesting so far are early August planted spring radishes, white globe & cherry belle. There's also a purple radish, sweet something or other, that I won't plant for fall again. Sorta woody & not anything special other than their color to me anyway. This project has been interesting. Where they're a tad too thick & I harvest those that are ready, the plants left behind come on rather than bolting with a little watering. The daylength & weather cooling down probably has a lot to do with that.     
Dotch and Roony have all the good dirt down there. :pouty: :pouty: :confused: :evil:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Kalarbi is the only thing left in my garden. And that's gonna be out by Sunday or Monday at the latest.

Tuesday I gotz a date get nordern Minnesota. :sleazy: :rotflmao: :happy1: maybe Monday iffin the wife drives me bonkers. :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
As of yesterday my garden is done.  :happy1: not sure if it was the long hot and dry summer but glad it's done

I usually try to extend it for as long as I can. My mater supply is getting really low, can feel withdrawal already. :confused:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :violin: :violin: :violin: :cry: :cry: :cry:                     :sleazy: :nerd:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :moon: awe both of ya bite me
 :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
While some have quit gardening for the season *cough* glenn *cough* we're soldiering on. Mrs. Cheviot harvested the squash & pumpkins so we had to try out a buttercup, one that had sunscald on it. Also picked some salad greens & a few yellow pear tomatoes. Prolly the biggest find tho was 3 cukes that still looked edible. They were very edible. Add some snap peas, a couple smaller radishes & a leftover pork chop; supper was served. No problem with the squash other than outward appearance. Flavor was awesome & it was relatively dry textured. The season seems to have a lot to do with the latter & we prefer them like that. They soak up more Hope creamery butter that way!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No problem poopin' tomorrow!  :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We're going on a cruise tomorrow. Better pack a roll of shop towels. Hopefully there's still a lot of corn to be picked off that direction... :shocked:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I picked up two nice acorn squash at Sekapps orchard today. Forgot to grab mater's though..... :angry: Love that squash with some bacon,lotsa butter, and a tbsp of maple surple in the center.... :tongue:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
While some have quit gardening for the season *cough* glenn *cough* we're soldiering on. Mrs. Cheviot harvested the squash & pumpkins so we had to try out a buttercup, one that had sunscald on it. Also picked some salad greens & a few yellow pear tomatoes. Prolly the biggest find tho was 3 cukes that still looked edible. They were very edible. Add some snap peas, a couple smaller radishes & a leftover pork chop; supper was served. No problem with the squash other than outward appearance. Flavor was awesome & it was relatively dry textured. The season seems to have a lot to do with the latter & we prefer them like that. They soak up more Hope creamery butter that way!  :happy1:
:scratch: :scratch: you eat all that with your fingers?????? :pouty:

and no boodles??????? what the hell................... getting ready for canada???????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Cold here this morning.....35 degrees. I'm going to start digging potatoes. still have them and carrots in the ground. Carrots are sweeter after some frosts. Over the course of the growing season they store up energy in the form of starches. When temperatures start to drop, they convert these starches into sugars, which act as an anti-freezing agent for their cells. Thus getting sweeter.

Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They just won't quit. I'm pretty much burnt out on tomatoes but they just keep producing and if it doesn't freeze soon there are lots of green ones still on the vines.   :confused:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm going in wish me luck.  I usually wait for a frost or two to dig up the canna bulbs but with the rain coming and hunting time, I will dig them today. 

That's a 6 foot chain link fence in front of them. I may use the chain saw to cut the stems.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey Dotch did you ever get some of them bulbs????    :scratch:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday 5he warden said she was going to pick some bell peppers to freeze. She didn't make it too far. She got twenty of them off the first plant, that should be enough for winter she says. All our peppers did well this year. The tomatoes are still doing well also.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you freeze them whole, or core and seed first?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I cut them up after I seed them to freeze and it works well for me...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I froze mine whole...

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Finished phase one and two. Now resting rubber arms before phase three, boxing bulbs for storage.

Phase one - Cut stalks.

Phase two - Dig bulbs. This is about 1/3 from this garden.

This is from one bulb that was planted this spring. Crazy.

Cutting cannas exposed more tomatoes.  :rotflmao:

Another garden with cannas. I cut these but don't dig the bulbs.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think those Cannas are beautiful.  Do you have to go to this much work with them every year?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I cut them up after I seed them to freeze and it works well for me...
That is what she does too.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LPS,
Yes, they are beautiful and easy to grow. But they do take some work. The bulbs are not hardy and if they freeze they will rot and not grow.  You need to dig and store inside the bulbs for planting in spring after danger of frost is gone.  The bulbs usually multiply by a factor of four. Meaning if you plant a 5 gallon bucket full you can dig enough bulbs to fill four buckets.  I usually dig half and plant maybe 2/3 of them.  For the record I completed phase 3 and all the bulbs I intend to keep are boxed and in the house. I will leave the boxes open for a couple weeks to allow moisture to escape.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Haven't dug any cannas here yet. They still look like they're in mid-August form as well they should. They broke the all time record for GDU accumulation at the SROC in Waseca yesterday. The record was set back in 1988, one hot SOB, which was 2956. The question is, will we break 3000? One thing I tried with the cannas this year was deadheading them once the heads were done blooming, in an attempt to get more blooms. Some reading indicated it might make them produce more & bigger bulbs too. Not that there was a problem before in that dept. but I thought it seemed to make them bloom more profusely.

Picked a gallon bag of snap peas last nite before the rain. Better than fishing them out of the mud.  :happy1:

« Last Edit: October 10/13/21, 11:17:54 AM by Dotch »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oohhh...crunchy sweet goodness!  :tongue: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I ate quite a few out in the patch for quality control purposes. Good thing it was getting dark or the bag wouldn't have been nearly as full.  :bonk: 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You weren't in the bag when you were bagging, were ya?  ;)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I have one big plant of Serrano's that I had to put a mater cage on it early on, with a smaller one bought by mistake.  Anyhow this sucker just keeps kicking em out, between the quarts of hot sauce lately , salsa earlier and dishing em to the neighbors I'm bringing more to work and let the southern folk fight for the rest, I left  some on yet if I can talk the mrs on making some Verde sauce. 4 plants each of bell and jalapeno yet but the rest got yanked today..

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Purty boober!  :happy1:

Hey Barry, when do you usually plant your salad greens in the planter for fall? Might plant some this weekend for chits and grins. Have some fiberglass hanging feeders sans the hangers that might work well for that.  :scratch: